Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    2 totally different operations all together. You can`t suck or brush out the dirty build up in the body lines(cracks) of a center console or the tight seams in leather seats. Air purges out all the tiny cracks you can`t reach manually or with a vac. Headliners that can`t be brushed or wiped. Wetness that`s trapped within the arm rest of a door panel.

I see. Lately I have been just using a small brush that looks like at toothbrush but will longer bristles to get into such body lines or tight seems but I see how air could do the job faster and probably better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Only to an extent. Here`s a test. Take a section (say driver`s front compartment) and vacuum the dickens out of it until you think it`s as clean as it`s going to get. Then take the air compressor and blow out the carpet... vacuums only get so much. they are good for getting stuff off the surface. You want a real clean you need to extract and then blow out. I also take a foaming cleaner and foam up the seat tracks then blow them off into a waiting towel. What would take minutes with a standard wipe procedure now just took you a matter of 2 seconds to accomplish and you usually get better results (the air can physically reach more crud than your fingers can) Same with blowing out all the crevices. As long as you blow them into a waiting terry cloth towel they aren`t "going all over the place" it`s extreamly quick and extreamly effective.

That makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    So those of you that are blowing out the interiors with compressed air, what pressure are you using? Do you use a higher pressure for carpeting than you do for dash cracks? Different nozzle?

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep mine right around 90 psi and no I don`t switch nozzels or anything. I have a nice MAC air gun that suits all my needs.
    -Jake Bright Dynamics Auto Spa.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is another example of how different the typical situations can be for Pros vs., well....me. 99% of the time the interiors I`m cleaning up simply aren`t "dirty" in (what I suspect is) the normal sense.

Those examples of how air can be helpful for interiors reminded me of how I`ve extensively used steamers on some (very) used vehicles when I was doing the initial post-purchase reconditioning. I can see how the compressed air would be useful for jobs like those. Next time I`m doing a big cleanup of one of the dog-haulers I`ll be keeping a more open mind about the idea, might save me some time and effort..and might even give me better results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQDetailer
    Love your garage!!!

Are those T12s?

Thanks!

I think they may be T8`s but it`s been a few years since I put them up so they may very well be T12`s too.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    So those of you that are blowing out the interiors with compressed air, what pressure are you using? Do you use a higher pressure for carpeting than you do for dash cracks? Different nozzle?

I have an water/oil filter/regulater inline for painting and I believe it`s regulated at 90psi right now. The air trigger attachment I use lets you vary the amount of pressure that comes out based on how far you squeeze it....works great!

Post Thanks / Like
    what about using a compressor for detailing the dash and the interior of the cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by clubwash
    what about using a compressor for detailing the dash and the interior of the cars?

I have been laying down OPP via a HVLP detail gun + compressor with great results. The only problem is I`m using a lot more product than normal. It really lays down an even coat and if you are careful you don`t even need to wipe it down. If you want a more matte finish you can wipe it down though.
    Abralon Surfaced-Makita Powered-Club Flex Finished

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliran
    I will mainly use it for blowing and maybe in the future I will use air tools too.

For drying a car what would you consider a good receiver?

Yeah that one you linked to would be horrible for most air tools. Unless you are talking about an air stapler or nailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danase
    Yeah that one you linked to would be horrible for most air tools. Unless you are talking about an air stapler or nailer.

Not enough PSI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bert31
    Not enough PSI?

The PSI will be fine but what happens you you would not have the constant PSI you`d need to run the tool for more than a few seconds. Like if you wanted to use an air gun or grinder. I have a small 8 gallon 2hp tank and it does not handle things like grinders well. You have to constantly stop and wait for it to fill up so you can get the PSI needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I must say you need an air compressor for interiors. I would be lost with out it. Literally I wouldn`t clean an interior. I could only imagine how long it would take. I am with Mr. Fermani on this one. My compressor does not shut off at all the whole time I`m doing an interior. FOr drying I use my typhoon air nozzle and the waffle weave the rest. I do want to try a leaf blower though.
    Barry E. Theal
    Presidential Details Of Lancaster PA
    Founder of Americana Global Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I am with Accumulator on not using a compressor on an interior. I`ve been doing interiors for 12 years without one and I would hate to blow stuff out of nooks and risk it going somewhere else. I have 2 Vac N Blo`s by Metro and I find it does a terric job at both. I don`t feels any slower than anyone else and don`t feel like I would be faster with a Comp. I guess its just what you`ve been used to, what you prefer, or what you want. I thought about getting a COmp at one time, but I have found that I haven`t missed a beat without one and I don`t think I`ll be getting one for my shop. When I get my trailer built up by the end of the year, I think I`ll get one, but probably more for airing up and running some tools. Just my opinion for me.
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to mention...I`ve got a leaf blower and I bought it specifically for detailing. For me it`s better off as a leaf blower. Too loud, cumbersome, and inefficient for blowing a car dry or anthing else. the Vac N Blos are much better at this.
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D Tailor
    I think I am with Accumulator on not using a compressor on an interior. I`ve been doing interiors for 12 years without one and I would hate to blow stuff out of nooks and risk it going somewhere else..

Heh heh, and here I just started reconsidering my position!

FOR ME, this is a "well...maybe"/situational kind of thing. I can see how it`d be useful but I do still want to give thought to where that blown-away stuff ends up. So I`d at least try to catch it in a damp cloth or something if the situation allowed for that.

Also, I`d give thought to the amount of air pressure. More wouldn`t always be better and I sure don`t want to do any damage. I`d sure want to turn things down compared to what I use when blowing water out of nooks and crannies on the exterior!

...I`ve got a leaf blower and I bought it specifically for detailing. For me it`s better off as a leaf blower. Too loud, cumbersome, and inefficient for blowing a car dry

Wonder if you`d be happier with an AirWand setup :think: I sure do like that thing, but then I`m unable to do the sheeting rinse technique so I appreciate any safe method of getting most of the water off.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information