Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add on Services

Post Thanks / Like
    Lately i`ve been seriously considering adding other services besides details. How many of you guys offer other things like paint touch up or wheel repair? What kits are you guys using/recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Headlight restoration is a big one for me. Faded headlights are dangerous, explain to someone how dangerous it is to drive with their headlights producing 60% or less output and they will spend the $ to have it fixed. I don`t use a kit, the kits are not cost effective. Just a variety of wet/dry sandpaper is about the only extra thing you would need to purchase if you already have compound and a polisher. Offer to Opti-coat the headlights to help prevent future fading for additional $ or throw it in for no charge like I do.
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I actually forgot to mention that I do headlights already. I just dont push it as much as I should because theres still room for improvement and most people ive dealt with dont want to pay much. I will take your advice on getting a varriety of sandpaper though, which grade do you suggest I pick up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jose206
    Thanks I actually forgot to mention that I do headlights already. I just dont push it as much as I should because theres still room for improvement and most people ive dealt with dont want to pay much. I will take your advice on getting a varriety of sandpaper though, which grade do you suggest I pick up?

Well depending on how bad the lenses are will decide what grit to start with, but I always keep every grit from 600 up to 2000 on hand. Rarely do I need to go lower than 800 or 1000 grit to start, but sometimes you will need to start as low as 600, maybe even lower if they are really bad. I always work up to 2000 grit no matter what grit I start with. I only charge $50 per pair, opti-coat included and a pair will take me anywhere from 20 minutes up to about 45 minutes unless they are badly trashed. I have not had one person push back on that price, they gladly pay for the safety and not to mention it looks 100x better. I know I could charge more but feel that`s a fair price for the time and effort involved.

(EDIT: also for doing headlights, you can get away with a lesser expensive brand of sandpaper. The cheaper brands don`t do well on paint IMO (Autopian standards anyway), but they will do just fine on the plastic lenses.)
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitDetails
    Well depending on how bad the lenses are will decide what grit to start with, but I always keep every grit from 600 up to 2000 on hand. Rarely do I need to go lower than 800 or 1000 grit to start, but sometimes you will need to start as low as 600, maybe even lower if they are really bad. I always work up to 2000 grit no matter what grit I start with. I only charge $50 per pair, opti-coat included and a pair will take me anywhere from 20 minutes up to about 45 minutes unless they are badly trashed. I have not had one person push back on that price, they gladly pay for the safety and not to mention it looks 100x better. I know I could charge more but feel that`s a fair price for the time and effort involved.

(EDIT: also for doing headlights, you can get away with a lesser expensive brand of sandpaper. The cheaper brands don`t do well on paint IMO (Autopian standards anyway), but they will do just fine on the plastic lenses.)

Gotta add my .02

It takes me, an old guy, 20 minutes to mask off the lights. Actually, I started using duct tape `cause it`s better at resisting the accidental `oops, I just sanded the fender/bumper`. Could be longer if it`s a BMW X5 - huge wrap around lights. And what with the splatter of the wet sanding, maybe another 10 minutes clean-up. And what with moving up the grit scale - I do use a small pneumatic sander - wiping down after every change, 105/205/IPA then opti-coat, I`m at like 2 hours minimum.

I just raised my prices to $95 per pair.
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO detailing is the least profitable aspect of car care. All the guys I use to do things like dent removal/interior repair, etc bill out at least $90 an hour. Add-on services can be very profitable but the problem is a lot of the add-ons that people are willing to pay for take a lot of time and practice to get good at. The dent guy I used trained a guy for a year (5 days a week) before he let him go out on his own.

Some add-on services that are easier to get into but not as profitable would be odor removal, upholstery repair, windshield chip repair, paint chip touch up, etc.
    Abbotsford Auto Detailing in Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks explicit, ill go pick some of those sheets up to carry with me. Clean up and taping does take up some time. Im actually looking to order the touch up kit from robert at applied colors, anyone have any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at the website`s video training video`s on ValuGard.net for the ETR kit trim restoring.

This is the kit of products used by many vehicle manufacturers that have "trim discoloring of black exterior trim.(on the site there are a couple of Technical Service Bulletins directed to their dealerships for it`s use-they tested and approved this system vs some infomercial stuff)

When done correctly, the system will last longer than the original parts do.

There is "BIG" money in this one, with very little labor to do so.

One kit will do many vehicles, so it is very cost effective.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how opticoat does on headlights? I never realized opticoat had UV inhibitorss in it???.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Theal
    I wonder how opticoat does on headlights? I never realized opticoat had UV inhibitorss in it???.

From their site:

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is the most advanced polymer system that adds a permanent layer of clear coat over the automotive finishes.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 provides better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, better chemical etch resistance, and has better release properties than factory clears. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 therefore keeps your car clean longer and continues to bead water and sheds dirt for years.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 can be used to protect the following surfaces:

• Painted Surfaces

• headlights

• wheels

• plastic trim

• bumpers

• aluminum & chrome surfaces
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Up-selling

Besides having a variety of different products and services to offer a client, you need to be able to ask key questions and recognize positive and negative body language indicators and how to counteract them. Here are a few suggestions that will enable you to increase your average sales transactions. Help your client see these as a service as opposed to an add on sale by emphasising their value

Do your team understand that the best way to sell is to ask questions?

Typical additional services charge as follows:

• Single-Step Paint Correction $250 - $300

• Full Paint renovation $450 - $650

• Engine detail, $85 - $125

• Pant decontamination $ 200 (IronX )

• Windshield polishing $50-$75

• Permanent Coating $250 - $350

• Paint chip repair $50 minor - $200 major

• Paint protection coating (Opti-Coat™, Aquartz, etc) $250

• Headlight restoration (Polishing and UV-B radiation protection)$175- $200

• Paint overspray or cement splatter removal, $250

• Black trim restoration, $50 - $150

• AC system cleaning and cabin air filter replacement (1z Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner) $100-$125

• Odour Neutralizer / Deodorizing (Aquartz - So2Pure (CleanAir) $65

• Fabric / carpet protection (Scotchgard) $50

• Leather and Vinyl Repair

• Windshield Polishing Restoration, $50 - $100 (TOTL Chip Repair Kit)

• Auto Glass Treatment, $50 - $75 ( Aquapel, )

• Wheel surface (cosmetic damage) repair / repaint, $125 per wheel

More specialized services

• Paintless dent repair (PDR) $55 - $125 per dent

• Paint Protection Film (PPF)$ dependent on size of vehicle and coverage required

• Carpet Dyeing and Colour Restoration, $200 - $350

• Leather Renovation (Pigmentation)

• Windshield Replacement

• Odour, germ and allergen free driving with a 6-month re-application (DrivePur)

These added-value services will enhance your reputation if you’re able to fix these types of aesthetic problems and become the source for high quality work. As with the successful sale of any product, educating the customer is the key.

The above (USD) figures are only estimated costs and should be used for guidance only as they will vary by location and size and condition of vehicle

“Becoming a Professional Detailer” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...-detailer.html
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    Up-selling

Besides having a variety of different products and services to offer a client, you need to be able to ask key questions and recognize positive and negative body language indicators and how to counteract them. Here are a few suggestions that will enable you to increase your average sales transactions. Help your client see these as a service as opposed to an add on sale by emphasising their value

Do your team understand that the best way to sell is to ask questions?

Typical additional services charge as follows:

• Single-Step Paint Correction $250 - $300

• Full Paint renovation $450 - $650

• Engine detail, $85 - $125

• Pant decontamination $ 200 (IronX )

• Windshield polishing $50-$75

• Permanent Coating $250 - $350

• Paint chip repair $50 minor - $200 major

• Paint protection coating (Opti-Coat™, Aquartz, etc) $250

• Headlight restoration (Polishing and UV-B radiation protection)$175- $200

• Paint overspray or cement splatter removal, $250

• Black trim restoration, $50 - $150

• AC system cleaning and cabin air filter replacement (1z Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner) $100-$125

• Odour Neutralizer / Deodorizing (Aquartz - So2Pure (CleanAir) $65

• Fabric / carpet protection (Scotchgard) $50

• Leather and Vinyl Repair

• Windshield Polishing Restoration, $50 - $100 (TOTL Chip Repair Kit)

• Auto Glass Treatment, $50 - $75 ( Aquapel, )

• Wheel surface (cosmetic damage) repair / repaint, $125 per wheel

More specialized services

• Paintless dent repair (PDR) $55 - $125 per dent

• Paint Protection Film (PPF)$ dependent on size of vehicle and coverage required

• Carpet Dyeing and Colour Restoration, $200 - $350

• Leather Renovation (Pigmentation)

• Windshield Replacement

• Odour, germ and allergen free driving with a 6-month re-application (DrivePur)

These added-value services will enhance your reputation if you’re able to fix these types of aesthetic problems and become the source for high quality work. As with the successful sale of any product, educating the customer is the key.

The above (USD) figures are only estimated costs and should be used for guidance only as they will vary by location and size and condition of vehicle

Thanks Jon.

I`m going to raise my prices
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Take a look at the website`s video training video`s on ValuGard.net for the ETR kit trim restoring.

This is the kit of products used by many vehicle manufacturers that have "trim discoloring of black exterior trim.(on the site there are a couple of Technical Service Bulletins directed to their dealerships for it`s use-they tested and approved this system vs some infomercial stuff)

When done correctly, the system will last longer than the original parts do.

There is "BIG" money in this one, with very little labor to do so.

One kit will do many vehicles, so it is very cost effective.

Grumpy

I`ve been sitting on the fence on this one. But after struggling with an FJ cruiser, seems like a must have.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Im starting to look at offering glass nano coatings in the future as an extra..

Car Detailing Adelaide

Post Thanks / Like
    in addition to all the other services recommend there are some great add on services without spending too much money to buy systems and they include: :

spot and stain removal - you can add this to your detailing services or as a stand alone service

Scratch, scuff removal - you can add this to your detailing service or as a stand alone service

Cleaning cowling around windshield - depending where you live the cowling can be impacted with leaves and needs to cleaned out

Sun-roof weep hole cleaning and testing

Under-carriage washing

Trunk Cleaning

Door Jamb Cleaning

You might want to stop packaging everything

More a la carte services - instead of detailing the interior of a vehicle the customer might only want one area for example a seat cleaned, floor mats only .. There is usually some reason behind this - so you can charge a premium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information