Post Thanks / Like

A customer of mine has one of the new Mirage rivetless-panel enclosed trailers for his race cars.` He wanted to get it waxed.` The finish to begin with was definitely "opaque" rather than glossy like traditional base/clear coat.` I initially went at it with D301 on the microfiber finishing pad, but it was turning out incredibly messy.` There were opaque and then shiny parts of the panels finish where the da polisher had just run.` I tried to use a spray wax to help pull up any excess wax to no avail.` Ipa did the same.` I then tried on a foam pad.` Same effect.` I had some RV/Boat polish from MVP in the van so I gave that a shot.` Same effect.` Different combinations of pressure, machine speed, chemical, pad definitelly all made a difference, but nothing was finishing out completely smooth.` Because it wasn`t at my shop I didn`t have my shelf full of pads/polishes to try, so I`m going to go out there again soon and see if I can finish it out correctly with the "blotchiness" on there now.` Does anyone have any experience with what works well on these bare powdercoated panels on these enclosed trailers?

`

Stock image for an example of what the trailer looks like.

`

`

`

I`ll try to grab some pics of it next time I`m out to show exactly the blotchy effect that the wax/polish is creating on the trailer.

`

`

Post Thanks / Like

They`re most likely not powdercoated. Paint is pretty thin and tend to oxidize pretty easy. I would use something with a heavy lubricant and don`t skiimp on the amount (especially if you`re working outside in the sun). D301 doesn`t strike me as fitting the bill? What other polishes do you have/did you try? I would also talk him into Opti-Coating it to prevent it from fading back. Maybe do a spot for him to convince him on the long haul?`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Those should be baked on enamels, not powder coated.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

They`re most likely not powdercoated. Paint is pretty thin and tend to oxidize pretty easy. I would use something with a heavy lubricant and don`t skiimp on the amount (especially if you`re working outside in the sun). D301 doesn`t strike me as fitting the bill? What other polishes do you have/did you try? I would also talk him into Opti-Coating it to prevent it from fading back. Maybe do a spot for him to convince him on the long haul?`

Good luck getting the owner to take proper care of OC on a trailer. haha
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! He was told me they were powder coated so he may be mistaken which makes sense to me.` I`m gonna run out there with some of my Sonax and M100/M205 next time as well as whatever else I have kicking around and we`ll see what works best.` I`d also like to buy some samples of some of the HD Speed and other polishes at SEMA this year if they`re available David.`

`

Or I`ll trade HD samples for tables and company at Spiriment Rhino after the show.` Whichever you prefer

Post Thanks / Like

The frame and hitch materials are probably powdercoated, but as said, the panels are more likely painted.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RenuAuto

` I`d also like to buy some samples of some of the HD Speed and other polishes at SEMA this year if they`re available David.`

`

Or I`ll trade HD samples for tables and company at Spiriment Rhino after the show.` Whichever you prefer

`

`

Unfortunately products will not be for sale @ SEMA. Just on display. But, if Barry catches wind of this I bet he`ll smuggle some HD Speed into the Rhino!! Heck, Ben & Tunch might even follow suite!!` ``

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham

The frame and hitch materials are probably powdercoated, but as said, the panels are more likely painted.

`

Ron .....Does powdercoating tend to fade/blush much?`

Post Thanks / Like

carpro reflect might give you the finish you are after, same with menzerna 106, 85rd as they are very lubricated

Thread Information