Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent job adapting !
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Since I joined this forum I`ve always stressed that the real money in this business is made by doing voume work. No, it`s not aligned within the relm of Autopian thinking, but it isn`t meant to be. High end detailing probably accounts for less than 1% of the overall auto care industry. It`s very geographically dependent and is most likely the reason why many aren`t able to sustain a long term premium like others. Not sure if I`d call washing cars"detailing" but whataver inflates your ego above your shoulders to keep you pushing forward. Concentrate on growing your business and then hiring others to maintain it. The next smartest part of the success equation is empowering others to break their back instead of you.

take this advice!!!!

I am doing just that! I am detailing the cars, getting them in tip top condition. I am now pushing my maintanence program on everyone i come across after paint correction. At a certain point, I will HAVE to hire some help. I will train that person for about 6-9 months day in and day out. Then hire another person as the program grows and end up with two employees doing all the maintanence work, while I focus on the correction work still. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    take this advice!!!!

I am doing just that! I am detailing the cars, getting them in tip top condition. I am now pushing my maintanence program on everyone i come across after paint correction. At a certain point, I will HAVE to hire some help. I will train that person for about 6-9 months day in and day out. Then hire another person as the program grows and end up with two employees doing all the maintanence work, while I focus on the correction work still. :2thumbs:

unfortunately, in this business, as soon as you train some one, they will split and take some of your business with them. i have seen it happen too many times. as soon as some one sees the money you make for the work they do, its over if they have half a brain

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by advs1
    unfortunately, in this business, as soon as you train some one, they will split and take some of your business with them. i have seen it happen too many times. as soon as some one sees the money you make for the work they do, its over if they have half a brain

This is not true in the small town I`m in. At least I think so!

Since I`ve started detailing for a living (5 years ago), 5 others have come and went. They all started up at least a year after me so I had my business out in the public but it`s the job I do and reputation I have built up. I`ve had so many customers call me and tell me so and so left a flyer and then they would ask "when you coming by?".

I will eventually have to hire someone or stagnate. I`ve scheduled another 20 since I`ve posted this thread. 90 percent of these new customers want me to come by weekly. Some are even wanting to pre pay monthly.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s good to hear Justin, hope it all works well for you!
    -Sam

Serving Northern California (East Bay) from

San Francisco, Berkeley, to San Jose.

Post Thanks / Like
    keep up the good work justin.. the econamy is tough. but as a business owner myself .we have to ride it out. it will get better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear the economy is depressed in your area. Luckily, here in the DC area, we have been more fortunate. It is smart to offer what people want, and are willing to pay for. I would resist, however, the temptation to go lower than you already have (you mentioned $15 washes). A car wash can charge such low prices because they take advantage of economies of scale using their efficiencies. Unless you are operating with a team of guys who can wash a car in 5 minutes, going too low would be a bad idea. Of course you do what you have to do to stay in business, but don`t devalue your time.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by advs1
    Maybe in the mobile world, but in the fixed shop world, good luck. It`s not easy starting a fixed business. You need to have a good chunk of capital, good location, successful marketing techniques, and of course the ability to detail properly. Not to mention it`s always a good idea to have some cash on the side, in case your first few months you don`t even make enough revenue to pay the lease / mortgage. I`ve seen lots of employees come and go, and not a single one of them went into detailing for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    This is not true in the small town I`m in. At least I think so!

Since I`ve started detailing for a living (5 years ago), 5 others have come and went. They all started up at least a year after me so I had my business out in the public but it`s the job I do and reputation I have built up. I`ve had so many customers call me and tell me so and so left a flyer and then they would ask "when you coming by?".

I will eventually have to hire someone or stagnate. I`ve scheduled another 20 since I`ve posted this thread. 90 percent of these new customers want me to come by weekly. Some are even wanting to pre pay monthly.

Thanks to all of you for your support.
    Sounds like you`re doing really good ! You might find that you`re making a ton more cash doing this vs one-vehicle-per-day type of thing. Congrats on keeping your head above water in tough times !
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Murphy,

Good job changing with the times, these days a half of a loaf of bread is better then a slice. In time we will have a full loafs again. This seems to be happening everywhere.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know I started this out talking about how bad the economy is here but it being bad has actually increased my profits.

Today I did 13 at 20.00 (260.00) and 1 mini detail at 75.00 totaling 335.00. There were two of us and it took us at total of 5 hours including drive time......several were at one location....this is a huge key to this working. I paid my help 60.00....it was my brother inlaw. Not a bad days work and I feel great. No vacuuming or windows to clean. No buffer ran. Before, I was trying to to hit 150.00 a day average to just get by. Crazy huh?

Now I just have to fine tune what products to use.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Conventional washing or using ONR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    I know I started this out talking about how bad the economy is here but it being bad has actually increased my profits.

Today I did 13 at 20.00 (260.00) and 1 mini detail at 75.00 totaling 335.00. There were two of us and it took us at total of 5 hours including drive time......several were at one location....this is a huge key to this working. I paid my help 60.00....it was my brother inlaw. Not a bad days work and I feel great. No vacuuming or windows to clean. No buffer ran. Before, I was trying to to hit 150.00 a day average to just get by. Crazy huh?

Now I just have to fine tune what products to use.

Any suggestions?

Just a quick calculation.....

Sales: $335

-$60 helper

-Business Insurance

-Chemicals

-Self Employment Tax

-Car Payment

-Gas

-Car Insurance

-Cell Phone

What`s left over?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    If he is averaging $275 per day for a year after paying a guy $60/day and if he keeps $100 per day for himself he`s got about $3791.66 per month left over for business expenses you had listed. I think it can be done.

For what it`s worth I hope he is not set up as a sole proprietor. If you make a living off this you might want to consider setting up an llc. or S corp or something. That avoids the self employment tax because then you are an employee of your company. Talk to a CPA and an Attorney. They can help. There could be some tax advantages you are missing out on. Along with the separation of liability.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    id love to start up a detailing buss. but id have to turn large numbers in order to survive..in my area anyway.. very expensive to live.. and every ones cheap...keep up the great work justin!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Just a quick calculation.....

Sales: $335

-$60 helper

-Business Insurance

-Chemicals

-Self Employment Tax

-Car Payment

-Gas

-Car Insurance

-Cell Phone

What`s left over?

true.u need to fiqure out what ur daily exspensives are just toturn the key in ur truck everyday..

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread Information