Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Wonder if you`d be happier with an AirWand setup :think: I sure do like that thing, but then I`m unable to do the sheeting rinse technique so I appreciate any safe method of getting most of the water off.

Are AirWands expensive? You have got me tempted now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    Are AirWands expensive?

Beats me :nixweiss Whatever it cost me, I`ve forgotten. Guess that either means I am/was just loose with a buck or else it was money well-spent.

A quick look at The New Air Wand says the complete system is ~$100, ~$50 if you already have a blower it`ll fit on and only need the hose and nozzle.

Note that it only works well on well-LSPed finishes where the water is prone to blowing off/around easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Tailor
    I think I am with Accumulator on not using a compressor on an interior. I`ve been doing interiors for 12 years without one and I would hate to blow stuff out of nooks and risk it going somewhere else. I have 2 Vac N Blo`s by Metro and I find it does a terric job at both. I don`t feels any slower than anyone else and don`t feel like I would be faster with a Comp. I guess its just what you`ve been used to, what you prefer, or what you want. I thought about getting a COmp at one time, but I have found that I haven`t missed a beat without one and I don`t think I`ll be getting one for my shop. When I get my trailer built up by the end of the year, I think I`ll get one, but probably more for airing up and running some tools. Just my opinion for me.

Mind if I ask how you guys remove all the debris out from under the seats, seams of all the seats, between the seats and center console, dead bugs wedged between the back glass and rear shelf if you are not using some form of air?

Just a few must have uses for air IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    You`re better off with a blower, will be cheaper. An open blowgun takes about 10HP to feed with compressed air, that is a 5.5HP gas engine, with a small receiver. Maybe it will keep up with what you are doing, maybe not. Is it worth $400 to find out? You could get an electric blower for half that, or a leaf blower for 1/8, or one of those hand blowers for even less.

I agree with Setec. I have a generator because I am mobile. I bought a 6 gal.

Pancake Compressor for my garage,for tires and a couple air tools. If you can find a air hose at a station or store they are $.75. I use the compressor to also blow off dash boards and nooks and crannies. But to dry a car I`d rather have a blower. Faster and cheaper.I have an electric one from Home Depot. Fairly cheap,and it runs off the Powermate. I would prefere a gas one so you don`t have to be bothered with a cord.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WAS
    Ummmmmmm, you run the customer`s car for 30+ min ? Idling ? There`s a couple issues with this...

- Many municipalities have anti-idle bylaws. Even if yours does, what are the chances of getting caught ? Probably miniscule, but none the less, it would be illegal.

- What happens when the customer notices that their fuel level is lower (depending how cold it is outside, or how "untuned" their engine is, it could be a significant amount of gas spent) when they pick up their vehicle ?

- What happens to the excess carbon you build up as a result of letting it idle for 30+ min ?

- Some folks, like me, are very particular with time / usage sensitive maintenance, such as oil changes. Idling the vehicle 30+ min expends oil life, so how do you communicate to the customer that they now need an oil change in 1500 miles instead of 1700 miles ?

- Many people are environmentally conscious these days, how do you explain to them the amount of CO2 gases you just released to dry their interior ?

Sorry if I come off sounding like an ***, but I would be supremely mad if a detail shop idled my car for 30+ min just to dry the interior. As a professional in the industry, I would do this only as a VERY last resort, and I would make sure to let the customer know that it was done and why, and I would also discount the final invoice to account for fuel spent.

Fuel use is negligible. Add a few gallons of fuel if the fuel light comes on.

One other advantage to idling customers` cars: no dead batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1
    Mind if I ask how you guys remove all the debris out from under the seats, seams of all the seats, between the seats and center console, dead bugs wedged between the back glass and rear shelf if you are not using some form of air?

I use various regular sized and mini-sized hose attachments (including but not exclusively different sized crevice tools and tips with brushes), brushes, and towels. Combine with chop sticks, random MF bits, and swabs I guess. I do use a 4.0hp vacuum, but I have never used the blow function on the interior. I`ve never had a problem getting everything out.
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    I use various regular sized and mini-sized hose attachments (including but not exclusively different sized crevice tools and tips with brushes), brushes, and towels. Combine with chop sticks, random MF bits, and swabs I guess. I do use a 4.0hp vacuum, but I have never used the blow function on the interior. I`ve never had a problem getting everything out.

Rock on D. If you got a process that works that`s all that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    David I`m 10 minutes away. Give me 5 minutes of your time in my shop and Ill bet you a car wash I`ll change your mind on using a compressor for interiors!:chuckle: My wifes car could use a good washing. :woot:
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like

Please don`t take offense to this or feel I`m deminishing your ability/skill, but I`d be willing to bet that if I took compressed air to a completed detail of yours there would debris all over the place that didn`t get picked up with your methods. There`s really no way you can get into and flush/purge out tiny particles of debris in the cracks you can`t manually get to. If you have a compressor with the proper blow gun, please try it and see.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferbarry
    David I`m 10 minutes away. Give me 5 minutes of your time in my shop and Ill bet you a car wash I`ll change your mind on using a compressor for interiors!:chuckle: My wifes car could use a good washing. :woot:

:lol My Xterra could use a scrub too. Looks like a Win-Win proposition. I`m in!
    David Bibiloni

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Please don`t take offense to this or feel I`m deminishing your ability/skill, but I`d be willing to bet that if I took compressed air to a completed detail of yours there would debris all over the place that didn`t get picked up with your methods. There`s really no way you can get into and flush/purge out tiny particles of debris in the cracks you can`t manually get to. If you have a compressor with the proper blow gun, please try it and see.

I dont` have a compressor, but I`m always open to new ways of doing things...Come on up!

Seriously though, it`s not something I`m dismissing, but I have not really seen a need for it in the vehicles I`ve done and I`ve done some real beaters. But I`m not saying it`s a bad idea. I know that when I "blow dry" the crevices of the exterior I see all kinds of crap flying out from behind the various trim pieces and mouldings so I would think it to be the same. Maybe when I can plunk down some change on one I will, but right now, my business plan has me plunking down for other things.
    David Bibiloni

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Figures, I sold my Sears 30 gal 5 hp compressor cause I didn`t do lawn care anymore, and a few years later - bingo, need it! My wife is going to sh1t if I buy another. I`m thinking Craigs list or pawn shop now.

Post Thanks / Like
    .. I know that when I "blow dry" the crevices of the exterior I see all kinds of crap flying out from behind the various trim pieces and mouldings ...

Ah, I see I`m not the only one that happens to! No matter *how* thoroughly I wash there`s always some [stuff] that shows up when I do that, and I always worry that it`s abrasive. Makes for a lot of hassling around trying to clean it up without causing any marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you guys are really over analyizing the air compressor. Reminds me of the whole tire removal thread. Don`t make it more complicated than it is. It`s an air compressor and it blows out stuff you couldn`t normally reach any other way. A few simple precautions (like blowing into a waiting towel) will eleminate the concerns about "Crap blowing all over the place" To me and a lot of other detailers it`s a "must have" tool for a wide range of reasons. If however you`ve been succesful for any given amount of time without one that`s perfectly fine as well. However if you`re one of the few that just isn`t getting their details to that next level in this piticuler area then I would have no issues recommending looking into getting a compressor for the occasion.
    -Jake Bright Dynamics Auto Spa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferbarry

Sometime when I am traveling I may have to ask one of you guys if I can be an apprentice for an afternoon to pick up on some tips. While I think I am a pretty decent detailer I have no doubts there are several of you out there who have some methods and tricks which could make my work better and probably faster.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information