Post Thanks / Like
    For many years stain removing was not something detailers paid much attention to in their work. If they could not get a stain out with the normal shampoo process it stay on the carpets and/or fabric seats. And, even today with the industry moving more and more to retail trade, many detailers are inadequate in terms of stain removing knowledge. They do not have the tools, the chemical nor the knowhow.

Like anything in the detail business a professional detailer needs to know how to diagnose the problem. In the case of stain removing you need to know the fiber and the staining material before attempting to remove.

Why are some stains hard to remove than others? It is really all about chemistry.

First off, stains have some type of chemical component.

Red Kool-Aid contains red dye. Asphalt is petroleum based. Coffee is an acidic beverage with what are called tannins. Red wind has natural colors and also contains tannins.

As well, the carpet or fabric upholstery has a chemical component and a "liking" for certain things.

For example, nylon likes acid-based dyes which is what are used in the carpet mills when coloring nylon fibers.

Simply, what this means is that nylon, dyed with an acid-based dye is going to have an affinity for acid-based stains.

The synthetic material "olefin" fibers will reject acid dyes, tannins and natural juices.

Olefin likes oily sols. So a asphalt on an olefin fiber is going to be more difficult to remove than the same asphalt on nylon.

Polyester a first cousin to olefin also likes oily soils but is not particularly friendly to normal liquid spills such acid dye stains, natural juices, tannins.

WHAT IS THE PHYSICAL ATTRACTION?

Stains are made of chemicals with what are called loose ends. These loose ends stick to loose ends on which they stain.

Sounds simple, but it is a good description of what happens when something is spilled or a carpet or fabric upholstery.

In other words there has to be a opening in the fiber that the stain likes.

For example, polyester and mustard. Polyester is dyed with a disperse dye system and mustard contains a disperse dye.

While polyester can withstand spills from protein (food-type) stains, the villan mustard will bond to it leaving a horrible stain, difficult to remove.

Not that it cannot be removed, it is just going to be difficult and require knowledge and skill to do so.

[B]AN EXAMPLE

A customer comes in having spilled coffee all over the front carpet (by the way the majority of automotive carpeting is nylon) which is beige in color. What you have is a large dark brown stain.

After following the proper stain removal techniques (chemical and process) you have removed 95% of the stain, but you still have a stain. This is unacceptable to the customer who wants you to remove it completely, of course.

So you use an oxidizing solution and maybe a vapor steamer and after more time and effort you remove the stain. Success!!! Well sort of.

What do you mean, "sort of?"

Simple you did not expect to spend an additional 30 minutes removing stains in your price. You had to expend more time than you expected when you took the job.

That is why I preach that detailers should not post prices and evaluate and price based on the condition of the vehicle. Sure you can put a disclaimer saying prices based on size and condition of the car, but most customers see an increase in a posted price as "bait and switch."

Keep in mind the "price conscious" customer is not a loyal customer they are price shoppers and will not be back if they find a lower price.

BE A DIAGNOSTICIAN, A STAIN EXPERT

When dealing with stains you need to know the material of the stain and you need to know the material the stain has offended. If you don`t you will not have success in removing stains.

What are the likes and dislikes of the offended material, either carpet or upholstery.

For example, if olefin upholstery has an acid dye stain, you can remove it with simple cleaning. And you can use a wider variety of cleaning chemicals with olefin material.

But if it is a acid dye stain in nylon carpeting you are not going to be able to remove this easily. You will have to work smarter and harder.

But if you take the time to learn about upholstery fibers (carpets are always nylon) and learn about the nature of all types of stains you will be better prepared.

You really need to have a stain removal kit for the 6 most common stains and, in my opinion, a vapor steamer to be a stain removal expert.

Hope this helps you with your interior detailing.

Regards

Bud Abraham

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    And where would one find such a kit?
    Abbotsford Auto Detailing in Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that every detail chemical company and/or their distributors would offer a stain removal kit.

My advise is to not get "sucked" into the conversation that "we got a stain remover for all stains." As you read stains are different just like materials are different.

A complete stain removal kit should include:

+ Protein stain remover (organic food stuffs)

+ Tar & Grease stain remover (inorganic stuffs)

+ Red Dye stain remover

+ Coffee & Tea stain remover (tannins)

+ Rust stain remover

+ Pet Stain & Odor Neutralizing remover

If you are unable to find one locally my company does have such a kit.

Regards

Bud ABraham

Post Thanks / Like
    Bud-

Since I occasionally respond to posts of yours that for one reason or another blip my radar, I think it is only fitting to respond to this one because it was informative, useful, and didn`t have a condescending tone whatsoever. I doubt that is typically the intent, perhaps just a writing style of yours, or maybe its how I interpret some of them.

But I digress - excellent post. :clap2:

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most people who write extensively adopt a certain ‘style’ of writing, some come off as ‘cold’ and very factual, which some read into as being condescending or even as arrogant, which is very rarely the writer’s intent. One thing that I have learned after twenty some years of professional writing is that you cannot keep people from reading what is not written, its either in their imagination or ‘between the lines’. 90% of human communication is from verbal tone and body language, both of which are nonexistent when reading words.

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin and TOGWT

Thank you.

Bud Abraham

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    I for one generally find your (buda) posts helpfull and appreciate the time you put into writting them.

There is plenty of info on how to perfect a vehicles exterior, but the truth is that most of my customers care far more about their vehicles interior than exterior. I read whatever I can that might help get my interiors just a little bit cleaner.
    Abbotsford Auto Detailing in Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JPostal
    I for one generally find your (buda) posts helpfull and appreciate the time you put into writting them.

There is plenty of info on how to perfect a vehicles exterior, but the truth is that most of my customers care far more about their vehicles interior than exterior. I read whatever I can that might help get my interiors just a little bit cleaner.

Men are usually more concerned with the exterior and women the interior, I have found.

There are more women driver`s on the road than men, and women purchase 58% of automotive services.

By the way, no intent to be condescending by my comments in case

They are misinterpreted

Thread Information