Page 1 of 16 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It`s been a while since I`ve posted. My health has been bad (again) and my family time has overrode my posting time.

Here`s what`s going on....

My customers have changed. They have stopped calling. I have talked to a few and it`s simply a money issue. Things have went from prosperous to hazardous here. When the building dropped here in the mountains, everyone suffered. One out of three here are self-employeed ranging from builders, real estate agents and even fishing guides. When the out of towners stopped so did the cash flow.

So, I had to adapt. I noticed that the self serve drive through washes were staying busy. I talked to the owner of one and he said that most were taking his 10.00 package. This gave me an idea. I would offer a 25.00 exterior wash/spray wax package with tire shine. That`s it. A good wash, good protection, and no interior work.

I called, emailed, and text my clients with this package. At the end of day one I had 15 per day scheduled for 5 days totaling 75 for the week. My clients told friends and they told their friends. The whole time it was a money issue. Crazy thing is, I`m actually making more than before. Yeah it`s not the glorious swirl removing process I`m use to but come to find out, most don`t care about that as a whole.......here at least.......when money is tight.

This week I`ve actually offered a 15.00 package with no protection or tire shine. They are eating it up.

Once again, at the end of the day, it`s about the money when you do this for a living.

Thought I`d share. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box when you wanna keep your lights on, or gas in your truck.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven
    Great work. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box when you wanna keep your lights on, or gas in your truck.

John

Glad to see that the first response wasn`t calling me a hack now! LOL!

Thanks John.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear that you were able to change over to the current market and still make money.:hifive:
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it`s all about???

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4...1967 Ford Mustang Coupe...2001 Audi A4 1.8T

Post Thanks / Like
    I still have some full details coming in but to tell you the truth, it`s nice to not have start up a vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, you did you what you needed to do to stay in business. That is a noble cause. React/Adapt/Overcome

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s no shame in it. I even recently started doing details for a car shop and used car lot. Times are tight and measures have to be taken to survive this market. There`s no use in calling yourself or anyone a hack that just does simple detail work to get buy. To me, a hack is someone who holds their work in high esteem while putting holograms in cars at a premium price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrobbins
    To me, a hack is someone who holds their work in high esteem while putting holograms in cars at a premium price.

Never heard it put like that but I like it.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same story here in my area. Most of my clientele (including my family itself) are general contractors, and this area still is not doing well. I havent lowered prices, and I havent lost but a few customers, but I am not selling as many swirl removal packages, and I cant raise prices like I want to.
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I joined this forum I`ve always stressed that the real money in this business is made by doing voume work. No, it`s not aligned within the relm of Autopian thinking, but it isn`t meant to be. High end detailing probably accounts for less than 1% of the overall auto care industry. It`s very geographically dependent and is most likely the reason why many aren`t able to sustain a long term premium like others. Not sure if I`d call washing cars"detailing" but whataver inflates your ego above your shoulders to keep you pushing forward. Concentrate on growing your business and then hiring others to maintain it. The next smartest part of the success equation is empowering others to break their back instead of you.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    Glad to see that the first response wasn`t calling me a hack now! LOL!

Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by rcrobbins
    There`s no shame in it. I even recently started doing details for a car shop and used car lot. Times are tight and measures have to be taken to survive this market. There`s no use in calling yourself or anyone a hack that just does simple detail work to get buy. To me, a hack is someone who holds their work in high esteem while putting holograms in cars at a premium price.

Took the words right out of my mouth. If someone is going to charge my prices and finish the work in 3 hours, they`re a hack because I know they`re skipping things, not using polish correctly, etc. If you tell the client you`re doing a $15 wash, they expect a $15 wash, you get paid for a $15 wash... you`re not a hack. I`ve done some work for a local used car dealer and a "Full Detail" was a wash/no clay/1step exterior polish/quick spray wax/quick interior. Total time was usually around 3-3.5hrs and cost was $125-150. I still made close to what I want to make hourly, but I definitely didn`t give my all and the client didn`t expect it.

So no worries, you`re no hack, just do what you promise at the price that`s fair and you`re good to go.
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Since I joined this forum I`ve always stressed that the real money in this business is made by doing voume work. No, it`s not aligned within the relm of Autopian thinking, but it isn`t meant to be. High end detailing probably accounts for less than 1% of the overall auto care industry.

Yep, I`ve said it before too, no one is getting rich doing swirl removal, but there are quite a few carwash owners making some very good money. In a competitive economy, efficiencies in the market mean that volume is the only real way to get the big bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ve got to adapt to changing markets to survive. You`ve also positioned yourself to go right back to more details once the economy in your area improves since your customers know and trust you.

The big problem the last year in the Dallas area has been the horrible weather. Seems like we lose 3 out of 4 weekends a month due to rain and even snow( this winter). My Arizona detailing trip was one way to cope, if it continues, I might make a permanent move there. I haven`t really noticed much change here due to the economy but the weather has been a killer for too long now.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    You`ve got to adapt to changing markets to survive. You`ve also positioned yourself to go right back to more details once the economy in your area improves since your customers know and trust you.

The big problem the last year in the Dallas area has been the horrible weather. Seems like we lose 3 out of 4 weekends a month due to rain and even snow( this winter). My Arizona detailing trip was one way to cope, if it continues, I might make a permanent move there. I haven`t really noticed much change here due to the economy but the weather has been a killer for too long now.

As you know, the weather killed me here too and forced me to take that trip to Florida. The weather also put all the self employeed "outside" workers here behind as well.

I never thought about setting myself up for future details by doing this lower price....THANKS!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job adapting.

99% of people could care less about swirls or how their car looks from certain angles in certain lighting.

What they want is a consistently clean and vacuumed car. That`s were the most $ is.

Page 1 of 16 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information