Post Thanks / Like
    This is a question for other mobile operators.... what type of problems have you had with neighbors while working on clients vehicles` at their home?

Today I was working in a shared driveway. I was working on my client`s car in their portion of the shared driveway. The neighbor came home about 1 hour into the detail and just about ran me over and crashed into my client`s car. The neighbor then proceeds to get out his car and start yelling at me about how I`m too far over into his side of the driveway and he threatens me and tells me that if he has to back out of his car port he WILL run over me and back into my clients car. I told him good, at least we`ll know who to send the repair bill to. He had about 15 feet clearance.

Last week I was working in a condo association where two neighbors garages were side-by-side. The neighbor had their car parked outside their garage. I was working on my clients car in their portion of the driveway. The wind was gusting about 15-20MPH. The neighbor`s car wasn`t special, rare or even clean. You could tell it hadn`t even been cleaned in like a year. Well, I start washing the car and out of nowhere the neighbor comes out screaming at me that I`m getting water on his car! I told him that its just water and and pointed the rain water that was still on his roof from last night! He calmed down and left, but I saw him peeking out his window every 5 minutes watching me.

What are your stories?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven`t had an issue so far.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately, you are going to run into people like that sometimes. i`m sure if you were working on their cars it wouldn`t be a problem (sometimes it`s jealousy)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Never had a problem so far, just give him a quick car wash and a spray wax to make him happy. But I wouldn`t do it every time you detail your client`s car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only problem I`ve had is a customer`s neighbor who complained to their condo`s HOA that she "doesn`t like seeing that type of work being done" so I now I have to keep his car in the garage.

Otherwise it is neighbors coming over to get my business card.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t get anything on anybodies car!! It isnt for you to decide how clean they keep it or how much water it is OK to get on it. As far as right of way... go way out of your way to allow people plenty of room. Even if you think a car can squeeze by easy.

We never detail near anybodies car. We allow tons of room for people to get around. We always video tape the car we are about to detail as well as the surrounding area to include cars nearby to cover me arse.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s interesting to hear these stories, as us fixed shops don`t really get to experience anything like it !
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar concern. I`m just an enthusiast, but I work on my cars or friends cars in my garage with a PC. I shut the garage door of course, but it does seem to get pretty loud. We live in this fairly dense townhome community. My wife is really concerned that I`m pissing off the neighbors, although nobody has said anything yet.

Is this even a concern, i mean maybe the PC`s noise doesn`t really carry as we presume it does? Any tips on making it quieter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WAS
    It`s interesting to hear these stories, as us fixed shops don`t really get to experience anything like it !

Your missing out on all the fun. :getdown
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Gleam Master Detailing Streetlife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Superior__Shine
    Don`t get anything on anybodies car!! It isnt for you to decide how clean they keep it or how much water it is OK to get on it. As far as right of way... go way out of your way to allow people plenty of room. Even if you think a car can squeeze by easy.

We never detail near anybodies car. We allow tons of room for people to get around. We always video tape the car we are about to detail as well as the surrounding area to include cars nearby to cover me arse.

Good idea, CYA.

Post Thanks / Like
    The more neighbors, the better. Yes, some might be annoyed, but most are potential customers. If they approach you, ask if you could look at their car quickly. Point out some serious problems on the car (interior stains, clearcoat scratches, water spots) that you can fix and describe how you can fix them (be technical). Give them a price and your next availability.

Make the most of EVERY lead.

Thread Information