Customer brought a black Ford Lightning to the shop yesterday for a full wet sand to get rid of some of the absolute worst peel I`ve ever seen. I know for a fact that this truck was painted at least 2 months ago. So I started sanding the peel on a fender with 1000 and the 1000 knocked the peel down so fast I was astonished. So I switched to 2000 and it was still sanding what seemed to be way too fast. Then I happened to touch the paint with my fingernail and it made a deep mark in the paint, woah! The paint on this thing is so soft it seems like the painter forgot to put the catalyst into the clear and it never cured. So I buffed the spot that I sanded, and it buffed out nicely except for all kinds of sanding scratches left in the paint, almost like the 2000 was acting more like 800 in spots due to the softness of the paint.

At this point I decided to call the customer and refuse the job. He came to look at it and wants me to continue, said he would sign a waiver protecting me if I happen to burn through the paint and waive me from being responsible from the sanding scratches left behind. They are going to come back Monday when it`s sunny to see if they can live with the imperfections and then make final decision if they want me to continue, I said fine. I told them to go back to the painter and have the problem fixed but they don`t want to. Pretty much the painter will tell them to F off, they already accepted the truck after the job.

But now I`m thinking waiver or no waiver, I should refuse this job. Thing is I know I can get alot of work from these guys and if they go somewhere else that will take the job, they may just continue to use that shop instead. But I don`t want my name on sub-par work even though it`s been ok`ed by the client. But I want to keep getting work from them.

What do you think?