Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All. I am hoping for your honest input. I am between jobs and while looking I am considering starting a basic mobile detailing operation, something I have always been interested in. I have no professional experience but have done quite a few vehicles on a personal level.

The idea is to start small and offer a few basic services:

Interior:

Vacuum

Extraction

Leather Cleaning/Conditioning

Vinyl Cleaning/Conditioning

Exterior:

Hand Wash

Bug/Road Debris Removal

Hand Polish

Hand Wax

Tire and wheel Cleaning/Conditioning

As optional services I have also considered:

Headlight Restoration

Clay Bar

Unfortunately I dont have a truck or trailer, but could fit the equipment in my car, as long as the client has a power and water source. I also thought the "hand" wash, wax, and polish, might sound more gentle and therefore have an appeal to a certin demographic, however I would certainly consider getting a DA random orbit polisher. Does this sound like a viable plan, or would it be preferable to simply get a job as a detailer first. Also what types of insurance do most of you usually carry? Thanks and Im open to all options and input.

Post Thanks / Like
    If its something you love doing, then why not. Getting a DA will certainly make your work go MUCH faster but you might want to learn on your own cars. The DA is cheap, the pads and polishes will add up quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I think I would enjoy it. Im a medical chemist currently and EVERYTHING is critical, wears on you after a while. Thanks Dan I think I will go for the DA polisher. The Porter Cable 7424xp seems like a nice safe unit. FOr the mobile guys though... Most polishes and waxes ive seen say to not apply in direct sunlight, although ive never seen a mobile erect a sunshade either. How do you guys deal with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s exactly the way I got started. Look into using ONR for your washes and you won`t need a water source at the customer`s location, just a couple 5 gallon buckets half full of water. I`m on my second 7424xp, but when this one dies I`m going to get a Griot`s DA as they are just overall better units.

I used a 10x10 canopy when I was mobile or worked in the customer`s garage so I can`t comment about working in the sun, but I know there`s some good products to help with this. I`m sure some others will let you know what they are.

I would pretty much advise against getting a job as a detailer fist, mostly so you don`t learn the bad habits we see all too often. Unless you found a good shop that would teach you the right way to do things. Def stay away from working as a dealer detailer if you want to learn to do things right.

I would highly recommend State Farm for your insurance. They will be able to set you up with the correct policies and at a good price.
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d go for the griots machine. There are plenty of products that do work in the sun, poorboys is an example (though there are better polishes).

Thread Information