Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cost of Biohazard cleaning?

Just wondering if anyone offers this service for law enforcement, government, or for individual customers. What are the prices like? I`ve heard that biohazard detailing can go as high as $800 per vehicle. Of course, there is a much higher operating cost when including equipment, regulations, insurance, etc.

Just wanted to see if anyone has some input.

Thanks.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cost of Biohazard cleaning?

We have a customer who does this for a living and vehicles are the lowest on the priority list .. crime scenes are where the big money is at, but the cost of doing this and procuring the proper disposal is something to be considered including the proper clothing, insurance ...etc and having the right connections to get the jobs ...
    All i know is he goes through a lot of Enzyme
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know most companies that offer this service focus on crime scene cleanup, hoarding cleanup, etc and vehicles are just an additional service that they offer. I would think that the cost of a biohazard detail would be triple the price of a regular detail. I was just wondering if $800 per police cruiser was accurate

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AtoZDetailing View Post
    I know most companies that offer this service focus on crime scene cleanup, hoarding cleanup, etc and vehicles are just an additional service that they offer. I would think that the cost of a biohazard detail would be triple the price of a regular detail. I was just wondering if $800 per police cruiser was accurate

I think it would depend on the community and the resources available and how bad the mess is ... throwing away interior parts and replacing them could turn out cheaper ...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Ronkh, JustJesus, AtoZDetailing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    All i know is he goes through a lot of Enzyme
    aka "The Skunk"
    Likes AtoZDetailing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You also need training/certification.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes JustJesus, AtoZDetailing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    You also need training/certification.
    I read up on all the training and certification required. I just can seem to find information on pricing. I was hoping someone on this forum had experience in the field.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think there might be more money/work in crime scenes than cleaning up police cruisers. In this area, many of the cruisers have a solid, molded, plastic back seat along with smooth plastic doors and a plating below the window to the front. Combine that with the plexi-glass shield separating the officer`s front compartment from the rear compartment where the detainees are held, and that rear area is pretty much sealed off. I`ve been told the idea is so officers or the mechanics can simply hose out that entire area if needed. The whole thing can probably be cleaned up with strong hose/pressure washer and a wipe down with a disinfectant.
    Likes Ronkh, AtoZDetailing, Wing Commander liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I would think there might be more money/work in crime scenes than cleaning up police cruisers. In this area, many of the cruisers have a solid, molded, plastic back seat along with smooth plastic doors and a plating below the window to the front. Combine that with the plexi-glass shield separating the officer`s front compartment from the rear compartment where the detainees are held, and that rear area is pretty much sealed off. I`ve been told the idea is so officers or the mechanics can simply hose out that entire area if needed. The whole thing can probably be cleaned up with strong hose/pressure washer and a wipe down with a disinfectant.
    The cruisers over here have the same thing. I just don`t see bodily fluids from detainees (blood, urine, vomit, etc.) being washed out with a hose. I do know that companies offer the service for vehicles, I just don`t know what the price point is.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never had to clean up any “person’s” messes in a car. Co-workers have had to. Yuck!

I do recall when I was a young animal control officer having to clean up from a dog vomiting. I picked up a stray and the reporting family decided Fido would enjoy a slice of pizza. I distinctly remember thinking, “who knew a dog could swallow an entire slice of Pizza Hut pizza”.

Post Thanks / Like

The cruisers over here have the same thing. I just don`t see bodily fluids from detainees (blood, urine, vomit, etc.) being washed out with a hose...
    Having owned a fair number of LE vehicles with such fittings...NO, they don`t just hose/pw them out. You`d never get all the water dried up/cleared out in a million years, you`d just cause rust/electrical issues. The plastic seat/rubber floor just make conventional cleaning go faster/better.

Heh heh...Dog Vomit...BTDT so many times I couldn`t guess within a few dozen. Easy enough if the vehicle`s set up for dog-hauling, still infinitely easier than human vomit even when the vehicle is not...if only because there`s almost always a lot less of it and its production usually had different causes.

Post Thanks / Like

Biohazards are a highly overlooked part of detailing, even for the general public vehicles. Those of you in the south know what mold and mildew can do to a "neglected" vehicle and what kind of heath hazards that can pose to a detailer.

The proverbial detailing question of "Can you clean this up?" for a human body discharge/accident poses all kinds of risks from blood-borne pathogens (AIDS, hepatitis A,B, & C,), not to mention the current flu epidemic from a vomit clean-up.
    I am not sure many detailers are equipped with the proper safety personal gear (masks, suits, gloves) to handle biohazards.. It`s a reminder of why some of you wear poly/latex gloves, not only to protect your skin from car-care chemicals, but also from these "forgotten" biohazards.

It`s also a reminder of having your tetanus shots and flu shots up-to-date.
    GB detailer
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Thanks Poorboy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking to the crime scene comment above, I represented a client who recently acquired a foreclosure property deal with a biohazard bill/lien. The amount was $32k for cleanup. The prior owner committed suicide in the house and it wasn’t discovered for a while. Pretty gross to think about actually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    ..The prior owner committed suicide in the house and it wasn’t discovered for a while. Pretty gross to think about actually.
    People who exercise that option (whom I`d never second-guess) oughta be considerate about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I`ve seen two cases of suicide, no 3, in my line of work. (Insurance carrier, claims dept).

One was fairly recent, and we insure the HOA. Or maybe the property itself? I forget. But yeah, the scene left behind was kind of bad.

I should stop reading this thread....grossing me out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information