Post Thanks / Like
    i have a question for the ones of you who offer clay bar treatment as a package , without polish steps.

i been into a situation that i don`t want to be again , claybar a black car , but i follow all the rules: new towels , new fine claybar , extra onr in wash bucket ,extra onr-clay dilution in spray bottle , but the car was black and i think soft paint..... u got the idea.

lucky the car was schedule for 1 step polish so all the "clay damage" was remove.

what do you do when you have claybar as a package with no polish and you schedule a black car for it?

- you explain the owner that a polish should follow the clay bar for better results

- you test the paint and see how it looks after claybar

sooner or later you will deal with soft paint that a claybar may haze the finish even if use enough/extra qd and care.

* i am not looking for a "hero" answer here, just people that detail every day and face a similar situation.

thank you!

Cosmin
    ProReflection
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t offer a clay bar service w/o some sort of polishing step. They have to step up to a wash/clay/AIO or wash/clay/polish/sealant to get the clay bar service.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    I don`t offer a clay bar service w/o some sort of polishing step. They have to step up to a wash/clay/AIO or wash/clay/polish/sealant to get the clay bar service.

Same here. I think both are essential steps.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like

exactly...never clay without polishing, never polish without claying...

Post Thanks / Like

for the wash / clay / AIO do you always use an abrasive AIO (like megs #6 or D151) or can you get by with an AIO product without abrasives (klasse AIO for example)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with everyone about needing the polishing steps after claying. But I don`t think ONR is a good enough lube for a clay bar. It just doesn`t seem to be slick enough which will cause the clay to stick. IF you need a cheap clay lube try using zaino wash. Cant remember the number but one bottle of their wash gave me ten to fifteen bottles of clay lube. Super slick and very little marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to admit, I was on the ONR clay lube train, but have since gotten off it. Megs last touch is a much better lube and ends up being about 3.50 per gallon when you buy a 5gal and cut it 1:1 I think its just as slick at 1:1 as full strength. I have converted back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy

funny we were just talking about this. Definitley agree with at least following up with a light polish after claying especially if you are pulling out heavy contaminants..

Post Thanks / Like
    I do offer claybar package without a polishing step.... kind of. But I also apply wax/sealant with the PC so if there is any marring left behind from clay it is typically removed with my pad/sealant combo and I typically do not have any issues with it.

If it`s a soft paint car I go very lightly with the clay to begin with and will use a white pad with my sealant which typically jewels the surface nicely leaving a great finish.

That`s kind of one of my trade secrets as I know many swear by waxing by hand but it never looks as great as what I can do when waxing with a PC and the proper pad combo.

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I know people just clay on their own cars with really mild clay like sonus green and lots of lube but it seems the key to minimal marring is to constantly fold over/clean the clay because the moment you spot anything pulled up you`re essentially turmimg the bar into a sander..me personally I used to clay and then nxt but haven`t clayed without polishing since I got my da

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy

My thoughts exactly!...any panel that ever see`s clay always gets polished or sealed.
    David M. Sylican

Innovative Detailing

Headlight Lens Restoral

O.C. California

Thread Information