Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    I hate working on a car while the customer runs to his garage cabinet and gets his products and brags on them.

Why the fook did you call me then????

I lost track of the number of clients that have done this to me. So frustrating. It`s almost always something you can find on the bargain shelf at walmart or pepboys too. :frusty:

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve turned down boats, motorhomes, motorcycles, etc. I hate doing it (especially for good customers), I`ll usually say something like "It`s a bit out of my league" or "I wouldn`t feel comfortable getting into a job that I have no prior experience with". Most of the time they understand.

Certain customers can really be a PITA. One annoying situation that I`ve been in a few times is when a customer wants a wash and wax, and when they come to pick the car up and inspect it they will say something to the effect of "You couldn`t do anything about this scratch?". Well, gee, I`ve explained to you what polishing is and what it does, you didn`t want it, what kind of result did you expect? No, I won`t be breaking out the 1500 grit and wool pads on a hunch that you might have wanted scratches removed on a basic wash and wax "detail".

I`ve been in similar scenarios with bug etching on the front of the car and on the mirrors. Customer wanted a basic exterior detail (clay, AIO type polish followed by OCW) and when I drop the car off, he goes "Those bugs must have really been tough to remove, eh?" (I know this customer rather well and could tell that he was implying that I ought to have done a "better" job). I explain to him that the "bugs" he was seeing is actually bug guts that have etched into the paint and it would have required compounding and polishing the whole nose of the car (defects which you didn`t request be removed in the first place), and he looks at me dumbfounded. Yes, bugs will etch paint when you don`t wash your black car for three months during the middle of summer.

I know everyone likes to say that to be successful requires going above and beyond what the customer asked for and to completely blow them away, and that is true to an extent. But I won`t be doing defect removal for "free" when it`s going to take me an extra twenty or thirty minutes, nor will I scrub grime from your tan leather seats when all you ask for is your interior to be vacuumed and windows cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate turning down work, whatever it is. Just bad business, but after being is this biz for over 20 years, there is work that is not worth the work. Pun intended.

Last week a lady phoned me before before business hours, a week I usually take off anyways, Christmas to New Years. Asking to shampoo her back seat area because her kid got sick. Normally it would be a speech on bio hazard, but I politely said I was on holidaze

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa3346
    I`ve turned down boats, motorhomes, motorcycles, etc. I hate doing it (especially for good customers), I`ll usually say something like "It`s a bit out of my league" or "I wouldn`t feel comfortable getting into a job that I have no prior experience with". Most of the time they understand.

Certain customers can really be a PITA. One annoying situation that I`ve been in a few times is when a customer wants a wash and wax, and when they come to pick the car up and inspect it they will say something to the effect of "You couldn`t do anything about this scratch?". Well, gee, I`ve explained to you what polishing is and what it does, you didn`t want it, what kind of result did you expect? No, I won`t be breaking out the 1500 grit and wool pads on a hunch that you might have wanted scratches removed on a basic wash and wax "detail".

I`ve been in similar scenarios with bug etching on the front of the car and on the mirrors. Customer wanted a basic exterior detail (clay, AIO type polish followed by OCW) and when I drop the car off, he goes "Those bugs must have really been tough to remove, eh?" (I know this customer rather well and could tell that he was implying that I ought to have done a "better" job). I explain to him that the "bugs" he was seeing is actually bug guts that have etched into the paint and it would have required compounding and polishing the whole nose of the car (defects which you didn`t request be removed in the first place), and he looks at me dumbfounded. Yes, bugs will etch paint when you don`t wash your black car for three months during the middle of summer.

I know everyone likes to say that to be successful requires going above and beyond what the customer asked for and to completely blow them away, and that is true to an extent. But I won`t be doing defect removal for "free" when it`s going to take me an extra twenty or thirty minutes, nor will I scrub grime from your tan leather seats when all you ask for is your interior to be vacuumed and windows cleaned.

This is where educating your customers and making sure you know exactly what their expectations are BEFORE you start is hugely important. Making sure you explain all the different possibilities of what you can do and how much each will cost can help avoid customers coming back and complaining about things they didn`t want to pay for. I try and avoid doing these types of jobs - especially with interior jobs. I can`t even begin to get into how many people come in and need a shampoo but demand just a "quickie" because they don`t want to pay. That was always the #1 source of customer complaints for me when I first opened

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa3346

After a few hundred cars, you learn to point out the "land mines" on cars when you check the car in:

1. Scratches that reached basecoat

2. Stains that won`t come out 100%

3. Dog hair that can`t be completely removed.

4. Brake dust staining that is permanent.

5. Items not covered by a "cheaper" or "quickie" service.

Don`t just take the keys and go to work. Do a 2 minute walkaround and realistically describe what you can achieve...every time.
    Robert Keppel

Applied Colors

"Profit More"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShineShop
    This is where educating your customers and making sure you know exactly what their expectations are BEFORE you start is hugely important. Making sure you explain all the different possibilities of what you can do and how much each will cost can help avoid customers coming back and complaining about things they didn`t want to pay for. I try and avoid doing these types of jobs - especially with interior jobs. I can`t even begin to get into how many people come in and need a shampoo but demand just a "quickie" because they don`t want to pay. That was always the #1 source of customer complaints for me when I first opened

Quote Originally Posted by 602rwtq
    After a few hundred cars, you learn to point out the "land mines" on cars when you check the car in:

1. Scratches that reached basecoat

2. Stains that won`t come out 100%

3. Dog hair that can`t be completely removed.

4. Brake dust staining that is permanent.

5. Items not covered by a "cheaper" or "quickie" service.

Don`t just take the keys and go to work. Do a 2 minute walkaround and realistically describe what you can achieve...every time.

Don`t get me wrong, the number of times I`ve had issues with customers can be counted on two hands; and yes, this is over the course of several hundred cars. I should probably just chalk it up to an anomaly more than anything.

The issue with scratch removal with a wash and wax was indeed after I spent a bit of time going over things with the customer (he wanted an interior detail and wash and wax). They were fine scratches (more like isolated deep marring, removed without much fuss), but the thing was, for each "scratch" he pointed out (maybe 2 or 3 total), I saw several more on less noticable areas or on lower panels. So do I point those other ones out to him, or leave it be? To give a little context, it was on a dark blue Boxster that he was putting away for the winter, and he said (again, prior to the detail) that he would have me polish it in the spring.

The bug etching was a weird situation which I won`t get into, as it wasn`t a big deal, but it reminds me of another scenario I was in. I did maintenance washes on a few cars for an elderly couple, I spoke with the husband who wanted X done on two cars, I do it, he pays me, then his wife calls me ~4 hours later complaining that I didn`t do Y. I ended up doing it for free (Y being the seats and dash cleaned, too) because the rest of her family are excellent customers of mine and it only required a half an hour. I kind of dislike dealing with elderly customers (particularly this one) due to things like this. I guess when one reaches their late 70s, spousal communication isn`t at its peak, plus they can just forget what work they requested be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "3 detailing jobs I declined"

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Just bad business, but after being is this biz for over 20 years, there is work that is not worth the work. Pun intended.
    Not a pun bro.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy 6 1/2 year old thread brump Bump Wrsity !
    You must have finished installing the flux capacity on the De-l-en

Post Thanks / Like

Holy 6 1/2 year old thread brump Bump Wrsity !<br>You must have finished installing the flux capacity on the De-l-en

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Holy 6 1/2 year old thread brump Bump Wrsity !
    You must have finished installing the flux capacity on the De-l-en
    Second time I’ve done this today.

Get me to 88mph stat.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, More like the 1st 3 post of this brand new account was like that. I`m not sure if you`re trollin....but I`m out of these old @@# threads

Post Thanks / Like

I`m finding a few of `em interesting, though I guess most are just making me all "oh sheesh, and we still have that today..".

Heh heh, others make me more certain than ever that my going to a Pro would generally just make both parties miserable. E.g., the "customer`s crappy products"..My local "Pro" (scare-quotes intentional) would LSP mine with something other than FK1000P. Hmmm...think I`d be as satisfied? Some of my tires are *perfect* with Griot`s, others with Pinnacle, others with Zaino; use the wrong one and it`s obvious to me. Think he`d get that right?

This may be one industry that actually hates an informed consumer! [INSERT usual rant about what happened when the Pro didn`t listen to me about how to approach my Jag ]

Post Thanks / Like

There is one caveat that I see from these "old threads" on turning down jobs: If you are professional detailer with a legitimate detailing business, do you have vehicle inspection sheet that shows a generic picture of the type of vehicle that allows you to mark on it what areas of concern you see in your inspection AND a check-off list of detailing services you will provide and at what price and signed by the customer?? Contracts of this type are almost a necessity to avoid ANY possible service performed disputes, damages that may have previously occurred (not by the detailer, that is) or litigation. With today`s photo-taking Smartphones, this too is a tool any detailer should employ when inspecting a vehicle and again, have the customer sign off on the images taken that this was the condition of the vehicle when delivered to the detailer.
    Sometimes this will scare off potential problem customers who may be looking to scam a detailing business and say, "I am not pay you because you damaged my vehicle". Yes, this a CMA (Cover My "Arse") policy and business practice, but it just makes good common sense in this day of consumer litigation.

With todays internet and available personal background check providers, is it worth the money to subscribe to them and then check on the background of a potential new customer?? I know dental services do this and if they find that a new customer has "financial problems" (Like a poor credit score or bankruptcy), they will ask for the money up front before ANY services are performed. There is no such thing as "just put it on my bill or "send me the bill" anymore. I doubt that a detailing business could or would ask for a certain percentage of the estimate up front, but that, too, would depend on the scope and cost of the detailing services being provided.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad idea with the old condition report sheet. I’d be inclined to use it as a check sheet for staff to proof their work rather than a liability tool.

Glad we don’t have to deal with ```` like you mentioned in Australia on anything but a rare scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    There is one caveat that I see from these "old threads" on turning down jobs: If you are professional detailer with a legitimate detailing business, do you have vehicle inspection sheet that shows a generic picture of the type of vehicle that allows you to mark on it what areas of concern you see in your inspection AND a check-off list of detailing services you will provide and at what price and signed by the customer??...
    With todays internet and available personal background check providers..
    I`d be surprised if any Pro didn`t do that stuff, and/but I think it`s great that you brought it up just in case somebody hadn`t thought of it. CYA indeed! Honest people might not think of the stuff that DIShonest people will come up with. Sheesh, you Pros have it tough enough already...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information