Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I do details at office, often people come out and ask about what we do (and sometimes at houses too). Usually what we have set up will take most of the day (but not always) so to accommodate the walk-up customers I have wash and wash and wax options since those don`t take too long and we can usually squeeze in one or two. I charge twice the wash price for the wash and wax (Opti-Seal) which works out well since it takes 10 minutes tops to apply it even to large SUVs. I do explain to the customer that while the wax will protect their car, it won`t remove swirls and defects. But it is a way to nudge someone who doesn`t know anything about Autopia level detailing to be willing to pay to go that route at some point. Even just our basic washes blow people away who are used to tunnel and dealership car washes. It has turned out to be a nice income addition for a couple extra hours of work.

Anyone else do this?
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you could get additional work from it, but what if you start getting only wash and wax jobs from it, and none of them care enough to get paint correction? Just a concern I have. I have done a quick wash and wax on a neighbor of a car I was doing and they contacted me again for the same price and I had to decline as it was a hike to get there and wasn`t worth my time to make the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    I charge twice the wash price for the wash and wax (Opti-Seal) which works out well since it takes 10 minutes tops to apply it even to large SUVs.

Anyone else do this?

Money maker even if you just do it that time. If they return you`re still getting twice your normal price. Works for me!
    Triple Honda Owner

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know I do.

This type of work is my bread and butter. You and I both know most people just want a clean, shiny, protected vehicle. Clean being the main thing.......along with wet, shiny tires!

I`ve talked my way out of details before telling them about swirls and blah blah blah. I could have just taken their 150.00 per month and just shut up.

Then on the other hand, these wash and waxes have opened the door for me for additional business. See, you don`t want to be the only one getting their car cleaned. It`s like a fever and I end up with several new monthly customers.

Great post Scott!

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Highrev1
    Sure you could get additional work from it, but what if you start getting only wash and wax jobs from it, and none of them care enough to get paint correction? Just a concern I have. I have done a quick wash and wax on a neighbor of a car I was doing and they contacted me again for the same price and I had to decline as it was a hike to get there and wasn`t worth my time to make the trip.
    You don`t need to make it a problem with you. Just do what the want and what they will pay for. If it`s out of your way, then don`t go.

You have to look at it for the long run though. Would you rather have one correction customer that you might see every year and tell just a few about your OR 20 monthly customers where each tell 3 people about you?

I have to look at it like the second because this is not a hobby for me, it`s how I pay my bills.

Post Thanks / Like
    I typically tell walk ups "i`m by appointment only" then take their contact info, hand them a card and tell them to review the website`s service options.

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tssdetailing
    I typically tell walk ups "i`m by appointment only" then take their contact info, hand them a card and tell them to review the website`s service options.

If you have time, always get em while they`re hot. If they have to jump through any hoops it`s likely that the opportunity to gain a new customer is gone.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, what do you tell those clients regarding the durability of the Opti Seal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    If you have time, always get em while they`re hot. If they have to jump through any hoops it`s likely that the opportunity to gain a new customer is gone.

Agreed. I`m already there, why not make more at that location if I have time?

detailfanatic-I get 4-6 months out of Opti-Seal here. No acid rain or industrial fallout and winters here are generally pretty mild. I just tell them that it is best to add more protection with each change of the seasons.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Scott. I may have to test some here. Not a lot of acid rain or fallout, but a lot of rain, especially in our winters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    You don`t need to make it a problem with you. Just do what the want and what they will pay for. If it`s out of your way, then don`t go.

You have to look at it for the long run though. Would you rather have one correction customer that you might see every year and tell just a few about your OR 20 monthly customers where each tell 3 people about you?

I have to look at it like the second because this is not a hobby for me, it`s how I pay my bills.

:xyxthumbs I totally understand that. I do my fair share of weekley washes on customers, I just don`t want that to be my main income stream. Then again I have been told numberous times, make that your income stream, detailing isn`t one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    because most likely an express wash is not what their car needs. I`d prefer to to call them back and set up a $200 full service VS $60 for a quicky. Also I wouldn`t want those walk ups to think "oh, this is all he can do."

<span style="color:#000000;">jaison tortorea, ts</span><span style="color:#ff33cc;">|</span><span style="color:#000000;">s Detailing</span>
    <span style="font-size:12px;">Cincinnati Car Detailing
    Cincinnati Clear Bra</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Car Detailing</span></p>

<span style="font-size:12px;">Northern KY Clear Bra</span>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tssdetailing
    because most likely an express wash is not what their car needs. I`d prefer to to call them back and set up a $200 full service VS $60 for a quicky. Also I wouldn`t want those walk ups to think "oh, this is all he can do."

More likely than not, you`ll just pass this money up. Many cars "need" more than what people are ready or can pay for. It`s your call of course but for *me* I`ll take them if I can. You get the opportunity for them to see the quality of your work. Possible strike up a bit in conversation that may lead to that full correction and future care.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    if you can lock up 10 wash and optiseal jobs in a day at $75 each, thats a solid days work! Maybe set up mondays as your wash and wax day every week, then tuesdays as your maintenance wash days, then the rest of the days you work that week are dedicated to detail days

If you have to wash a bunch of cars at 20 bucks each, you have to wash at least 15 cars to make it worth the day...thats a lot of work for a little money! I personally would rather do a one step with interior at $300 than wash 6 cars to make half! I understand the marketing aspect of doing more work to get more work, but at the same time, your wash customers are only bragging about a wash company at that point, not a detail company. I didnt start up Envious Car Washing because quite frankly, I hate washing cars! There is no joy, no wow factor in washing a car, and most people want to spend $20-25 tops. Kinda hard to make a career on $17-$20 per hour...might as well go work for someone else (unless you have 10 employees working for you all over and you are collecting $100 per hour off them doing small scale wash work). Compare that to polishing someones car returning a lusterous shine to the paint and reviving the whole look to the car, on top of protecting the car with a fresh coat of a sealant wax for maxium durability...which sounds better, which will more than likely lead to more jobs at a higher hourly rate? Problem here is there is too much undercutting going on with the associated title of "detailer". When company A has a special for $120, Company B will "beat" that rate and do it for $110. Where do the quality aspects of each company come into play??? That`s why I dont care when people call me up and ask how much for a polish and wax and I say starts at $300. They will always ask why so much, Joe-Shmo is only $150..This is where I get to explain the differences in a dedicated diminishing abrasive polish, a sealant wax, thorough clay bar process compared to a quick clay treatment to get most of the junk off the paint, an AIO used to polish and wax the car in one step, etc. The processes are worlds apart in timing, and end result...I prefer to offer the better of the two because its my name on the end product, not my employers name! SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    but I do agree, its better to either get them in right then and there, or schedule an appointment right then and there minimum. So many times I used to just say call me without getting their info and I never receive a call back. STUPID ME!!!! Now, I book appointments as soon as possible because they are staring at the difference right in front of them! its easier to sell with a demo, and there is no better demo than a car you are already working on since you are not wasting your time because you`re getting paid for it already!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information