Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_c5
    I was just researching and he didnt ask me to fill out a w9, if he would have, I probably would have passed on the work.

I`m not following the logic of this. Do you charge such a low rate that you can`t afford to pay taxes on your extra income? I can see you not wanting to pay taxes, I just don`t get why you would pass on the job if you had to pay taxes, or if you`re really anti-tax, asking to be paid more for the job to make up for it.

im not gonna worry about it, without a SSN or TID, he really cant do too much

Likely he`s not going to let it go, if he`s got $2000 in company expenses that he has to justify. I hope you don`t lose the customer.

Post Thanks / Like
    An organized business, meaning one that is incorporated, SubS, LLC, whatever, always files a W9, and that eliminates the need for a 1099 being issued.

The IRS doesn`t need your SSN. He will report you as the payee, including your name, address and zip code. They will find you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped trying to do this as a side business when my son was born 2 years ago. this was the only job that I took this year.

my income already puts me in the highest tax bracket, so if I were to take the job a job and pay the taxes on it as a real business, it would cost 30-40 percent more. i was trying to do the guy a favor and not charge him the 50-60 dollars an hour for paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just researching and he didnt ask me to fill out a w9, if he would have, I probably would have passed on the work.

I`ve got a few W-9s on file with companies I`ve done detailing for but don`t think I`ve gone over $600 in a calender year with any of them. They have me fill them out "just in case". Never had anyone do that with a privately owned vehicle, even if they pay with company checks.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Likely he`s not going to let it go, if he`s got $2000 in company expenses that he has to justify. I hope you don`t lose the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfire
    The IRS doesn`t need your SSN. He will report you as the payee, including your name, address and zip code. They will find you.

Agreed and agreed.

I`m with Scott on this too. I get a half dozen or more each year and even send a few out myself- just a pitfall of running a legitimate business. It shouldn`t be too difficult for you to find an equal amount of business expenses of your own, with the right tax representative. They are worth their weight....
    -Andrew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information