Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_K
    Justin,

This is a hugely inspirational thread. After reading this (all pages) I have decided to take my website down and rethink the entire direction of how I want to grow my own mobile detailing business. I`m going to speak with my wife-to-be tonight (who is in support of me doing mobile detailing 24/7 and wants me to quit my day job ASAP) and make a decision on what to do. I love doing a full detail on a car, but I need to consider a sustainable business model, and IMO, this would be great anytime of the year. It also would play to some of my personal strengths as well.

Thanks for your open advice and counsel.

John

Man, so happy for you! Glad my experiences can help you move forward.

I just got home from power washing a house and two decks. I would not have had this job without my 20.00 wash & shine package. That`s how I picked up this new client. It`s the perfect item to get them as a customer and then offer them all your services. Just keep telling them what you do and get their address, email, and phone numbers. I send out a generic text to all my customers every 4 days asking if they need ANYTHING done. They love it.

Thanks again all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    Thanks man. Will love to hear more about your business venture!

Yeah......just a wash for 20.00. No dressing but they will get a rinse aid/spray wax.

How big are these buses? Still seems low for a bus!
    <p class="bbc_center">Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">(773) 715-4198</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">info@lustrdetail.com</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">www.LUSTRDetail.com
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    How big are these buses? Still seems low for a bus!

It would be a low price if I was doing just one or even 5. All 50 will be there at once plus I can use their water. Me and two others will have it done in 5-6 hours. Start at 6am and finish by noon. They will get 150.00 a piece and I will get the rest. That`s just for this summer. Once school starts back, I will be doing them over a month.....25 every two weeks....for the school year.

I want 3 more accounts like this. I then will have a base income to live by and know what`s coming in. I`ve never really experienced this doing full details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok......This has been the best thread ever for me.

I just wanted to say thanks to all that have spoke up and contributed.

Let`s keep it going.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be a low price if I was doing just one or even 5. All 50 will be there at once plus I can use their water. Me and two others will have it done in 5-6 hours. Start at 6am and finish by noon. They will get 150.00 a piece and I will get the rest. That`s just for this summer. Once school starts back, I will be doing them over a month.....25 every two weeks....for the school year.

I want 3 more accounts like this. I then will have a base income to live by and know what`s coming in. I`ve never really experienced this doing full details.

Understood. Keep it up man!
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>
    <p class="bbc_center">Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t question your business model simply because another person has success with their strategy. Every market is unique, and certain products will do better in different markets. In Justin`s case, his market was hit hard by the economic downturn. He seems to have adapted well by offering a lower price alternative. Lowering your prices lowers your margins though, which means you will have to do more volume and achieve economies of scale. Charging a premium for auto detailing services is possible in the right market. It does, however, take time to build a solid reputation and client base. Busy people with disposable incomes are willing to spend top dollar to have their prized automobiles maintained. Advertising to these types of individuals is not easy, and requires a trial and error marketing approach to see what works best. In the long run, I would rather build a business around these types of customers, rather than the type that only buys a $20 wash. In the end, it is important that you do what works for you in your own unique situation. IMO, Pulling down websites because of one thread is not a good idea, unless other issues warrant it.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    Don`t question your business model simply because another person has success with their strategy. Every market is unique, and certain products will do better in different markets. In Justin`s case, his market was hit hard by the economic downturn. He seems to have adapted well by offering a lower price alternative. Lowering your prices lowers your margins though, which means you will have to do more volume and achieve economies of scale. Charging a premium for auto detailing services is possible in the right market. It does, however, take time to build a solid reputation and client base. Busy people with disposable incomes are willing to spend top dollar to have their prized automobiles maintained. Advertising to these types of individuals is not easy, and requires a trial and error marketing approach to see what works best. In the long run, I would rather build a business around these types of customers, rather than the type that only buys a $20 wash. In the end, it is important that you do what works for you in your own unique situation. IMO, Pulling down websites because of one thread is not a good idea, unless other issues warrant it.

I agree. This is why I will hopefully soon have a successful business in each market, catering to both types of clients. Make drastic changes based on others` success isn`t the greatest idea, but then again drastic changes are many times very successful if business isn`t going great to begin with.
    Chicago, Illinois

Â`</p>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lecchilo
    I agree. This is why I will hopefully soon have a successful business in each market, catering to both types of clients. Make drastic changes based on others` success isn`t the greatest idea, but then again drastic changes are many times very successful if business isn`t going great to begin with.

There is definitely a market for both types of services. I think the key is finding the right balance between quality and price. In other words outstanding value as perceived by the customer. A drastic change would be warranted if you studied the issue closely. I just know from experience, when offering higher end detailing, it takes years to build a solid customer base. I do not do many multi-step $500 corrections, however, I target higher income individuals who are willing to pay a premium to have their car properly cared for.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with the last posts. Don`t change just because it worked for me but, if you have no business of it has dropped off by 50 percent, you do need to step back and take a look.

Is it the economy?

Is it my work?

Is it ME?

Lack of motivation can be one heck of a business killer. I know it personally. When you work for yourself, you can get lazy. Sometimes changing things up can boost your morale.

One other thing...

Just because I`m offering this lower priced package doesn`t mean I`m doesn`t mean I getting rid of my other services or taking down my website. It`s more of a bait and switch item. I hook them on what gets their attention and then offer ALL my other services. How many times have you went into a Wal Mart only to get milk and suddenly you have 85.00 in stuff at the checkout? Same thing here.

Just be opened minded to change and constant progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also when you talk about just catering and targeting certain clients, you have to look at some changes....

I see people I know of shopping and eating at places they never would have 4 years ago. This can be due to the economy or job change.......or even a sense of "what is important" and car care can be put to the wayside. Even from some of your best customers. A woman will give up a clean car for her hair. A man will give up a clean truck for fishing. I just had to made them not to be able to say no to me.

So just because you target the wealthy doesn`t mean you will always have them calling weekly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also when you talk about just catering and targeting certain clients, you have to look at some changes....

I see people I know of shopping and eating at places they never would have 4 years ago. This can be due to the economy or job change.......or even a sense of "what is important" and car care can be put to the wayside. Even from some of your best customers. A woman will give up a clean car for her hair. A man will give up a clean truck for fishing. I just had to made them not to be able to say no to me.

So just because you target the wealthy doesn`t mean you will always have them calling weekly.

No your right, but I get 80% of my business from 20% of my customers. Guess what, they are mostly the individuals who care about their cars, and have enough money to pay me a premium to have their cars properly detailed. I have seen some changes in the economic behavior here in Northern Virginia, however, it is mostly from the people who were living outside of their means in the first place. The main people I mentioned who are my target market, have not been effected much by the "economic downturn". Like I said, every market is different.
    Brad Will- Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005

I understand what you are coming at, but the location where I live there are no $200k cars, or even many $50k cars. Maybe the occasional $40k truck at best. I`m sure someone may have a gem in their garage, but I haven`t seen anything yet where I live.

Also, my business is in the infant stages as well. Meaning I don`t have a huge client list. On the contrary, it is very small. I`m sure you saw the other thread pretty much saying my website / business cards aren`t good, so if anything, this isn`t that big of a deal. When I say took it down, I temporarily removed the ability for people to see it. I`m needing to make changes anyways.

Thanks for your input. I value everyone`s insightful advice here! :wavey :2thumbs:

John

Post Thanks / Like
    wow Justin, i haven`t seen the thread for about a week or so and big things have hit. Congrats man. I`m glad that you got some work going.

How the heck did you get the school bus thing? That seems pretty neat. Though those things are huge that is a load of cash on a constant basis if you think about it.

Not bad for a days work

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec92civic
    wow Justin, i haven`t seen the thread for about a week or so and big things have hit. Congrats man. I`m glad that you got some work going.

How the heck did you get the school bus thing? That seems pretty neat. Though those things are huge that is a load of cash on a constant basis if you think about it.

Not bad for a days work

A school board member saw me doing a 25.00 wash and shine at out elementary school. He asked if I could do his and his wife`s for the same amount. I said yes. She works at the county`s bus garage as their secretary. When I was done with hers, she asked if I could give them a proposal for maintaining the buses. They liked and all of this is because of one, 20.00 wash.

See?

Here`s my theory on keeping busy.....

A 200.00 detail has produced me 1.5 customers on average (I know......a half is weird but it`s the average) and I`ve averaged about 3 a week when business was good giving me 4.5 new customers to TRY to close.

Now I`m doing 7, 25.00 washes per DAY and I`m getting 3 referrals out of the 7 plus house cleanings too. Do the math there. It`s exponential. More knowing of me and my business is priceless, even at only 25.00 per client.

Here`s what my repeat customer card looks like. I want everyone to think of me when they need a vehicle or house cleaned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_K
    I understand what you are coming at, but the location where I live there are no $200k cars, or even many $50k cars. Maybe the occasional $40k truck at best. I`m sure someone may have a gem in their garage, but I haven`t seen anything yet where I live.

Also, my business is in the infant stages as well. Meaning I don`t have a huge client list. On the contrary, it is very small. I`m sure you saw the other thread pretty much saying my website / business cards aren`t good, so if anything, this isn`t that big of a deal. When I say took it down, I temporarily removed the ability for people to see it. I`m needing to make changes anyways.

Thanks for your input. I value everyone`s insightful advice here! :wavey :2thumbs:

John

10 years ago the average vehicle had to be around 10k here. 6 years ago the building boom hit and everyone became a real estate agent and had a Tahoe or Escalade. That`s when I started up. I`d do 4 to 6 agents vehicles a day and they`d just write it off. Then the boom busted. Everyone is poorer than before with bad credit but still want things to be clean. I had to adapt or get an hourly job. Can`t do that now......to used to working for myself and I love my work.

Fleet work is not glorious but neither is sitting at home doing nothing.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information