Post Thanks / Like

This thread is for your Horror Stories and Nightmares of what you must deal

with with Budget Customers.` In my opinion, when you charge low prices, then

you get a customer that is going to try and take advantage of you.` Am I wrong

in this stereotype?` According to other Autopian`s testimonies, and my own

personal experiences, I have found that when you charge more, then you are

respected more.`

`

`

Please share with others your nightmares and horror stories.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to start off replies with my most current experience.`` I have been prompted to

start this thread, as I sit and cringe with my "should`ve known better" mindset.

`

Because, I do know better.`

`

I need to expect that the majority of my budget customers will have a budget mindset.

This will lead to price confusion and upset customers a large percentage of the time.

Even knowing to expect this type of customer, I am convinced that I have the optimal

budget technique.` This technique is incredibly valuable to detailers who can use it to

market to car lots, and market their own services randomly through the city.

`

I always offer my full detail services to people first.` 9 times out of 10 they say that they

have a detail guy in the back that does everything.` At a Fiat that I went to, they have ONE

detail guy.` I don`t want to explain how this is for 60 cars, and we are in a very sandy

environment.` It is just not possible for him to keep all of the cars in pristine condition.

I have that method.

`

I offer to Hand Wash and Wax their vehicle (paint only) for 7 dollars.` I add in a tire and

window wipe down for a dollar more a vehicle.` Trucks and SUVs are same price,

I just opt out of doing the roof for the same price.` As I am dealing with vehicles on lots,

I will not have exceptionally dirty vehicles.` Those would be cover by actual detailing

packages or additional charges as they wish.

`

As I can offer such a competitive price, with good service, I expect to have TONS

of work here in a month or two.` This is tax season folks, and every lot that I talk to

expects to be SLAMMED late January and early February.` Now is the time to secure

relationships with the local dealers.` Their detail guys need help.`

`

Even as I walk onto a lot, which is the worst that I`ve ever seen.... I expect them to not

desire my service, as they have some kid in the back washing vehicles.` How can we

explain the need for higher quality service, without insulting the guy who is doing their

work presently?

`

`

This is not the first dealer that I have done work for, it is just the most current one that

has made it an undesirable relationship.` I quoted the guy on the phone and in person

the same thing 7 dollars per car, plus 1 dollar for windows and tires.`

`

They chose to have me do a nice Black Cadillac.` I made that thing beautiful.

The guy that I was talking to was gone, so the boss came out and looked at it.

When I mentioned the price, he immediately said that the other guy said 6 dollars per car.

Basically, both of them said that I said 6 and they made the entire thing upsetting.

The owner didn`t even want to pay me for the car that I did.

`

I really didn`t know what to say, but my feelings were made apparent by a few comments

consisting of things like.` "I am sorry for the confusion, but I can`t tell you anything than

the price where I have to be is 7 dollars a car, adding a dollar to make it 8 including

windows and tires." and "I would challenge you to find any service with comparable

quality for less than 10 dollars".

`

Basically, if they want to undercut my extreme value, I have no need to deal with them

as a customer. I should never speak to them again.

`

`

At least that is how I felt at one point.

`

`

A few minutes later, I realized that why should I turn away from a customer who is

interested, and has seen my quality, just because the customer does not have good

business skills.` I am the business man here.` I deserve the work, and should expect

to deal with idiots every day.` How can I use the idiots to my benefit.` That should be

my mindset.` Why let an idiot get in between me and the money that I deserve.

`

That being said, as soon as I am successful, and am busy enough to turn down customers,

these ungrateful ones will be the first that I drop.` I made that black caddy look gorgeous,

and they didn`t even mention HOW much they liked it, or HOW good it looked.` I could

instantly tell that they were hung up on the price and not about my quality.

`

After some thought, I recontacted the dealership.` I told them that I understood and

apologize for the price confusion.` If you like the quality, perhaps we can find a way to

get it down to 6.` I then sent another message saying that I could give a bulk discount

down to 6 for 20 or more cars, but that 7 is my single car rate, for paint only.

`

`

Did I just swallow my pride and give in too easily here?

Was I just scammed?`

Should I have stuck with the 7 dollar rate and stuck to my guns?

`

I still can say that I have reconsidered the bulk discount, and that my price is 7 for paint only. period.

With how the owner acted, this is the attitude that I want to take.` I just do realize how

childish that would be.` How much would it actually help my business to be firm?

`

I can always just adjust my quality output to coincide with their desired price-point.

`

`

They told me that One Dollar was a big deal over cars over a period of time.

One dollar is also a HUGE deal for me, when I take pride in my work.`

Maybe I should just put less work into my pride, if they put Less Money into my Work.

`

Any Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got the message back.

They have agreed to the 6 + 1 for

20 or more cars.

I should ready myself to deal with customers

more professionally next time, especially when

I feel insulted. There is a work around.

Post Thanks / Like

My questions are how many cars can you do an hour? `How are you waxing these cars? `What is your cost? `

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I`m_ILL

My questions are how many cars can you do an hour? `How are you waxing these cars? `What is your cost? `

`

`

I was thinking the same. `I don`t see any way that this can be worth your time. `Wash (including wheels), dry, wax, windows & tires in roughly 8 minutes to be able to make $40/hr. `Then you still have to deduct your expenses and figure in your time washing towels, restocking, etc. `Working at that pace for hours on end isn`t realistic. `I have to wonder how much quality can be crammed into that 8 minutes. `

Post Thanks / Like
    I will make a video for yall.

No nightmares of your own?

The more budget that I do, the more that I realize that

the vehicles that I want to do are not in the budget price range.

I am realistic though, I know that if I want a business that makes about,

that I have to cater to high volume, using low cost labor and a simple method.

The one change that I might make is from Gary Dean Method,

into two bucket method with a mitt. While this is a significantly

lower quality method, it is much preferred to a dirty shamois.

It also will save time and water from washing MF. While I am able to

limit my use of MF, my workers are less savy. I need to make this

idiot resistant.

I am really curious what headaches that yall have ran into from

budget customers. Please share.

Post Thanks / Like
    Response deleted. Let`s keep the topic on track and refrain from being unnecessarily critical of others. Play nice or don`t play at all.

...The Moderators

Thread Information