Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally when someone is lying, they give away too much information. Dissecting his original email leads me to believe he is lying due to the fact he immediately mentioned he is hearing impaired, why does this matter if the 2 of you are exchanging emails? Also, he gave us all this information about where the vehicle was going, who was there, his impairment, but nothing about how he found your detailing shop? Sounds weird. Another thing that sparked my curiosity is this, he said he wanted the car towed back to your shop, supposedly the vehicle was in an accident and repaired, so if it needs to be towed back, then lets just assume that it is still in NC where it was heading (if any of this is true)......so you mean to tell me that between NC and Utah he could not find one single reputable detailer? He never mentioned how he came across your shop, but he just has to have it done there right? Doesn`t add up.

Greg am not taking anything away from your detailing abilities, am merely stating that it seems suspicious for an individual to have body repair done and the body shop did not "detail" his vehicle before returning it? (and yes I already know body shops are not detailers, but still)

Something else noticeable, he kept saying I do live here in state (bad grammar) but just those words right there tell me his message is generic and could be used as a template for contacting others in different states.

And last but not least, in every conversation he pushes for you to charge his card and give the funds to his tow guy (which.....first was HIS private company, then later turned out to be a small company who are his friends?) He invited you into a Google Chat to persuade you to complete the transaction (run the card and give him the money so his hands are clean)

I say this is a classic scam. :ignore

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup a scam.. Im always leery about emails from yahoo or aol that regard to my business. You can usually tell within the first few sentences as almost all scams use almost identical wording. almost all scams will say "best regards" at the end of the email.
    Dynamic Detailing

Lancaster, PA

Josh Weaver

2003 Monte Carlo SS :woot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Any more contact from this guy again Greg? Definately sounds like a scam.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s a scam.

It is a very tricky scheme that has been used tons of times in different contexts.

The idea is to have the scammed individual pull out money from a credit card, or checking account and pay back a certain amount of that money. The credit card or check will clear and funds will be withdrawn, and then you will give the scammer back a certain amount. When the checking account or credit card account is discovered as a fraud, it comes back to the individual who made ran the credit card, or cashed the check. That puts you in a bad place with a white collar crime on your hands and the scammer may or may not have gotten his money from you, but he is not guilty of a crime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Any more contact from this guy again Greg? Definitively sounds like a scam.

I got him to send a card number, I then called Discovery and reported the card as fraudulent use. They are grateful. I sent a message back to the guy, telling him the card was stolen.......he wrote back to say he`ll send another card

I also received two more TDD calls I told them send me an email rather than TDD as too many frauds out there..........

While I knew it was a fraud all along, I wanted to learn how it all works, I wanted to share that with the forum........Hope someone learned from it.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    I sent a message back to the guy, telling him the card was stolen.......he wrote back to say he`ll send another card
    LOL ! Well, I suppose most criminals aren`t the brightest.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WAS
    LOL ! Well, I suppose most criminals aren`t the brightest.

On the contrary, there are people that would still go along despite all the warning issues then the scam will still work...Many scammers usually have to work on percentages, they just need to find a few.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Any time they want to overpay you and have you send the difference or want you to use Western Union it is 100% always a scam. Always. Never an exception. Ever.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Any time they want to overpay you and have you send the difference or want you to use Western Union it is 100% always a scam. Always. Never an exception. Ever.

Exactly. Here is an article I read on this. It gives some good info on these types of scams.

Service for Hearing Impaired Scam Affects Businesses
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Hey Scott, your PM inbox is turned off, you got an e-mail address ? Got something I`d like to ask you.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CosminTX
    easy scam ,

the deal is this: u run a fake card/stole card , steal money from a credit card and send the money to the thief.

his mission : to find someone who do the dirty work so he is clean.

I was just thinking this same thing. Then you get charged with fraud and could end up in a lot of trouble.
    It is not worth doing unless you do it right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information