Post Thanks / Like
    A customer might have heard and read good things about your work. They could have been referred by your satisfied customer. So many possibilities. Or they`re impressed with your actual work, courtesy, professionalism etc.

Last few days, I encountered a strange situation.....and a good lesson learned.

A rich foreigner has just established a new home and office 10 km from my place. Bought a new expensive vehicle and wanted it detailed. He was recommended by one of my acquiantances.

Had a 45min discussion with this foreigner on his expectations on this huge, big budget job.......any issues with paint and interior, job scope, timing and budget. Talked casually about leather and interior cleaning. He accepted everything, had no specific questions on specific areas (interior and exterior). It was a breeze.

And then....he explained that he has gone to 2 other professionals, and that he walked away after asking them what leather products they use and how they clean leather. ?????? Strange...the other 2 pros are using the premium leather stuff from Meguiars, Lexol etc...ya know what I mean. They do great work too, and I know them.

And he asked me the same question: what leather stuff do I use?

I asked him back "what kinda leather products/brands would you like to see, cos there`s so many. Are there certain brands you expect/prefer???

He revealed that:

1. His Italian company is one of the leading suppliers of leather to BMW, Mercedes etc, and they own tanneries around the world

2. He is a leather expert, and in his opinion, most leathercare products out there are "rubbish". :shocked:shocked

We started talking about tanning, aniline-dyeing, top grain leather etc and the usual leather mumbo jumbo. Interesting, enlightening experience from a "leather master"!!!

Hmmm....so...this customer has his FINAL criteria for choosing the detailer:pray1:

I explained to him the 2 tier system in my shop:

Tier1: Simpler products for budget jobs: meguiars, einszett etc (he had a smirk on his face)

Tier2: For big budget interior detailing on premium cars where customer expects professional products made by/associated to established leathercare experts. I showed him LederZentrum`s Colour Lock, LTT of UK, Leatherique and our much-loved Leather Master.

He gave me his biggest smile (for the 1st time) when he saw the LederZentrum and LTT stuff, gave me a thumbs up, handed the keys to me:cool1:, and walked into his waiting limo who sent him to the airport. On Xmas eve late afternoon, we started work on his vehicle. He shd hv just reached Italy in time for Xmas!

Sometimes, it`s good to know some background info on the customer if you`re able to get it. Helps you prepare your explanation/presentation strategy accordingly to impress him/her, and to address his/her REAL area of interest:yawn1:

Post Thanks / Like
    gigondaz- I enjoyed reading that, and yeah...there are a lot of lessons to be learned from your interaction with that customer.

Good of you to play it right (and smart), and I especially liked how you didn`t have preconceived notions like "the customer doesn`t know from shinola" :xyxthumbs

(Oh, and *sheesh*...you sure do have an interesting clientele! Now don`t go wetsanding his ride )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    .........Now don`t go wetsanding his ride )

HAHAHAAAAA.......:chuckle:

Thread Information