Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I get older cars (15-20 years) sent to me and they can often times have heavily oxidized nearly shot clear coats. If the clear coat is really gone, then I turn them down and set them up with a body shop. Normally the cars aren`t worth much and the owner pleads with me to `give it soooooome gloss.... whatever you can do will be great!`. I use D151 on them, but often times that doesn`t quite cut it. The stuff just isn`t thick enough and quickly absorbs into the paintwork, creating a time consuming mess of blotchiness and swirls.

Any ideas on thick products that work well with thin/nearly shot clear coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually a heavy paste wax will make it look better--for a couple of days.

Post Thanks / Like
    105 and 205...buzz through it all with 105 and an orange pad, then switch to 205 on a polishing pad. If may not be as bad as you think. You can give it one last go and tell them next step is a repaint or a lot of glazing!

I just did that to a mercedes and the results were amazing!

"dude, you turned him into a believer" (regarding what detailing could do)

Post Thanks / Like
    Its got to be a one-step product solution. This type of customer can`t afford 2 step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Then just use 105. I kind of read your first post that the clear was already shot, and polishing would make it worse, while toyotaguy read it that you needed something more aggressive to cut through the oxidation (and that the oxidation was soaking up your product). Kind of hard to tell without seeing what you are seeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    or sand it all off and remove the clear altogether!

basically saying, there is no simple ONE step here...its going to take some effort to remove the oxidation, then cut the wool marks, then polish to restore luster...

is it worth it??? (monetarily-wise)

Post Thanks / Like
    ColorX. Anytime I`ve done a one-step on a faded, dull clear coat I and used ColorX (by hand!) I`ve been extremely happy. Maybe try something with more polishing oils like M80?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Then just use 105. I kind of read your first post that the clear was already shot, and polishing would make it worse, while toyotaguy read it that you needed something more aggressive to cut through the oxidation (and that the oxidation was soaking up your product). Kind of hard to tell without seeing what you are seeing.

M105 is the exact opposite of what I`m looking for. It dries into the clear coat even on good vehicles within a couple seconds. Plus, even it did work, it is too expensive to use on a $100 exterior only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCutlass
    ColorX. Anytime I`ve done a one-step on a faded, dull clear coat I and used ColorX (by hand!) I`ve been extremely happy. Maybe try something with more polishing oils like M80?

Does ColorX really work that well? I have never used it. Does it `soak` into the surface real fast?

Post Thanks / Like
    you mis-judged this paint and this work. There is no way you are going to COVER it up with M80 or colorX.

If you want to restore the luster from this car, you need to remove the oxidation. If it is in fact clearcoat failure, you are wasting your time altogether because it needs a repaint, not a one step detail!

105, 205, glaze, wax and you are done!

colorX or 151 and you are just putting a bandaid on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mini1
    M105 is the exact opposite of what I`m looking for. It dries into the clear coat even on good vehicles within a couple seconds. Plus, even it did work, it is too expensive to use on a $100 exterior only.

If a customer wants a miracle (dull paint to shiny) for $100, turn the job away.

One of the most important skills of going pro is learning what jobs to decline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mini1

And it might be aggressive enough to kill off the remaining clearcoat.

The Color-X might not be a bad idea. IMO you need a lot of chemical cleaning to remove the oxidation while not taking off a lot of clear. Wonder how Color-X on a somewhat aggressive pad (green Cyclo 4", Tangerine LC HydroTech, something like that) would work :think:

And yeah, either paste wax or Collinite 845. I`ve had some near-dead paintjobs that were just too pitted/cracked/etc. for paste wax to be a good idea (my `93 Audi is a huge PIA to use paste on for that reason).

Post Thanks / Like
    ehh idk about 845 i had a hell of a time buffing it off a couple times.

id just glaze it up and top with a wowa sealant or something if you dont wanna spend time or products on it. chemical cleaners can help it look less chalky too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynick808
    ehh idk about 845 i had a hell of a time buffing it off a couple times..

Yeah, some other people have posted that too :think: Odd that the stuff`s always Accumulator-proof for me... maybe I`d better watch it lest I somehow jinx things for myself!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    you mis-judged this paint and this work. There is no way you are going to COVER it up with M80 or colorX.

If you want to restore the luster from this car, you need to remove the oxidation. If it is in fact clearcoat failure, you are wasting your time altogether because it needs a repaint, not a one step detail!

105, 205, glaze, wax and you are done!

colorX or 151 and you are just putting a bandaid on it!

Often times these are customers with connections to other cars (that are in good shape) and I`m not in a position to turn them down. I do just need a band aid in this case, because often times we are talking about cars that are only worth a couple $1000. A paint job would exceed the value of the car, and so would an extensive detail job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information