Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    in all my years, I have never had a customer try to send me a 1099 for detailing services.

am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    They will if they are trying to deduct the services as an expense. Its my understanding that its only for over 600$ in total services?

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    If you detailed his personal vehicle, sounds like he`s trying to deduct it as a business expense. Doesn`t sound kosher to me.

LL

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, they are just deducting it when they do their taxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it from a dealership or a regular customer for there personal car? If its a regular customer then like stated above they must be trying to right it off as an expense to there business or its a car paid for by his employer and he might be trying to have his emplyoyer pay for theupkeep of the car. Either way it sux and if you oblige you`ll be paying taxes so charge them for tax as well. Or ask him whats its for and see if he`ll take a receipt instead.
    Mike
    M.R. Detail Shop
    Long Island, NY

Post Thanks / Like
    he has a collection, so over the past 5 or 6 months, I have probably done ~2000 dollars of work for him, but it was my understanding that this was work on the side because he didnt want to pay for a shop to do it.

im sure hes trying to write it off because his wife always paid me with a company check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_c5
    he has a collection, so over the past 5 or 6 months, I have probably done ~2000 dollars of work for him, but it was my understanding that this was work on the side because he didnt want to pay for a shop to do it.

im sure hes trying to write it off because his wife always paid me with a company check.

Yeah a business has to file a 1099 for every contractor that they pay. So if they wrote it on a company check that`s what they need to do.

A buddy of mine owns an office cleaning business and all of his workers are hired as contract workers so he just has to file a 1099 for each employee I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work for the Internal Revenue doing audits and many people try to claim this as an EBE employee business expense. Only say if he owed a funeral home and had to have the hearse and limos cleaned for funerals would be a deductible expense but for any personal use vehicle used for personal use is not deductible.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just researching and he didnt ask me to fill out a w9, if he would have, I probably would have passed on the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish528
    I work for the Internal Revenue doing audits and many people try to claim this as an EBE employee business expense. Only say if he owed a funeral home and had to have the hearse and limos cleaned for funerals would be a deductible expense but for any personal use vehicle used for personal use is not deductible.

he owns a building maintenance company, so im pretty sure his muscle car collection doesn`t fit into that.

Post Thanks / Like

As a tax accountant I can also verify that this is true. Personal vehicle = personal expense and not deductible.
    :waxing: still learning...

Post Thanks / Like
    im not gonna worry about it, without a SSN or TID, he really cant do too much

Post Thanks / Like

I have some client that are real estate brokers and deduct detailing as a business expense to taking clients around, you`re saying this can`t happen? So if the vehicle is for company use, its okay?

So keeping my car cleaned for my detailing business I cannot deduct product used? I know I cannot deduct my actual rate.
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    whats the problem with that? you guys all pay your taxes right? lol. i was suprised how much more money i started making when i acted like a business, and paid my taxes. plus you can deduct all your chemicals and tools anyways.
    mobile auto detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols
    I have some client that are real estate brokers and deduct detailing as a business expense to taking clients around, you`re saying this can`t happen? So if the vehicle is for company use, its okay?

So keeping my car cleaned for my detailing business I cannot deduct product used? I know I cannot deduct my actual rate.

if the client is using his/her own vehicle and has it detailed for appearance in order to take clients to look at houses he/she can only have this expense deducted if it is on his/her employer`s reimbursement policy stating that having a detailed car for clients is required as a condition of employment. And if it is on the reimbursement policy then it must state if this expense is reimbursed or not then if not he/she can claim the expense.

For you you can claim your miles that you travel for your business and any upkeep that goes along with that like oil changes, inspections car washes so you will be able to deduct the detailing supplies because it is required for the type of work that you do. Any ordinary and necessary expense can be deducted As long as you are a credited business meaning having a business license.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information