Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

how do you quote a fire engine?!

A club member referred me to a local counties EMS department who is looking to have some work done on their fleet. 25 vehicles or so
    ranging from Ford Ranger
    to SUV
    to Ambulance
    and Fire engine

the last two (probably above my head- due to my one man show setup and time constraints)

they will be putting whatever vehicle I`m working on out of commission until completed and I`ll have a bay available there

I have absolutely no idea how to quote the larger rigs, nor to I really want that type of business as it would take me more than a day and cut into the type of jobs that I really want to do

BUT I am going to bid on their regular sized vehicles

The guy said "something like a light polish and wax"

I figure AIO (poorboys PWS) + maybe P808 or possibly something a little cheaper (D156)

I heard from his son (my club friend) that the coordinator is looking in the 3-500 range.... personally for a wash 1 step and spray I`d consider that to only cover up to the SUV

I`m at a loss on quoting this stuff. I only have my list of 2 door, 4 door, suv and large suv prices to go by here (which would put this in the 300-500 range quite easily

Thoughts?

-Brandt K.

Brandt K.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: how do you quote a fire engine?!

Quote $35/hour..
    Dan F
    Likes ShakingHorizons, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Quote $35/hour..
    Dan F
    Dan, what if I had a detail helper so it would be two people... you think 45 or so or what?

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

35 an hour x2. Half the time, the same amount of work, even better craftsmanship due to less fatigue.

Rest assured; you will suffer from fatigue on something that large.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs, RaysWay, tom p. liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    Dan, what if I had a detail helper so it would be two people... you think 45 or so or what?
    Brandt -
    How much are you paying your Helper ? That is the extra amount added to your hourly amount..

And make sure you add enough extra for all the Extra product you are going to use !!

The first Airplane I did - holy cow !!! I used a zillion Lake Country Purple Foam Wool Pads !! Wore them all out...
    The rivets on airplanes kill pads too...

Perhaps a good paint chemical and polishing cleaning and a good glaze that covers followed by a great wax that covers too???

Do they want absolute car-show quality correction on a rig that big ???
    Better have lots of machines AND back up if some of them give it up after a bunch of hard long hours on them...

Another reason why I will never stop using a Rotary..You cant kill it...
    Well, I take that back... My best friend Boat Detailer in Seattle regularly kills all machines but they are grinding down GelCoat every day all year long...

I used to buy all my supplies from a Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint Supply place..

They were always out of Meguiars 105 compound..
    I asked them why they were always out of M105???

They said a company that makes those big Ambulances bought them all out all the time to polish out their big red rigs before they sold them...

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Likes 512detail, Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Brandt -
    How much are you paying your Helper ? That is the extra amount added to your hourly amount..

And make sure you add enough extra for all the Extra product you are going to use !!

The first Airplane I did - holy cow !!! I used a zillion Lake Country Purple Foam Wool Pads !! Wore them all out...
    The rivets on airplanes kill pads too...

Perhaps a good paint chemical and polishing cleaning and a good glaze that covers followed by a great wax that covers too???

Do they want absolute car-show quality correction on a rig that big ???
    Better have lots of machines AND back up if some of them give it up after a bunch of hard long hours on them...

Another reason why I will never stop using a Rotary..You cant kill it...
    Well, I take that back... My best friend Boat Detailer in Seattle regularly kills all machines but they are grinding down GelCoat every day all year long...

I used to buy all my supplies from a Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint Supply place..

They were always out of Meguiars 105 compound..
    I asked them why they were always out of M105???

They said a company that makes those big Ambulances bought them all out all the time to polish out their big red rigs before they sold them...

Good luck !
    Dan F
    Dan, they are only expecting light polish

I already advised of the dangers in polishing vinyl - I advised I could glaze/seal the vinyl but wouldn`t recommend polishing it

I think my prices may be out of their budget for the larger rigs- but I`d still like to get the business for the smaller ones if I can.

My helper- well I haven`t asked him if he wants to help but its a fellow autopian and I plan to text him later today or tomorrow to see if is interested

I`d be ok splitting it 50/50 after we take out some $ for the products used

as far as tools, I have Mark 2 21 , duetto, mini and nano

I think my potential helper has a pc and rotary

Brandt K.
    Likes Mary B, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I would lower my prices for the firefighters out of respect and as a thank you for their work. Not saying I wouldn`t charge(because I couldn`t afford to do that lol)but I would probably cut them a deal. That`s just me though. I`m not trying to make you feel guilty or anything, just saying what I would do
    Likes 512detail, RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My first job out of high school I worked for a company that built fire trucks, and I volunteered with my local department for 13 years, so I`ve been around my share of fire trucks. Alot depends on what kind of trucks they are wanting done. Most department in the are have a ladder, a pumper, a tanker, and a couple of brush trucks. Brush trucks are usually pretty rough due to the job requirements fighting grass/brush fires and will have alot of deep scratches. Pumper trucks have a fairly easy life usually so the paint shouldn`t be too bad unless the department uses foam or a compressed air foam system in which case it will have alot of stains on it due to the caustic nature of the foam. Ladder trucks are pretty much the same as pumpers but almost always have a ton of aluminum so polishing the paint is only half the battle. Tanker trucks only haul water so not much to go wrong with the paint there. I think you would be alot better off quoting an hourly rate than a per vehicle rate. Also keep in mind that fire trucks all are covered in aluminum diamond plate which is very hard on pads. Also it might be wise to ask them if they plan to remove all the ladders and suction hoses etc, that hang on the sides of most trucks or if that will be up to you as they are heavy and awkward for one person to handle.
    Likes 512detail, Mary B, Stokdgs, Civicclutch liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post
    For me, I would lower my prices for the firefighters out of respect and as a thank you for their work. Not saying I wouldn`t charge(because I couldn`t afford to do that lol)but I would probably cut them a deal. That`s just me though. I`m not trying to make you feel guilty or anything, just saying what I would do
    I agree

and I constantly donate excess supplies to the local fire house near my home

but I can only discount so much

Brandt K.
    Likes Stokdgs, Migue, The Driver, ViperGuy21 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, ViperGuy21 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I was closer, I wouldn`t mind helping you out, this is a good sized job and if they are willing to pay up to $500 for each small truck that could be decent profits. Heck if you took straight days off to dedicate time to these without having to worry about your full time job , I`d consider driving up there with my 3401 and PC to help tackle the project.
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

how do you quote a fire engine?!

Too bad there`s no one around here.... I got nothing but time. All my clients only want stuff done every now and then so I only do about one car per week. I wouldn`t mind going all day every day on some big vehicles....

Sent from my iPotato using Tapatalk
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Migue View Post
    ... and if they are willing to pay up to $500 for each small truck that could be decent profits. Heck if you took straight days off to dedicate time to these without having to worry about your full time job , I`d consider driving up there with my 3401 and PC to help tackle the project.
    I was thinking similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I was thinking similar.
    I`m honestly impressed that they are willing to pay that much for them(I hope they mean exterior work only) except the large rigs, I`m not sure about that as I would definitely charge at least $500 for the ambulance. I would be down to tackle something like that...that`s a ton of earned experience,networking and pretty much job security for days / weeks depending on how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like

well I can`t get any days off work until March or I will risk not being able to go to Detail Fest 2017

this would be wed or sundays

Trey (dieselwrench) and I can knock out an ambulance in a day for sure...this will be a long project

BUT I don`t have the business YET, still have to figure out prices etc.

I think 500 for an ambulance is ok....I just have no idea how long it`d take (in my mind I`m thinking two people 8 hours or so but could be terribly wrong for all I know)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

good luck with these jobs
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information