Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quenga
    J Young - Although some of the advice seems to go against your beliefs I would suggest you take into consideration their experience. I know because I started out like you and learned real quick. Most people don`t care what you say to them. I`ve tried explaining stuff and most cut me off and say, "yeah, sounds great...so how much?". Even people that want high-end detailing normally don`t care. What matters is that you look like you know what you`re doing, you sound interested in it and most importantly, you do a good job.

Only a suggestion and coming from experience. I wanted to start out detailing a certain way, but I adapt pretty quickly to what I see in the environment. In general, customers are not interested in the process, they are interested in the price and end result. Especially us Americans, we don`t want the journey, we want the vacation.

And with what RustyTruck said, he should be reminded that most detailers start out this way. Enthusiasts can`t help but to be enthused. However, the quicker you train your mind to a businessman rather than a detailer, the quicker you`ll make money.

Heck, I`m still a new and still learning, but I draw from others experience instead of waiting for it to happen to me. I thought my website was simple, I posted it up and found out how not simple it was, lol. That`s the power of forum members. If they are all saying it......it might just be true.

Good luck!!

Quenga, thanks bro!! You`re right, however my visions and my business acumen of salesmanship and attention to detail is what I want to market. When I worked at a shop that was all about the money and had me lying to the customer saying I wheeled a trailer when instead I just de-greased it, that begets no money and an unsatisfied customer. When someone doesn`t know about clay and you do it anyways because its to your interest to wax a clean car instead of waxing through dirt its a win/win.

When I do an overnight service I like to have my secondary laptop in my garage when the customer comes to pick it up and before money is brought out I show the before and afters to them and build value. The instant gratification is accomplished and not only do I accomplish having a customer wanting to pay and be off on the road they also tip anywhere from $10-$40 based on how big their heart is and how well I presented. I know people wanna go on vacation and not here about the journey but I tell it to them anyway because I`m a story teller and salesman. My audience listens, agrees, and feels value from my services which by default makes them tell their friends and family. Feelings that feel good create positive outcomes regardless. Give a positive feeling and stay in that frequency to magnetize more business, that`s what I`m doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J Young
    Quenga, thanks bro!! You`re right, however my visions and my business acumen of salesmanship and attention to detail is what I want to market.

The only vision you need is the vision of profit. As a detail business and business owner, you are automatically a salesman and they are already paying you for attention to detail. Those you don`t have to market at all. It`s like a grocery store that sets out to market that they sell food. Yes, we know that, that`s why we go to a grocery store.

The only thing I market to customers is my integrity. It helps that I`m a former Marine, so I play off that. You need to market why you are different, not why you are a detailer. Selling the idea that you are honest and pay attention actually has a negative effect. People in general are cynical. I stopped trying to fluff my customer.

When I worked at a shop that was all about the money and had me lying to the customer saying I wheeled a trailer when instead I just de-greased it, that begets no money and an unsatisfied customer. When someone doesn`t know about clay and you do it anyways because its to your interest to wax a clean car instead of waxing through dirt its a win/win.

It`s definitely not a win/win if you don`t charge them for it. You should study the meaning of value and demand. Value is what people believe will benefit them. Although I can afford a new car, I don`t see the benefit of paying for one. On the other hand, I know people who make less money and only buy new cars because they feel it`s worth it. You are selling new cars at used prices. What you have to realize is that there are those that will pay the price of a new car and those that will only pay the price of a used one. By selling a new car at a used car price you are only hurting yourself.

Demand isn`t what people want, it`s what they can afford and what they can afford is what they "value". I would like a new car, but I`m not a part of new car demand because I`m not willing to pay for it. I know I`m not getting a new car when I buy a used one, so when it turns out to be just a used car, I`m still 100% happy. That`s a tough concept to realize for new business owners. You want to give people their monies worth, but instead you are underestimating what they already believe their money is worth. Some people shop at Nordstroms simply because they believe they are getting more for their money. Actually giving people more than what they are asking for is detrimental to business success.

Unless they ask a question, I don`t give them answers. I don`t get paid to talk or explain my services. I only ask 3 questions now: 1. What are you looking to spend? 2. How long is the car available? 3. What are you looking for? Not necessarily in that order either. I then tell them what I can do within their budget and time frame, and then suggest services they don`t know they want. But, I only briefly explain what it is. If someone really wants to know something, they`ll ask.

When I do an overnight service I like to have my secondary laptop in my garage when the customer comes to pick it up and before money is brought out I show the before and afters to them and build value. The instant gratification is accomplished and not only do I accomplish having a customer wanting to pay and be off on the road they also tip anywhere from $10-$40 based on how big their heart is and how well I presented. I know people wanna go on vacation and not here about the journey but I tell it to them anyway because I`m a story teller and salesman. My audience listens, agrees, and feels value from my services which by default makes them tell their friends and family. Feelings that feel good create positive outcomes regardless. Give a positive feeling and stay in that frequency to magnetize more business, that`s what I`m doing.

I bet that if you showed them the pictures afterwards, you`d still get the same amount of money and tip. It`s also not the best way to market. I ask for their e-mail address so I can send them photos I took throughout the process. I now have their e-mail for future marketing and they now have an e-mail from me to show to their friends, family and co-workers. Also, it reminds them of me when they are home or at work, which increases the chances they`ll show someone. When you show them the photos up front, by the time they get home they forgot about it. If you then e-mail them the photos, they`re not as interested as they`ve already seen it.

I`ve received $20-$40 tips from people that didn`t even see their car after I was done. My last customer came out, paid me, closed the garage door and left. She didn`t even look at the car and she still tipped me $30. People are going to tip what they want to tip regardless. And a tip isn`t worth as much as a referral....

Just keep it in mind and I suggest you study business. I would also look into reading about the 80/20 principle and really try to apply it to your model. 80% of your business comes from 20% of your available services. Although I am capable of high end paint correction, most just want a wash and wax. Right now you`re offering 80% of your services to people that will only pay you 20% of what it`s worth.

Lastly. Storytellers and song writers don`t make money. Directors and actors do. You are the director and the car is your actor. Showcase the car and they will pay to see your show. Britney Spears can`t sing, but she gets paid millions to do so and people don`t care.

Your #1 goal in business should always be to make money. Your salesmanship and attention to detail is your foundation. No one cares how a house is built, they just want stainless steel appliances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Law of averages. Why do I need an hourly rate when I can rely on the law of averages and commit to volume.

Law of averages from Wikipedia

"The law of averages is a lay term used to express a belief that outcomes of a random event will "even out" within a small sample.

As invoked in everyday life, the "law" usually reflects bad statistics or wishful thinking rather than any mathematical principle."

Do you want to be busy or profitable? Both, you say? Great. How do you know what profitable is without knowing how much you need to make? Gotta know your margins. Being busy on low margins leads to poor quality and burn out on your part. Whereas being busy on good margins makes for a thriving business that is sustainable over the long term.

I disagree with the other posters because the more questions = more curiosity and an opportunity to instill confidence in your services

Confusion will also turn off all of the people who are on the fence. Make it easy on the average person to figure out and your sales will go up.

I aim to omit prospects who are unappreciative of my services, time and effort.

How do you do that? Do you look for some kind of reaction out of them when they pick up the cars? If they don`t flip out do you not take their call the next time around? The only way to tell that a customer appreciates your time and effort is if they come back and/or refer you. My .02...love them (the customers) all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quenga, I`ll check that 80/20. I`m short on time today so I`ll respond correctly when I have some extra hours this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Short on time. Thank you Michael for your feedback and wisdom, I`ll respond later with appropriate time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information