Thread: 3 coats of wax?

Post Thanks / Like
    I seen this guy today on CL advertising "ONLY DETAILER IN THE STATE OF FL DOING 3 COATS OF MEGUIAR’S WAXES / POLISHES ON EVERY CAR (NOT LIKE MY COMPETITORS)"

This sounds like overkill, but I`m still new at this.

Is this really necessary?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can add another coat of *wax* after your next wash to provide even/continuous coverage, but adding a second or third coat of wax in the same day can lead to holograms or what looks like swirls. This is common especially in oily waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, trying to "layer" waxes can be tricky. But there *is* spit-shining....

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I`ve seen on DW, it would appear that a 3rd coat actually lessens the over all thickness of wax on the surface...

Post Thanks / Like
    I do 100, I am the only one to do that..LOL

I think its overkill, one sealant and one carnuba should be more than enough!

I think that guy is referring to something like the 3 step process from megs...one cleaner wax, one polish, one wax. Problem is, most people, including him, see polish and wax as one in the same.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, yea, well those Zaino fanatics will do 50layers, lol.

I remember several years ago when Zaino aws all the rage, there`d be people on a mustang board I frequent who would spend an entire month waxing their car - 30+ layers! Lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard you can apply up to three, but threes pushing it, I applied one coat of Nxt 2.0 to my vette, I`m going to apply another layer tomorrow night, maybe it`ll work, I believe if you wait 24 hours an add another layer it should be fine.
    United States Air Force

Missile Maintenance Technician

Barksdale AFB

2005 SS Silverado

2011 Honda Fury

Post Thanks / Like
    nope, NXT has cleaners in it...part of the 1st layer will be removed = no point but wasted time!!!!

I dont get layering...I mean you spend 12 hours apart to wax and remove part of the first layer to build 1.5 layers. Then you spend more time applying the next layer which will remove the .25 - .5 layer of the previous layer so you still only have 2 layers at most! i would rather polish and wax to keep the desired look rather than waste my time for minimal results....

and I dont get the "oh just wax it" crowd...EVERYONE knows that polishing is the way to a better shine, NOT WAXING, so no matter how many layers of wax your ride has, my car with no wax, but polished, will look better one month down the road, so get over your wax fascination!!!! :buffing::buffing::buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    nope, NXT has cleaners in it...part of the 1st layer will be removed = no point but wasted time!!!!

I dont get layering...I mean you spend 12 hours apart to wax and remove part of the first layer to build 1.5 layers. Then you spend more time applying the next layer which will remove the .25 - .5 layer of the previous layer so you still only have 2 layers at most! i would rather polish and wax to keep the desired look rather than waste my time for minimal results....

and I dont get the "oh just wax it" crowd...EVERYONE knows that polishing is the way to a better shine, NOT WAXING, so no matter how many layers of wax your ride has, my car with no wax, but polished, will look better one month down the road, so get over your wax fascination!!!! :buffing::buffing::buffing:

...and finally someone is doing testing that shows this. :2thumbs:

Thickness of wax layers? - Detailing World

Wax and Sealant thicknesses - Detailing World

Post Thanks / Like
    RaskyR1- Thanks for posting those very interesting, and informative links!

I wonder how much application technique can factor in :think: I`ve never used 915. With the (perhaps similar) 476S, application methods make a *huge* difference as merely "rewaxing" results in an obvious solvent-action.

I`ll be interested in any updates involving products that I *know* layer for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    RaskyR1- Thanks for posting those very interesting, and informative links!

I wonder how much application technique can factor in :think: I`ve never used 915. With the (perhaps similar) 476S, application methods make a *huge* difference as merely "rewaxing" results in an obvious solvent-action.

I`ll be interested in any updates involving products that I *know* layer for me.

I sure there will be other tests coming. In the second thread he tests Opti-Seal, which seems to show similar results and the pure waxes. I agree it would be nice to see Zaino Z2 or some other similar sealant in there. Either way, this seems to support the theory of diminishing returns.

Nice to see someone finally trying to put an end to the debate though. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Two thin layers for even coverage is optimal for me.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 311vibe
    IDOING 3 COATS OF MEGUIAR’S WAXES / POLISHES

My guess is he`s referring to the Meguiars Deep Crystal 3 Step Process ... not applying 3 coats of a wax.

Thread Information