Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone help identifying what this could be? It smells really bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would bet food, some kind of dairy, ice cream maybe. That will smell something fierce, especially when steamed. Bottom pic almost looks like some kind of mold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to say from the photo`s.

That said and since it "appears" that something "ate" the carpet fibers of the mat, not sure what the other photo is of what part, the carpet or the mat?

Looks like some acids came into play, I would "guess", vomit.

Stomach acids are pretty active and if you are getting that much odor, that would be my best guess.

Throw the mats away, soak the carpet with a good all purpose, agitate with stiff bristle brush, "EXTRACT, EXTRACT, EXTRACT" and then treat the carpet with Odor Terminator, getting it fairly wet with it, so it goes down into the fibers and such. That will eleminate the odor.

If the carpet is discolored, then it is acid at play. Can perhaps dye the area to a close match.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the floor (driver`s) So the owner has 2 issues. The mats all of them and the floor under the driver`s seat

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Hard to say from the photo`s.

That said and since it "appears" that something "ate" the carpet fibers of the mat, not sure what the other photo is of what part, the carpet or the mat?

Looks like some acids came into play, I would "guess", vomit.

Stomach acids are pretty active and if you are getting that much odor, that would be my best guess.

Throw the mats away, soak the carpet with a good all purpose, agitate with stiff bristle brush, "EXTRACT, EXTRACT, EXTRACT" and then treat the carpet with Odor Terminator, getting it fairly wet with it, so it goes down into the fibers and such. That will eleminate the odor.

If the carpet is discolored, then it is acid at play. Can perhaps dye the area to a close match.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Are those spots in the first pic missing fibers or just matted down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Missing fibers

Post Thanks / Like
    2nd photo looks like it`s been bleached. Might have to be dyed. Beyond that I agree with others... likely milk based or vomit or both. Since it is on the mats I would probably pre-soak well with APC and hit with pressure washer, then APC again and scrub with brush and follow with Pressure washer again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany
    Missing fibers

Assumed it was just matted down. Make sure you have a Haz-Mat suit. Pressure washer might be too much if the fibers are coming out. Might be time to get new mats and explain the importance of dealing with spills right away and not leaving them for months/years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree
    Assumed it was just matted down. Make sure you have a Haz-Mat suit. Pressure washer might be too much if the fibers are coming out. Might be time to get new mats and explain the importance of dealing with spills right away and not leaving them for months/years.

Looks like something corrosive like battery acid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could well be that, however, since as usual, not enough real information, hard to say.

So I would assume that it would be very rare for someone to have a battery being carried in that part of the vehicle, it is another sort of acid. Stomach acids are as strong as battery acids, especially if allowed to dwell for a time on the substrate.

Who really knows?

The original post does not provide sufficent information to allow either of us to make an educated guess from afar.

Grumpy

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive done a few van interiors were the carpets have disintegrated like that...usually it was caused by mold. Wear a mask!
    Abbotsford Auto Detailing in Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    That could very well be the reason, however, how bad of a nose does the owner have?

Mold requires at least two things, humidity and a food source, and not what most consider a food source.

You may right, but with the lack of information provided, who really knows?

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JPostal
    Ive done a few van interiors were the carpets have disintegrated like that...usually it was caused by mold. Wear a mask!

X2

Not sure what the source is though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Find out if the Heater core has been replaced or possible the drain tube for the evaporator is clogged. This could be causing a moisture issue inside the car. Just a thought.

Thread Information