Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

I don`t post here often but I read and lurk a lot! I am in the process of filing for a business license and I am trying to think of some catchy names. Anyone mind helping out with some input?

I figured the easiest way was to come up with several and then I can run them through the County data base to make sure they are available and pick the best one available.

Westlake Auto Detailing (My last name but not really catchy or descriptive IMO)

Slick N(And) Shine Auto Detailing

Executive Auto Detailing

Divine Auto Detailing

Redefined Auto Detailing

Mirror Image Auto Detailing

Final Touch Auto Detailing

Perfectly Polished Auto Detailing

Reflections Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think your first one is the best. All the others are a bit cliche. Something about putting your name out there seems to create trust. Ultimately your quality and reputation should bring you more business than the name.

I put a lot of thought into my business name. I feel it truly reflects the work I do but, more importantly, so do my customers. Because of that my business would likely be just as successful if I simply went by my name. My last name is just too common so it would not linger in peoples minds. Even with my business name being unique, about half of my customers know me by my name first and would probably have to look for my business card to remember the business name. Think logo also. When I start talking to people at cruise-ins and they find out I do detailing and ask me for a card there are many times that they say "I`ve seen your card before" or "I`ve heard about you." It`s not the name they remember but the reputation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nth Degree. I agree with you 100%. I guess with the last name people may feel more comfortable as well since I am attaching my name to it. I originally wanted something creative and catchy but after reading your post/info maybe the name will actually go further then I originally thought. Thanks!

Anyone else?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Business Name or DBA (Doing Business As)

Is a Fictitious Business Name that is the legal name, other than the owners name, you decide to give your business.

Do I need to have a DBA?

The answer is probably "yes", and you definitely want to take the time to find out. Most states require that you get a DBA. Sole proprietors and general partnerships operating their businesses under fictitious and or assumed names may need to apply for a DBA certificate in the county where the business is physically located. You will not be able to enforce any contracts you sign under your business name unless the name legally belongs to you. Another important point is, unless you register your DBA, other businesses will not know that you exist and may take the name.

How to Name Your Business

What`s in a business name? Not only must your name reflect your brand and be memorable, there are also a host of legal issues to consider. Business small and large can suffer losses from infringement of intellectual property rights. These rights include Copyright, Trademarks, Patents and more. At STOPfakes.gov | IPR information and assistance you will find more information, articles and training modules to help protect your business

• Research your intended business name to make sure it is not taken. You can search online and in the local county clerk`s office to see if similar names exist. You will want your name to be as unique as possible to avoid confusing potential clients

• Determine if it will be to your benefit to pursue a trademark for your business.

Choosing a business name

Crucially, you need to strike the right chord with potential customers. Your business name must create the desired impression in their minds of what your business does and what it stands for (its values). Using your own name for your business can be effective if building close relationships with clients is important.. It gives the impression of a small and personable approach to business. Giving a sense of place can be effective, too. It suggests local pride and identity and possibly authenticity and quality.

Browse existing business names.

Browse directories of existing company names and brands from specified industry or category. Looking though the lists of carefully selected existing names may spark a creative idea.

Other considerations when naming a business

Ask yourself whether a potential name is easy to say and spell over the phone or online (also whether it can be misheard as something offensive or amusing). Steer clear of long names, strange words and unusual spellings.

Check whether the corresponding domain name is available. Also consider how your name would look in an email address, marketing materials and signage.

TOGWT Autopia Detailing Wiki – “Essentials for Starting a New Business” – http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...-business.html

These Detailing Wiki informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    on the other hand, you cant eventually sell a business with your name/last name in it...well, you can, but not as easily. Even if someone would buy it, they would have to re-brand, which devalues it

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Good point.....decisions decisions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    on the other hand, you cant eventually sell a business with your name/last name in it...well, you can, but not as easily. Even if someone would buy it, they would have to re-brand, which devalues it

Very true. For most though, the detailer IS the business. Definitely something to consider if you plan to grow. The other option is to work under your own name until you are ready to grow. At that point you could probably change the name without it affecting your current customers as long as they know it is still you they are dealing with and it is just a name change. If/when you incorporate would be the time for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reflections detailing sound good, think outside the box a little rather than "joes auto detailing" etc would be my advise.

car detailing adelaide

Thread Information