Post Thanks / Like
    My best client has several cars that he keeps covered all the time when not in use. He stores them in an underground parking facility (think parking garage) that is slightly dusty but doesn`t see a lot of traffic in and out. His standard procedure seems to be roll off cover and set on ground, drive car, bring car back and throw cover back on. As you can imagine I deal with a lot of RIDS and I`m wondering how to best approach the topic without sounding like an elitist douchebag detailer. I want to give him good, honest information that can help protect his investments without sounding like I am talking down to him or his habbits. I suppose it is none of my business how he cares for his cars but I feel like as the professional detailer I should at least try to make him aware of these issues.

Does anyone have any good links to articles or videos or any other source that I could send him that illustrates the damage being done by his covers? Also does anyone have suggestions for what he can do instead of a cover. My guess is that he uses them so that the car isn`t dusty when he goes to drive it. I am thinking that a California car duster would do far less damage at this point.

Any help would be awesome,

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    opticoat all of them!!!!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Placing Cover on Vehicle

Do not place a car cover on a dusty or dirty car (dry surface with a waffle weave towel or remove dust with a car duster) Ensure that the cover fits well and keep the cover clean (dust / dirt between the inside of the cover or the vehicle surface will cause scratching) Purchase a good quality cover that is manufactured from a durable fabric suitable for your local climatic conditions and expected usage.

To place car cover on vehicle; start by placing the rolled-up cover on the centre of the roof (do not drag cover across vehicle surface as it may cause scratching) unroll from the middle to the rear of vehicle and then middle to front, unroll left side and then right using mirror `pockets` (if fitted) Ensure that cover is `tight` and attach cable and lock (if required) Remove from vehicle opposite to the above and store dry cover in storage bag (if supplied)

Ensure that cover is `tight` and attach cable and lock (if required) Remove from vehicle opposite to the above and store dry cover in storage bag (if supplied)

In strong wind conditions when removing the car cover use the side mirrors as `anchors’. Remove the front and back portions and then roll towards the top. Then, remove the mirror pocket from one side mirror, then the other. Use a similar method when covering the car, by first attaching the mirror pockets to the side mirrors.

Removing Cover

Pull the front edge up to about halfway along the length of the car, and then do the same with the back edge so that it meets the front edge, you`ve just got outside to outside contact. You can then fold the cover in half and only have inside to inside contact, and continue folding this way until it`s manageable and can be stuffed into a carry bag. Of course, you then need to be very careful when placing it back on the car so that you perform the above operation in reverse order.It should go without saying that the cover should never come into contact with the ground.

An extract form an article entitled: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-cov...on-covers.html
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information