Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s up with black walls?

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    At Mobile Tech this year Jason Rose mentioned the combination of black walls and gray floors was best for defect finding...
    I`d like to hear the reasoning behind what that`d be. No, no...I`m not disputing it, just genuinely curious. Not like it`s hard to spot marring with white walls IME and I spend 99% of my detailing time doing other stuff anyhow. Maybe a Pro who wants a dedicated "swirl-spotting room" would have a different opinion...

Heh heh, not that I`m gonna redo my walls or would want to work in a room with black walls anyhow. The mostly-black bathroom (tile, with checkered-flag type accents on all four walls) isn`t bad, but eh, that`s different from a working shop room.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`d like to hear the reasoning behind what that`d be. No, no...I`m not disputing it, just genuinely curious. Not like it`s hard to spot marring with white walls IME and I spend 99% of my detailing time doing other stuff anyhow. Maybe a Pro who wants a dedicated "swirl-spotting room" would have a different opinion...

Heh heh, not that I`m gonna redo my walls or would want to work in a room with black walls anyhow. The mostly-black bathroom (tile, with checkered-flag type accents on all four walls) isn`t bad, but eh, that`s different from a working shop room.
    I am guessing, like the others said, it has to do with light reflection. A shot of the Rupes detailing studio:

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly looks professional, but I really wonder if it matters that much. You could go with a dark green or dark blue matte Finish wall and would get the same lack of light reflectivity. I`m just playing Devil`s Advocate here. Rupes "look" is black, red, and white and this may be the reason they went with this color combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah..heh heh, I just can`t help but think of stuff like black MFs and be a cynical so-and-so about it. But hey, whatever somebody wants *their* shop to be like...

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned before it was a study/research that some high end car manufacture did (Bentley or Rolls Royce I think) and they found that color combination was best for paint correction and seeing defects. Jason Rose can explain further if you want the whole story, I just remember seeing it on Facebook.

Since I use my garage for more than just paint correction I`m going to leave my walls white and just turn the lights off and use my work lights if I`m chasing down every last defect.
    Likes Angus, ShakingHorizons, mc2hill liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information