Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you price longer lasting/higher end LSPs

I am finally getting around to making a final price sheet so I can get my website up and I want to offer LSP upgrade options.

standard LSP for a non polishing detail would be a 1-3 month option

next level are my sprays that last "up to 6 months" - Rupes P808, Reload, C2V3, PA sprays
    there are also paste waxes I own like Black Ice and Synergy and DoDo Hybrid Nano that can last "up to six months" or so but require more time and effort to apply/remove

then I have my "up to 12 month sealants" - PA Master Sealant, PBL Paint Sealant etc

I`m battling this thought in my head that time is money as a business owner (which I quite often forget I am fundamentally operating a business here) and the sprays, which happen to last longer, take less time to apply- yet they are more expensive as opposed to doing something like a paste wax (Natty`s, DP, BF Midnight Sun) which per application is less expensive (controlling for labor time to apply/let haze/remove)

How do I figure this out?

I`m driving myself crazy here

This is my idea

standard with basic details comes your 1-3 month LSP (paste waxes or even liquid waxes, sealants like Nattys EX and EXP- which are more on the 3-4 month level if you ask me)

standard with any polishing job are my "6 month" sprays - P808 and the like

upgrade potential:
    move from the 1-3 month to ~6month spray : $ X (add 10 and up-based on size?)
    to ~1 year sealants: $ X (add 25 and up?)

move from ~6 month to ~1 year sealants: $ X (add 20 and up)

I`m comfortable with my coating prices

I`m splitting Actual polishing up as separate from my basic details (one with AIO machine and one without) because we all know it takes longer to do a true 1 step than it does to apply an AIO as one step (at least for me it does).

If you`re still following- I`d appreciate some input

I have to get this figured out, and I need some input.

I don`t want to undercut myself right off the bat- I`ve spent too long doing that already.

My goal for 2017 is to stop giving so much stuff away on the paid jobs.

Thanks in advance

-Brandt K.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you price longer lasting/higher end LSPs

Back up and cut down on the number of options. If you want to maximize profits you need to look toward products that are geared towards making money. Most of the labor is in the correction process anyway. Basically what I am trying to say is your menu has too many choices when most customers don`t even know a wax from a coating even after you take the time to explain it to them. Just come up with a wax package, a sealant package, and a coating package. Narrow it down and specialize. I hope I made some sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Back up and cut down on the number of options. If you want to maximize profits you need to look toward products that are geared towards making money. Most of the labor is in the correction process anyway. Basically what I am trying to say is your menu has too many choices when most customers don`t even know a wax from a coating even after you take the time to explain it to them. Just come up with a wax package, a sealant package, and a coating package. Narrow it down and specialize. I hope I made some sense.
    I see what you`re saying

I just wanted to be able to provide an option of 3/6/12 month protection

and then the separate coating options

is that just too confusing to the consumer?

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I do 1-3 month (spray) / 6 month (hand applied sealant/wax) / Coating as options. If you want to stick to your 3/6/12/coating, then just give it a try and settle on which selection of products you`ll be using . If the feedback is not good then you can always change it, it is your operation after all .
    Likes mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you narrow it down to 3/6/12 which products would you choose? That is what confuses me. Some sprays sealants or booster type products can last 12 months, then you have waxes that last 1-3 months (even Fusion doesn`t last that long to me) and then coatings that last 12-36 months.

Charge for the correction more than the LSP.

Package 1. Wash, clay, LSP
    Package 2: Wash, decon, clay, one step (AOI)
    Package 3: Wash, decon, clay, full correction with a)wax, b) sealant and wax, c) coating
    Add on: window coating, headlight protection, wheel protection

You could add a spray sealant over the AOI.

Too many choices confuses you, just think what they do to a potential customer. Most customers just want the cheapest package anyway. I wouldn`t base my price on LSP unless I was an authorized coating installer.
    Likes mikejames, Raymoche, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    If you narrow it down to 3/6/12 which products would you choose? That is what confuses me. Some sprays sealants or booster type products can last 12 months, then you have waxes that last 1-3 months (even Fusion doesn`t last that long to me) and then coatings that last 12-36 months.

Charge for the correction more than the LSP.

Package 1. Wash, clay, LSP
    Package 2: Wash, decon, clay, one step (AOI)
    Package 3: Wash, decon, clay, full correction with a)wax, b) sealant and wax, c) coating
    Add on: window coating, headlight protection, wheel protection

You could add a spray sealant over the AOI.

Too many choices confuses you, just think what they do to a potential customer. Most customers just want the cheapest package anyway. I wouldn`t base my price on LSP unless I was an authorized coating installer.
    Bob, you`re right...all these choices I have confuse me as to what I should be doing on pricing relative to products used and their longevity

I`m still going to offer different levels of protection longevity on any detail short of a coating.

My real dilemma is how much more to charge for the extra protection.

What do you think about adding just one option for "premium" wax or sealant .. and instead of using something like P808 spray I use Master Sealant or PBL Paint Sealant ?

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, as a consumer, the more choices, or the more complex the choices are, I think your going to end up with people either taking the cheapest option, or saying, "What do you think", because they will feel overwhelmed. Few people are going to be educated enough to make a "good" decision without you taking the time to give them the "Reader`s Digest" version of why one product is better than another. These are generally going to be first time customers. Rarely will you have this problem with a repeat customer, I don`t think. Maybe this is where the KISS theory should apply.
    Jay
    Likes rlmccarty2000, mikejames liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am. Not a pro but I would make packages and the offer upgrades to buy up the lsp in a detail, add a spritz on top of a wash, add protection to Lesther,`carpet and glass in a full detail. Add engine to full detail all for a fee.

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me I would use optimum and clay with their spray was right after one. Fast and good.

Post Thanks / Like

Onr

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t want to add noise to your post, because I`m not a pro, but when I do other cars, my "customer" is usually so clueless that they can only muster up their requirements as wanting "shiny". I`ve worked for two days on cars that I swear I could have just used ONR and Adams Buttery Wax and they`d been just as happy. Just like if you were a chef, and made someone lamb chops with a pomegranate and leek reduction demiglaze, and they`d have been just as happy with a pork chop and A1.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most customers are non-Autopians and they want clean and shiny and cheap. If you can figure out how to do that and make a good profit you will be a big winner. Adding extras confuse the customer because he/she doesn`t really have an educated eye when looking at paint. Even Autopian have dificulty defining what shine they prefer. You want, dark, deep, wet, glassy, reflective, etc. I think Mike Lambert does great by sticking with Kamikaze. Maybe you should stick to PA and charge accordingly.
    Likes mikejames, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There has been a lot of good wisdom shared in this thread. Why make things so hard on yourself? Use the KISS(keep it simple stupid) system and make life easy for yourself! Pick a spray wax, sealant, coating for your 3,6,12 and let the customer know you can maintain their vehicle with a wash and booster to keep the vehicle looking freshly waxed,sealed,or coated and looking it`s best. Remember it`s a business, use the latest and greatest on your vehicles and have fun. But for the business use products that work and are easy to work with and that make sense for your business and bottom line...
    Likes Never Enuff, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i take my normal package and add in the additional price of the higher end product plus the additional X amount of time it takes to apply it
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brandt,

Not a pro here by any means but this is what I ended up doing:
    I provide a `up to 6 months` LSPs as part of my standard LSP offering. Its baked into the price of my detail/ correction packages.
    Upgrades for `up to 12 month` LSPs start at $50 and optional addition of a wax topper start at $30 depending on size of vehicle.
    Then coating offerings are seperate of course.

Sometimes a customer may balk at my standard detail pricing and then I usually say I can reduce the price by putting on a less durable LSP i.e. CarPro Hydro2 which would bring the price down `X` amount.

But I agree with the KISS method on keeping it simple on your website at the least. You can always custom tailor your LSP offerings as you speak to your customers and figure out their needs. So if you have a customer with a higher end vehicle for example you may up sell Polish Angel products if it fits their needs and they arent interested in a coating.

Just my $0.02

I am sure you will find out what works best for you and you may go through a couple of different iterations based on customer feedback or your own experiences.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information