Post Thanks / Like
    Have been thinking about doing this for a while and decided to go ahead and move forward with it. Having a full time job, it will only be on afternoons and weekends, so that will limit my customer base, but that`s OK. One thing that I don`t want to do is encroach on anyone in the area that might be doing quality work and it`s their sole source of income. My house is perfect for this as I have a large porte cochere that gives me shade for the entire day. Not looking to do mobile work, but do hope to generate some business preparing cars for concours events in addition to normal daily drivers. Our kids are grown, and I spend most evenings and weekends sitting on my butt, or tending to my own cars. Figured that it was time to finally do this, so we`ll see how it goes. Wish me luck...

Bobby
    Bobby
    Concours Werkstatt Auto Detailing

`07 328iS
    `99 911 Carrera
    `65 356 SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on the venture

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck Bobby! I see my self trying something similar in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    I give you alot of credit.

Good luck with the new venture!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I do have over 30 years experience and have prepared many cars for concours competition, but my work has been sporadic and had it not been for this site, I would not be up to speed with newer technologies and techniques. I;ll keep y`all up to date with how things go for me and what is working and what is not.

Thanks,

Bobby
    Bobby

`07 328iS
    `99 911 Carrera
    `65 356 SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobby.. one thing you should do is take a ride aroud and check out some some of the "detailing shops" that are in your area. You would be surprised to find that some of them are just a "hole in the wall" with poor lighting, rotary buffers with dirty wool pads, old rags and crappy towelling and turtle wax compounds and waxes.

There are plenty of cars and clients out there. You just have to strive to do your best and let your work speak for itself.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...marketing.html

l

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...-detailer.html

Good luck on your new venture, keep us posted on your progress...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I`m definitely aware of the typical `detail shops`. My education in auto detailing began 33 years ago, working at my father`s car dealership. Back then, all we had to work with was a 4500 RPM(!) `buffer` with a wool pad and Dupont compounds and polishes. Over time, I learned about proper paint correction from the local Mirror Glaze rep, as well as the rest of the stuff that experience teaches you. Thanks to the advent of the internet and the posters on Autopia who like to share their knowledge, I continue to learn.

My challenge now is to get the word out that I`m ready to do work for others, and plan to focus my advertising and getting the word out to others in the local car clubs, showing off my work and handing out business cards at the local `cars and coffees` and car shows. Also, at the next big Porsche event (Boxstoberfest), I will be giving out two $100 gift certificates. Hopefully this will get the clientele that I`m looking for.

The first big challenge is coming up with a good name for the business!
    Bobby

`07 328iS
    `99 911 Carrera
    `65 356 SC

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m in about the same situation with my retirement coming up and wanting to venture into a part-time gig. Your advertising ideas seem good enough start you in the right direction. Have you looked into any ads on local car club or group forums ? My first paying customers have been co-workers and that has gotten me a few phone calls already. As for a business name , good luck in finding something not already taken in your area.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! Just enjoy your work and the passion will show to your customers.

Just go to businesses and simply introduce yourself and what you do.

You will succeed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Justin. Not looking to encroach on anyone`s business, though I don`t care about taking business away from a hack shop. The way I see it, if a guy is doing good work, he won`t lose any business. As you can see from my signature, I`ve decided on `Concours Werkstatt` as my business name. Googled it and couldn`t find it anywhere, so I should be OK. Hopefully, between the two $100 gift certificates and the appearance of my 12 year old daily driver 911, I`ll pick up some business at the Boxstoberfest next month in the Texas hill country.
    Bobby

`07 328iS
    `99 911 Carrera
    `65 356 SC

Thread Information