Post Thanks / Like

Paint thickness meter/filler detector?

Hello all,

I`ve been looking into different tools for evaluating paint thickness and detecting areas with bodyfiller. It seems that devices range from spring loaded magnet scales all the way up to advanced digital ultrasonic machines. My needs are twofold - evaluating the thickness of existing paint prior to correction, and also to spot check older cars for filler.

Is there anything in the sub-$300 range that might be a good choice, or are all the low-cost items gimmicks and the high end stuff far pricier?

thank you very much for any insight or advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint thickness meter/filler detector?

Wolfe- I don`t know what you *should* buy, but I do know one that you should *NOT* buy! Don`t get a PhaseII, I simply hate mine....least user-friendly thing ever.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint thickness meter/filler detector?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
    Hello all,

I`ve been looking into different tools for evaluating paint thickness and detecting areas with bodyfiller. It seems that devices range from spring loaded magnet scales all the way up to advanced digital ultrasonic machines. My needs are twofold - evaluating the thickness of existing paint prior to correction, and also to spot check older cars for filler.

Is there anything in the sub-$300 range that might be a good choice, or are all the low-cost items gimmicks and the high end stuff far pricier?

thank you very much for any insight or advice.
    Wolfe--

Just remember that in the sub-$300 range, all you are going to be able to measure, with some degree +/- of error will be Total Thickness - everything, any sealer, body filler, primer, and paint together...

What is good about any meter like this is that once you baseline a place and you correct that place, you can measure again and get an idea of how many microns, you have just removed of real clearcoat on the top...
    That is all mine is good for..

I just corrected a new 2018 Tesla Model 3 in Red, and the total thickness was all over the map.. From 257um to 154um and even less in places..
    And it was full of scratches from the Factory, Dealer, or whoever messed with it before the Owner picked it up.. He has only had it for 2 weeks..
    DanF

Thread Information