Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    Up until recently I have been detailing out of the trunk of my Mazda3 sedan...by the time all of my gear was loaded into it I was left with no room for an air compressor. I finally got a van (Mazda MPV) with much more cargo space and would like to get a compressor for doing interiors. I currently have a little 100psi compressor that is too small...it runs constantly and has limited pressure. Any suggestions on the size of compressor I should get? Keep in mind that it still needs to be portable.

Also, besides blowing out air vents and other nooks and crannies, what do you guys use your compressor for when detailing interiors?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this compressor:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

I take it with me whenever I go mobile. Fits easily in the trunk. I used it to blow out my pads, engines and interiors. Perfect size and very mobile.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I have this compressor:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

I take it with me whenever I go mobile. Fits easily in the trunk. I used it to blow out my pads, engines and interiors. Perfect size and very mobile.

have you tried using that with any impact tools? I’m also looking for a compressor and I’m probably going to end up getting something around the 15-25 gallon size..
    Supreme Clean Automotive Detailing, LLC

Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used it with air powered DA sanders and it has a tough time keeping up. Not sure on impact tool? Great for interiors though.

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    David, what is the best/fastest way that you have found for cleaning air vents that have really heavy stubborn dust build up? I typically spray it with APC and then use a detail brush to loosen the dust and then a MF to finish up but often times once it drys there will be some dust left behind and I have to hit it again using the same process. Is there a faster way? I do mainly volume work and time is $...any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spray with APC > aggitate > blow > wipe

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same one as David. Don`t plan on knocking out a DA sanding job as fast as it could be done.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JPostal
    David, what is the best/fastest way that you have found for cleaning air vents that have really heavy stubborn dust build up? I typically spray it with APC and then use a detail brush to loosen the dust and then a MF to finish up but often times once it drys there will be some dust left behind and I have to hit it again using the same process. Is there a faster way? I do mainly volume work and time is $...any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can also try using a low gloss interior dressing after the APC. Something like Meguiars Water Based Dressing or 303 is great for that. It`s what I used when I did a lot of high volume work. Most the time the dressing offers enough cleaning ability and an APC is not even needed unless they are really dusty.

Post Thanks / Like
    The volume of air is also very important, esp if you want to use something like a Tornador.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to interject here, but I do a LOT of dusty / dirty interiors and experience the same problem you do. Typically I`ll pre-spray every vent with APC and let it settle as I vacuum. Then, I`ll hit it again with my Tornador, spending about 10 to 15 seconds, per vent. I also have the cone brush attachment for my Tornador, so I also agitate as much of the vents as possible. Even with this method, sometimes a little dirt or streaking of dust remains that you simply can`t get at. An aerosol spray dressing is really handy in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse
    The volume of air is also very important, esp if you want to use something like a Tornador.
    Yep. I have a 20-gallon Mastercraft compressor and it will handle a single Tornador no problem.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WAS
    Not to interject here, but I do a LOT of dusty / dirty interiors and experience the same problem you do. Typically I`ll pre-spray every vent with APC and let it settle as I vacuum. Then, I`ll hit it again with my Tornador, spending about 10 to 15 seconds, per vent. I also have the cone brush attachment for my Tornador, so I also agitate as much of the vents as possible. Even with this method, sometimes a little dirt or streaking of dust remains that you simply can`t get at. An aerosol spray dressing is really handy in this case.

Yep. I have a 20-gallon Mastercraft compressor and it will handle a single Tornador no problem.

Would you say that the Tornador is a "must have" for interior work. I don`t have but after watching the demo video I think I want one...is it worth the money (will it clean faster and better than more traditional cleaning methods?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you say that the Tornador is a "must have" for interior work. I don`t have but after watching the demo video I think I want one...is it worth the money (will it clean faster and better than more traditional cleaning methods?)
    Check out these threads:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...c-sunfire.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...port-trac.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...a-corolla.html

All those details were done using the Tornador. Yes, the Tornador does save time, and it does clean very well. Does it clean better than the traditional APC and paint brush method ? It depends on what`s soiling the vinyl / plastic. It has some problems getting things like oil and hydraulic grease off, but for the general interior, yes, it performs just as well as the traditional method. A very important factor, in my opinion anyways, is how little product you end up using per vehicle. One quart of the diluted cleaning solution will last me anywhere from 2 to 4 vehicles, depending on the size of the vehicle and how dirty it is. One diluted quart ends up costing about $3 USD. The tool itself cost around $130 USD, which is pretty cheap, and the brush cone add-on cost around $15 USD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I`ve just recently been growing my weekend warrior company (currently running out of the back of a pontiac g5- buying a truck soon). I have finally gone out and bought myself Husky 8-Gallon Air Compressor from home depot for only $150!! it was on a special sale so I thought I couldn`t go as I could try it out and if I wasn`t happy I could just return it! But I have to tell you this is one of the best Investments I`ve made! It has phenomenal blowing power and is perfect for cars, it also came with a nailer, paint sprayer, impact gun, and a bunch more. - I really specifically went out and bought the air compressor to do the interiors of vehicles BUT! The very next day I went and bought this - High performance vac w/cart - 16 gal - RIDGID Professional Tools *USED off some guy from craigslist for only $30 (I don`t think his head was on right), its practically brand new! I tried out the blower feature and believe it or not but it has more volume and air pressure than the 8 gallon Husky air compressor.

So what I`m trying to say here is I don`t think its exactly necessary to go out and buy a air compressor if you havent tried out the blower feature on your vacuum! especially when like in my case you can use your BEAST of wet/dry/blower! vac that can do just as good if not a better job than the air compressor.

Cheers!
    u gotta invest money to make money!

Post Thanks / Like

I`d have to say no. I don`t really care for them. Not enough aggitation, too bulky and you still need conventional compressed air to get into the tighter places.

Quote Originally Posted by jetwash
    Hey guys,

I`ve just recently been growing my weekend warrior company (currently running out of the back of a pontiac g5- buying a truck soon). I have finally gone out and bought myself Husky 8-Gallon Air Compressor from home depot for only $150!! it was on a special sale so I thought I couldn`t go as I could try it out and if I wasn`t happy I could just return it! But I have to tell you this is one of the best Investments I`ve made! It has phenomenal blowing power and is perfect for cars, it also came with a nailer, paint sprayer, impact gun, and a bunch more. - I really specifically went out and bought the air compressor to do the interiors of vehicles BUT! The very next day I went and bought this - High performance vac w/cart - 16 gal - RIDGID Professional Tools *USED off some guy from craigslist for only $30 (I don`t think his head was on right), its practically brand new! I tried out the blower feature and believe it or not but it has more volume and air pressure than the 8 gallon Husky air compressor.

So what I`m trying to say here is I don`t think its exactly necessary to go out and buy a air compressor if you havent tried out the blower feature on your vacuum! especially when like in my case you can use your BEAST of wet/dry/blower! vac that can do just as good if not a better job than the air compressor.

Cheers!

I don`t think you can compare what compressed air can do with what a vac can. Especially with an upgraded air blower. Your 8 gallon compressor is way too small for detailing and will be cycling constantly. Nail guns don`t require a high volume of air for continuous use like something for interior detailing does. I`m sure it`s better than nothing, but you`d be amazed if you upgraded to something with a larger tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    I`d have to say no. I don`t really care for them. Not enough aggitation, too bulky and you still need conventional compressed air to get into the tighter places.
    Fine, fine, we`ll fight about this one

I agree they`re a bit bulky and need some getting used to. They are quite heavier than a standard air blow gun. I wonder why you say not enough aggitation ? I could understand this with the brushless cone that the tool comes with, but with the brush add-on, I find it just as good if not better at aggitating than a standard interior brush. As for still needing compressed air, yeah, but don`t you need that with an air blow gun too ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information