Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I`m about to buy an `09 lexus is 250 (starfire pearl), and I was planning on getting it detailed. I had someone check the car today and they found this:

I know that the deep scratches will always be there, but can that be buff`d/fixed up by a detailer? From far away it`s not really noticeable, but when you get up close and personal it looks like that. Any info would be appreciated! Just trying to figure out how much I should try to haggle on the price after this discovery. If this is in the wrong forum then please let me know, exhaustion has kicked in!

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like the previous owner went too close to a concrete block separating parking spots. The bottom part will have to be sanded and re-painted if you are that concerned about it. IMO, I do not think it is worth the hassle, as it hardly noticable from the bottom and not really from the top down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longdx
    That looks like the previous owner went too close to a concrete block separating parking spots. The bottom part will have to be sanded and re-painted if you are that concerned about it. IMO, I do not think it is worth the hassle, as it hardly noticable from the bottom and not really from the top down.

Thanks for the input longdx. Do you think a buff would help hide some of it? Like the parts that seem to be hanging off the car which are probably plastic/paint combo? I`m not really too concerned because as you said, it`s not very noticeable from the top.

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    It appears as thought the dealer had someone spray the valance to camouflage the damage a little bit. Many dealers use mobile paint repair guys to do blow in work like that...often times the work is shoddy and will peel or flake off. You could use a razor blade to cut of the shredded plastic hanging there, but the deep scrapes that were painted over will always be there...no amount of polishing or sanding will fix that. If you plan to have it properly repaired I would bank on spending at least $300.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s already been fixed as well as it will get w/o professionally having a body shop do it.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    It`s already been fixed as well as it will get w/o professionally having a body shop do it.

I have to disagree. I offer bumper repairs at my shop and they come out looking 90%-100% at about 40% of the cost of a body shop, not to mention the savings on time.

The problem is that there are a ton of on-site bumper repair hacks working for dealerships. It is the exact same issue with bumper repairs as with detailing at dealerships. They want the cheapest thing possible and quality suffers. Fortunately, I have an autopian level bumper repair guy who does AWESOME work.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Claude
    I have to disagree. I offer bumper repairs at my shop and they come out looking 90%-100% at about 40% of the cost of a body shop, not to mention the savings on time.

The problem is that there are a ton of on-site bumper repair hacks working for dealerships. It is the exact same issue with bumper repairs as with detailing at dealerships. They want the cheapest thing possible and quality suffers. Fortunately, I have an autopian level bumper repair guy who does AWESOME work.

So I`m curious as to what your guy is going in regards to clear. I have seen countless docs from car mfgs that say they in no way will pay for spot blending, entire panels must be cleared otherwise the repair will fail. I have seen this personally where blended clear will just start peeling after a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    So I`m curious as to what your guy is going in regards to clear. I have seen countless docs from car mfgs that say they in no way will pay for spot blending, entire panels must be cleared otherwise the repair will fail. I have seen this personally where blended clear will just start peeling after a while.

Primer, base and quality clear. The quality of the clear coat makes a huge difference in the longevity. Will it last 20+ years? I dunno. But I have seen quality bumper touch ups last beyond 10 years. I know multiple guys that do awesome work. The peeling paint/clear is from shoddy work.

I do not tell my clients that they are getting a body shop job. I educate them on what we do and what the benefits are. When they see that they can have a bumper repair for $300 that will look good for many years they jump at it. The option is $1200+ and being carless for 2 weeks.(and many are wary of body shop quality even then)

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re doing this type of bumper repair at 40% of the cost of what a body shop would do it for you`re either: (1) spot refinishing :nono / (2) using inferior materials :nono / (3) not removing the bumper from the vehicle :nono / (4) All The Above. If you are utilizing 1 or more of these components it`s not Autopian, ethical or professional in any way shape or form.

Primer, base and quality clear. The quality of the clear coat makes a huge difference in the longevity. Will it last 20+ years? I dunno. But I have seen quality bumper touch ups last beyond 10 years. I know multiple guys that do awesome work. The peeling paint/clear is from shoddy work.

I do not tell my clients that they are getting a body shop job. I educate them on what we do and what the benefits are. When they see that they can have a bumper repair for $300 that will look good for many years they jump at it. The option is $1200+ and being carless for 2 weeks.(and many are wary of body shop quality even then)

You can be the best painter in the world who uses the best material, it doesn`t matter when you`re not doing the right procedures(which is the industry standard). There`s a reason why paint manufacturers won`t warranty a spot refinish job and even hack body shops atleast remove, repair and refinish the entire panel. The reason is that it won`t last. I highly doubt a spot refinish job will last on a vehicle exposed to sun and normal day to day wear, especially for 10 years! Maybe on a vehicle being stored in a bubble? In all my years of writing estimates for collision repair I can honestly say I`ve never seen a bumper repair even close to $1200? Most bumper repairs done properly through a body shop range between $400-$650 so you charging $300 isn`t worth it (and is actually overpriced)IMHO unless it`s being done on a lease turn in or a dealer car. If you feel so strongly that this type of service is of Autopian quality and can last well over 10 years, why even differentiate the quality of your service from a body shop job to your customers? I can see someone selling this service for someone looking for a cheap way out on fixing their car they don`t care about, but bottom line there`s not a body shop industry representative and/or paint manufacturer who will say this is a good repair. If it was I could gaurantee insurance companies would be ultizing it 1000`s of times per day.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Primer, base and quality clear.The peeling paint/clear is from shoddy work.

My understanding was that peeling was from the clear being too thin at the edges of the repair.

When they see that they can have a bumper repair for $300 that will look good for many years they jump at it. The option is $1200+ and being carless for 2 weeks.(and many are wary of body shop quality even then)

Even in the DC area, a bumper respray is ~$400-600 for the average shop. And two weeks... yikes, thats a crappy shop, turnaround should be two days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you guys have body shops fixing physically damaged bumpers for $500?! $1200+ is to replace the bumper, prime, base and clear.

As an example of the last repair done, we covered the whole car, sanded the mirror down and primered,base coated and cleared the mirror to fix a huge paint flake for $200. My customer was educated as to what we do and how it`s done, a price is given and they are happy to have it taken care of thw same day.

Take it for what it`s worth, but the paint fixes look awesome, cost less and take less time. We`ve not had issues with call backs for paint failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I was just saying a flat out re-spray. Of course a new cover is more. I`m sure you get plenty of people happy with the initial repairs, and if it works out for you, great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    No, I was just saying a flat out re-spray. Of course a new cover is more. I`m sure you get plenty of people happy with the initial repairs, and if it works out for you, great.

What`s great is recognizing a need and want of my clients and filling it. Offering the service came because of the request from clients. Seeing their joy when it comes out looking so great at a fraction of the cost is nice too. The "initial repair" part is duly noted(but really, we`re adults and there`s no need to be passive aggressive). But it`s mutually beneficial, despite your obvious disdain. They get what they are going to buy anyways and I can stay open to help more clients.

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s great is recognizing a need and want of my clients and filling it. Offering the service came because of the request from clients. Seeing their joy when it comes out looking so great at a fraction of the cost is nice too. The "initial repair" part is duly noted(but really, we`re adults and there`s no need to be passive aggressive). But it`s mutually beneficial, despite your obvious disdain. They get what they are going to buy anyways and I can stay open to help more clients.

I was just trying to be polite, in case you missed a few people calling your repair a total hack, but take it for whatever you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Had a pleasant response back and lost it.

In short. It doesn`t matter what you think, if you think an educated client making a choice is retarded. It`s not your job to decide for anyone else.

And being passive aggressive is not polite. It`s rude and insulting(I get the feeling that`s what you`re going for). If you`re passive aggressive with your customers(whatever you do, detailing or otherwise) and you believe that`s polite, you won`t be around long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information