Post Thanks / Like

Upcharging for sealant over wax?

This is a trend ive noticed over the years. Detailers upcharging to apply a sealant instead of a wax. Im curious to know others thoughts/options on the matter. I see some local detailers charging "X" amount for 1 month of protection, "Y" amount for 3-4 months, and "Z" amount for a year (no coatings, they claim a year on sealant).

For the record, Im talking about actual waxes, not just spray waxes or quick detailers with some "protection" in them, as I know a lot of basic details usually just go with the spray wax. Which is perfectly acceptable for maintenance washes IMO.

I personally find that in terms of how much work is involved, its really the same. Sealant or wax, it still takes the same amount of work to apply and remove (most of them at least). The only difference may be with time to allow a sealant to haze before wiping off, which IMO I would consider negligible over the course of the entire car as you apply it. So why the upcharge to go with a sealant? Sealants really don`t cost much more, if at all, than waxes these days. My first thought is that its just a way to make more money to do the same amount of work, but id hate to just jump to conclusions if someone has a more detailed explanation.

I try to offer the best protection for my customers. I kind of feel like if I were to offer a wax as an LSP, and it only lasts 3-4 weeks, im kind of doing my customer a disservice by not giving them the most bang for their buck, when it wouldn`t cost me anymore time/effort/product to just apply a sealant that will give them 3-4 months. I really don`t see any way to justify charging any extra money for it other than I just want to pad my pockets with money.

What are your opinions on the matter?
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Migue liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upcharging for sealant over wax?

I think what they are paying for is the amount of time between needing a new application of protection. They have to get it done only every 4 months instead of 1. Its not about the application times.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Gustavo M, PRND[S] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are 3 sides of viewing this:

On one hand, a lot of times a longer lasting product does not mean it is more expensive.
    For example, 845 and Opti-Seal are very economical, but will last much longer than most premium waxes you can buy.

On the other hand, yes a longer lasting protection will be more attractive to customers who arent really into detailing.
    People often relate long lasting = quality work.

And on 3rd hand, the application time between a 1 month wax and 4 month sealant isnt much different.

I always include a spray wax for free in any wash package.
    A lot of customers come back telling me the car is very slick or send me water beading shots telling me how much they like it.
    For my (non coating) detail, I go with a long lasting product that should many months.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

I charge the same for all waxes and sealants....actually they are just included in the paint correction price and is not itemized. Obviously coatings are extra.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I charge the same for all waxes and sealants....actually they are just included in the paint correction price and is not itemized. Obviously coatings are extra.
    Exactly, personally I don`t use waxes unless people request it. It`s more work, less protection and won`t cover as much. I hydro or IGL premier as my defaults, polish angle is extra as are coatings. Product cost and application time/skill are what I use to determine prices, not "lets get the guy for this much" tactics.

I also include hydro`ing the wheels as standard practice, just like cleaning the drums.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much the same for me. I charge the same for sealant or wax and generally use sealants regularly for customers over a wax unless the customer specifically asks to use a wax. I do charge $25 if the customer wants a wax topper.
    I also include sealing the wheels with Hydro 2 as standard as well.

Post Thanks / Like

my basic LSP is Rupes P808
    I`d probably have to charge more if they wanted a paste wax (which wouldn`t last as long) because that`s more time I`m spending applying the wax

I will, however, allow anyone to upgrade to PA Master Sealant or PBL Paint Sealant for $20...and that`s not because those products cost more, its because applying them literally takes more time and my prices are already pretty reasonable if you ask me.

Coatings, of course, are extra but I can`t seem to sell any because I`m not backed by X company or can provide any `warranty` although I `d be willing to be a lot of these `warranties` are easily null and void and only protect against failure of the actual product, not failure of the owner to maintain it....but that`s a whole different can of worms and not really trying to open that in this thread.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and see no point in charging more when applying a paste wax vs a sealant when it`s pretty much the same effort. I don`t carry any "standard" waxes and I offer as such : A)Spray Wax B ) Sealant which I prep by doing an Eraser Wipedown/hand applying/curing/buffing off C)Coating. My first detail package includes sealant, anything below that I advertise it as a "wash and wax" . My paint polishing services include sealant as well and it`s not charged separately , unless it is an AIO then that just gets the "wax" from the product topped with a spray wax .

Post Thanks / Like

People charge extra because most customers don`t know the difference and only see durability length and assume it must be a much more expensive wax. As a side note, I got into detailing a few years ago after getting my car detailed. The guy said the package included a `standard` wax but for $40 extra I could `upgrade` to Eagle One Nanowax which was a `high end wax that would provide a superior gloss and durability over regular wax.` Fortunately for me I googled the product and politely declined. Since that day U found AG and never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle one OTC wax!!! Lol. Dodged that bullet.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Thread Information