Post Thanks / Like
    ok going to get the business going again and i plan on getting either a steamer or a extractor next week, and then get the other in December. so here is the debate. which do i get 1st? u guys decide
    Setting The Standard Higher

Post Thanks / Like
    I have both, don`t even bother hauling the big/heavy extractor with me anymore. However, I`m mobile, so maybe things would be different if I was stationary. The steamer can be used on more things then an extractor can. Also depends what your budget is....unless you`re looking at the high-end steamers that can get more expensive than extractors.

-Kody-
    New Image Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has their opinion, however it is more up to what are you going to do, be mobile or fixed shop?

What type of customers did you have in the past, and what are the "volume" business opportunities in Ashboro?

My opinion is that if you are doing the average "I want my car detailed, I got $150 for my once a year detail". go with an extractor, as at the normal volume prices, time is everything and "perfect" is not the concern.

Like the mini-van owner, the guy with the 5 year old Chevy that might get a wave a wand wash every couple of weeks, they don`t pay big bucks and don`t expect absolute perfect, they want it shiney and cleaner than when they brought it in.

I agree that an extractor can be a real pain in the butt for a mobile operator, without a van and a generator, large water supply.

A steamer does most cleaning, however more for the "special" cars and their owners. However, a steamer takes a bit longer, and is not always the best method for those mini-van`s, etc.

Having both is the perfect world, if one has the capital to start with both.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I would vote extractor, but I am mobile with a 6x12 enclosed trailer and plenty of room for heavy equipment. Carpet extraction is a big selling point for me.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    PhatHoodDetail- Buy whichever one you find yourself wishing you had.

I don`t see steamers and extractors as an either/or choice, more like a "wrench vs. pliers"; different tools for different tasks, even though they can sometimes substitute for each other in a pinch.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on what type of work you will get till December. If most of the work done through steamer go for it now and if not go for extractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what was mentioned above, but I vote an extractor. I have a mytee, and to supplement that, I purchased the vac accessory for it, and couldn`t be happier with the extractor (does what I want it to do) with the crevice tool, etc. and the vac attachment is amazingly powerful.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it depends on what kind of detailing you`re catering to really. If you`re doing more high end work on exotic/luxury vehicles, then I think a steamer can fit this environment better. An extractor really doesn`t have a place in these settings as interior carpet is pretty darn clean or can easily be cleaned with conventional measures.

An extractor is great when you are doing alot of interiors and larger vehicles.

Personally, you don`t need either to do a great job, but they are neat(and expensive) tools to have in your arsenal.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I guess it depends on what kind of detailing you`re catering to really. If you`re doing more high end work on exotic/luxury vehicles, then I think a steamer can fit this environment better. An extractor really doesn`t have a place in these settings as interior carpet is pretty darn clean or can easily be cleaned with conventional measures.

An extractor is great when you are doing alot of interiors and larger vehicles.

Personally, you don`t need either to do a great job, but they are neat(and expensive) tools to have in your arsenal.

A good extractor is an essential tool when detailing dirty interiors especially minivans, suburbans/tahoes... (deep stains, spills, body fluids, odors) it is the difference between excellent vs acceptable result

Post Thanks / Like
    You need alot more then just an extractor to achieve those results. They are certainly a useful tool and helpful though.....
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thoroughly unimpressed with my vx5000 steamer. Worst $800 I ever spent. What a waste. My $99 Wagner from Lowes does a comparable job. So, to answer your question,.....get the Aztec Hot Rod. It`s what I use and it really does get the ground in dirt.

Thread Information