Of course for us the fun stuff happens on the outside of the car. Getting the paint gloss and the clarity just right, is partly why we all got into detailing. The fact still remains however that no matter how good the outside is, we all spend most of the time on the inside. I think it was Kevin from Kleen Car that put it best, “cleaning the inside of a car is just like house work”. Interiors can be tedious, but an interior detail has more of an overall impact to the customer’s senses and overall appreciation. It is the one area of the car that is constantly being appraised by the customer’s senses and is the area with the most emotional attachment. So doing the job correctly is paramount to a satisfied customer. (Note: I am not saying the outside of the car means nothing, but let us be realistic about where your customer spends their time driving the car.)

At the shop, the reality is that we get things that most detailers would probably shy away from; and rightfully so. We have gotten mold and mildew jobs where actual mushrooms were growing, to jobs were we found DEAD mice. Cleaning interiors with these types of problems require professional know-how, the proper safety clothing, and finally the right types of chemicals.

I stress the right type of chemicals (and application) because I am a little annoyed (although I like him alot) at my supplier trying to sell me an enzyme cleaner for something that you clearly need a disinfecting (antimicrobial) agent for.

Enzyme cleaners tend to be one of the most hyped up products as of late and are really being pushed as the new "GREEN" thing to do. In case you do not know, enzyme cleaners are cleaners that break "organic" soil down into simpler forms so that they can be removed. Enzyme cleaners IMO are great for cleaning stains and odor control from organic matter due to their ability to do this without using toxic chemicals. An enzyme’s ability to "eat protein based stains” sometimes gets confused with killing bacteria such as H1N1 or other types of germs or viruses. Since the function of enzyme cleaners tends to greatly overlap that of most APCs, we tend to put disinfecting (Antimicrobial) products into the same category.

In short for those that deal with interior details that may be a potential heath hazard, make sure that you are using the proper covering (Tyvex suits, N95 dust masks, Latex or Nitrile gloves), and most of all the right cleaner with a disinfecting (Antimicrobial) agent. So keep in mind as we do the interiors throughout this winter season with the spreading of H1N1 or other types of germs, STRAIGHT ENZYME CLEANERS DO NOT KILL GERMS.

In searching for a reference table on the subject I came across this useful link http://www.healthycleaning101.org/english/HCP_facts.html which explains many different types of household cleaners and there uses. Although this table explains what type of cleaners work on what types of stains, one must also be cognizant of the possible reaction from the type of surface they are trying to clean. For example you would not use a bleach type mildew remover to clean a mildew stain from the carpet of a vehicle (It is pretty apparent what the end result will be).

Notes on some Antimicrobial Cleaning Products

Microban makes the commercial industry standard antimicrobial agent. Lysol All Purpose Cleaner (not the can) is also an underrated consumer antimicrobial cleaner. I am not sure about any “detailer specific” products that fit this purpose. I examined the MDSD sheet for Meguiar’s APC and it does not seem to show any antimicrobial agents within its formulation. Antimicrobial cleaners require a “WET” dwell time of 10 mins. in order to properly disinfect.

In the case of Mold and Mildew removal a new technology similar to ONR (encapsulation) is actually catching on as an alternative to hazardous mold remediation process from yesteryear. Maybe DR. G can invent an antimicrobial encapsulation product for cars.