Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: $$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    What are you using on those softer paints? That black 550 was a PITA and I`ve got a similarly hologrammed jet black 335 coming up. First time in a long time I couldn`t get #205 to finish hologram free.

Ya, those jb 335`s are a nightmare. What I use depends on what I start with. If it`s light correction and I can get away with something like 105/white then I can normally finish with FP/black, but that`s super rare. Normally it`s more like 105/pfw or orange, 205/white, FP/black or blue. I don`t bother with 106ff on those paints since it fills like crazy and you end up going back anyway. Ultrafina would probably work in place of FP.

Edit: LC pads, btw.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 15951
    When I see these "$40/min an hour" threads, I think about the click and brags that claim they put 18+ hours into paint correction. NO WAY is the owner of a Honda Accord paying $800 for paint polishing.

I think the pay rate should be reflective of experience/value, just as it is in most professional service organizations. If you`re just starting out and not as efficient (or good!) as an experienced pro, you`re simply ripping people off if you`re trying to charge $40/hour. If you`ve been a pro for awhile and have the knowledge, skills and ability to bust *** and get the job done quickly without compromising quality, then $40 is reasonable.

From the consumers` perspective, you have to make sure you`re not overvaluing yourself out of the market. Detailing is still a luxury item for most people, and I think 90% of your customers can`t tell the difference between Turtle Wax and Zaino. Accordingly, I would save the boutique products for those that actually care about that sort of thing.

Just my $0.02 - I`m not a pro, but I watch this forum with interest because the concepts apply to most any professional services discussion.

After reading your message,I just wanted to comment!

I try not to compare myself to another detailer,if possible. I have been detailing since I was 14 years old. I started my business 7 years ago,and I learn something everytime I do another detail. I have client`s on both ends of the market. Some who just want the vehicle washed,waxed and interior vacumed and shampoo. Others who want the works,full corrections,clay bar,scratches removed,odors removed,seating repaired etc. Since I`m mobile only,I think I charge a fair price for my services. I have invested time,and money for training,also on some of the best equipment and products. There are no corners to cut in detailing. The only option is to use the best processes,equipment,and products. Try to decrease the amount of time spent on a vehicle,without compromising quality of work. Continueously try to do Outstanding work,and above all Please the customer. Stand by your work!

Just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    ALL of my correction work has been done via either my old PC 7424 or my new Griot`s Garage DA...I will agree it takes a while, but I dont` have to tape much of anything up either. I`m not even using M105/205 yet. I use Meg`s Diamond Cut 2.0 and Optimum polishes and compounds for my results.

Click the link to see just a FEW of the cars I`ve done and you`ll see the correction abilities of a PC. None of the cars, except the Land Rover, took more than 15 hours.

HubGarage.com - O.C.Detailing (Adam) Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Picus
    I don`t bother with 106ff on those paints since it fills like crazy and you end up going back anyway.

:woot:Brings back memories of the old days.:woohoo:

:har::har::har::har:
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    :woot:Brings back memories of the old days.:woohoo:

:har::har::har::har:

I know, right? :p
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information