Post Thanks / Like
    How do you guys get the word out and about that your work is far superior to someone elses? There a lot of hack shops around here that call a wash with a brush and drying the car off a detail. How do I convince the average joe that my work is much better?
    2002 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes time and a couple years to start to build a solid reputation, most guys will tell you this. You convince people 1 car at a time, with your work, not with lip service.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have given out over 2000 business cards/flyers and none of them have gotten me close to the business that word of mouth and my physical work has gotten me. But yes still you need to do some cold calling and leg work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you get established you will not need to do much marketing, your customers will do it for you. There really are not shortcuts.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you really know how to get a good result then:

Wear a uniform consisting of good waterproof shoes, long pants, a belt with no buckle, a pull over shirt - I suggest a polo style if you plan to work really high end - sun glasses - non-polarized so you can use the sun to see defects without burning your retinas and a hat. No rings, and if you wear a watch, one that won`t scratch the paint if it comes in contact. I have a titanium watch that`s smooth and then of course plastic watches.

When you go to work, be "at work." Move with intention and stay focused on the work.

If your customer is watching, explain what you`re doing and why. If someone else walks up and starts watching, do the same.

Be polite, look your customers in the eye, have confidence that you can and will do the job and that the money you`re asking for is fair - both to your customer and yourself.

If there`s something on the car you can`t fix - bring it up when the car is done - don`t let the customer find it. Tell them what it is, and why you couldn`t get it. Don`t let them think you just missed something.

When your client says, "You did a great job." or words to that effect, don`t say thank you. Say, "I`m glad you like my work. I hope you`ll tell people about me." or words to that effect. Don`t say thank you, wait till they refer someone then call them and thank them, give them something next time you do their car, a token of your appreciation for the referral.

When I start on someone`s car, I empty my right front pocket. Then, if I find some loose change, money, jewelry, etc. I put it in that pocket. When I`m done, I empty that pocket into their hands. Sometimes what I`ve found in their cars has paid for the detail tens of times. Also, empty the vacuum after every job and check it for valuables. Accidentally taking something isn`t functionally different from doing it on purpose.

If you do these things, then your work will be the issue. If your work is good you should be OK, if not, you`ll have to find a job.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    It is called marketing, and there are a lot of ways to do it. Of course you have to offer a great product that is of value to your customers.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    whytewizard has suggested very good points after you have secured the deal. I used to make some of the mistakes he mentioned and a change of tone will give customer a much better impression.

If you ain`t getting business yet then you got to first work on the marketing aspect. If you are in the process of convincing them, I suggest using visual aids instead of trying to talk them out a whole lot of technical stuff, many average joe will shows you that they know what ya talking about but in fact only interested in pricing and your capability and later the end results. Just make sure you deliver what you promised before hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard

If there`s something on the car you can`t fix - bring it up when the car is done - don`t let the customer find it. Tell them what it is, and why you couldn`t get it. Don`t let them think you just missed something.

The ideal time to bring that up is before you start on the car. You wait until you are done and the customer will think you are making excuses.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    been at this for 5 years now and this is the 2nd time where I have been booked consistently for weeks at a time with FULL day details...not just wash and wax simple stuff, but labor intensive paint correction work! 1st time where I have been at it for a month straight!

takes time to get things done! I have passed out about 5K cards, but the best tool is to go above and beyond the competition to get your name out! Dont beat them on price, but with service/results!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    The ideal time to bring that up is before you start on the car. You wait until you are done and the customer will think you are making excuses.

If it`s that obvious, sure, but I`m talking about things you might not see until you got a few layers down.

Robert

Thread Information