Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Durrmaid Super 1600 extractor. It is out of warranty. I just tried using it yesterday, for the first time a few months and something is very, very wrong!

The water heats, but when I turn on the suction/pump I just hear grinding and it smells like the motor is burning. The "idle" speed is all over the place. It sounds like a gas engine with the choke on. No pressure is built in the hot water line at all. I could only run it for about 15-30 seconds before it felt like it was drawing a large amount of amps and I shut it down....then I felt the power cord and I think I was right....it was very hot.

Anyone know what might be the issue? Is the pump motor dead? Can that effect the vac motor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mini1
    I have a Durrmaid Super 1600 extractor. It is out of warranty. I just tried using it yesterday, for the first time a few months and something is very, very wrong!

The water heats, but when I turn on the suction/pump I just hear grinding and it smells like the motor is burning. The "idle" speed is all over the place. It sounds like a gas engine with the choke on. No pressure is built in the hot water line at all. I could only run it for about 15-30 seconds before it felt like it was drawing a large amount of amps and I shut it down....then I felt the power cord and I think I was right....it was very hot.

Anyone know what might be the issue? Is the pump motor dead? Can that effect the vac motor?

I don`t wish you any bad luck or know where to tell you to look to have it repaired but if you end up replacing it with another extractor . I`m in the market for a wand/valve/handle for my Durrmaid unit. Good luck and here`s hopeing its something simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Durrmaid die on me as well a few years ago. Pump went out. Good luck getting it fixed. Customer service from Durrmaid is non-existent. My advice would be to not waste your money on trying to buy new parts. Go buy an Aztec Hot Rod extractor, which is identical but has superior quality. From what I learned when my Durrmaid died, Aztec was the original design. Durrmaid copied it but used cheap parts and that`s why they are junk. I learned my lesson the hard way. Good luck with your next extractor.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to fix what I have. I`m no longer doing detailing full time and I don`t have a budget for a new unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only connection besides the company itself that I know of is Rick at ADS. Good luck with the repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody has ever had this happen to them before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of warranty, take it apart and find the problem. Replaced my pump, not Durrmaid, last year. No big deal. Ebay is a start for parts

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sound like the pump. I`m not real sure but I think you should be able to swap the pump out with another make/model pump as long as it fits in the area you hare working with. Call a janitorial supply place or take a look on-line...this place might have a replacemet for you.

Portable Extractor Pumps, Vacs, Hoses, Valves, Quick Disconnects, Jets, Parts,Vac Hose
    Abbotsford Auto Detailing in Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I own a Durrmaid and I`ve had a pump fail on me too. The pumps that Dennis uses (the owner and the guy that actually hand-builds these units) are actually designed for high-end espresso machines. They work great, but they can fail if someone lets them run without relieving the pressure build-up (depressing the trigger).

Anyways, ignore what everyone says here and get in touch with Dennis directly. My supplier was not much help when mine failed, but once I got in touch with Dennis, he had a new pump in the mail the very next day. As a budget extractor, the Durrmaid is fine, but I personally can`t rely on it solely for my shop.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Thread Information