Post Thanks / Like
    I see a lot of you guys doing 2-3 stage corrections in one day, including wheels, interior, and engine bays too. It takes me 2-4 hours per stage. How are you moving so fast? The polishes have to break down and finish, but am I breaking them down too long?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying you have a 2-4 hour work time per stage??? How do you not burn up the product? I don`t think you can even work UF that long. And as long as your customers like what you do in the time frame you do it there really isn`t a problem. everyone works at their own pace.

Post Thanks / Like
    a two step usually takes about 5-6 hours for me...a three step about 9 hours...4 hours compounding, 1.5 hours polishing, 1 hour final polishing, then all the little things like vacuuming, tires, wheels, dressing, windows, trim, wells, etc...this is for a small car by the way, a full size truck three step takes in the 12 hour range...

oh and if you are using optimum, that is your problem right there. On one hand its a good product to be used in the sun and via rotary, on the other hand, it royally sucks viz PC and in a garage as it takes WAY too long to break down via PC

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn`t take very long with my Makita, but I always work as much as I can in the time alotted. I like to do 2-3 stage polishing over 2 days, just so I feel like I`m not rushed. I`m also that kind of guy who will spend hours doing the tiniest things to a car that will never get noticed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar752
    Doesn`t take very long with my Makita, but I always work as much as I can in the time alotted. I like to do 2-3 stage polishing over 2 days, just so I feel like I`m not rushed. I`m also that kind of guy who will spend hours doing the tiniest things to a car that will never get noticed.

I`m with you on that. I use Menz and Megs for polishing/compounding. Makita and PC depending on the job. Anyone have a vid to show how quick you are using the rotary and/or PC. Sorry for the noob-like question. I`m experienced, but I just take a long time. Unless its a miata, I can`t do a 2 step in 1 day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    Are you saying you have a 2-4 hour work time per stage??? How do you not burn up the product? I don`t think you can even work UF that long. And as long as your customers like what you do in the time frame you do it there really isn`t a problem. everyone works at their own pace.

Yes. But I don`t have any UF. My schedule is the limitation here, if I can get a 2 step down to 1 day from 2 days, I can theoretically do twice as many cars. They are coming out exactly the way I want them, but I wonder if I`m spending 30sec-2min longer than necessary per panel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast908z
    Yes. But I don`t have any UF. My schedule is the limitation here, if I can get a 2 step down to 1 day from 2 days, I can theoretically do twice as many cars. They are coming out exactly the way I want them, but I wonder if I`m spending 30sec-2min longer than necessary per panel?

That really varies on the panel. You should be able to physically see the correction take place. Once it`s corrected you can move on. But sometimes you just have to take awhile to get the correction. Do you change your speeds during your passes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerooni
    That really varies on the panel. You should be able to physically see the correction take place. Once it`s corrected you can move on. But sometimes you just have to take awhile to get the correction. Do you change your speeds during your passes?

Each time I try to go faster, (usually with the PC) I don`t get as good of correction, sometimes looking like the polish wasn`t fully broken down. So I keep coming back to 2-4hrs/stage. No, pretty much stick with the same speed, though that speed is dependent on what kind of correction I`m doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can kick up the speed of the pad. (I still don`t really correct much with the PC so it could be a different process in the end) but keep your movements at a slower pace. And don`t forget to varation of pressure also makes a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    also, I would rather add more product to get more cut and remove defects rather than spend the extra 2 min trying to squeeze the last bit of cut from the original product application

Post Thanks / Like
    It just takes a long as it takes :nixweiss

Assuming you`re working the product for the correct amount of time, you simply have to repeat the process until you get the desired result, maybe once, maybe a dozen times.

If it`s taking longer than you`d like, *IMO* the answer is to get more aggressive. Usually, assuming it`s safe to do so; sometimes the *safe* way is to work slowly and incrementally and in those cases you`re stuck with using a lot of time and effort.

M105/wool is a pretty aggressive combo, no matter which machine you use it with. If *that* takes too long then you`re next step is getting into product combos that you have to use with real respect. And in some cases, the time-efficient answer is to wetsand for the initial (very serious) step and then just polish out the sanding marks.

But in all these cases I`d start to wonder about how much clear is being taken off and how much is gonna be left when you`re done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried speeding things up a bit the other day.

On the rotary with M205 and a megs yellow pad worked it 1000-1500-1000 and did one stage with that in about 2.5 hours. I got 98% of the swirls out (Audi A6), and just left minor holograms. Second stage was PC with LC white and Menz FPII. Since it was just light holograms that needed removing I figured this is where I could safely shave time. I did the second stage in 1 hour and got the exact results I wanted and the paint looked perfect. Customer was extremely pleased. Thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    The key is really just getting where you want to be. Speed comes with experience, if you are achieving flawless results then dont worry about it. I usually book cars for three days just so I can take my time. I charge more money to do it, but when your work is quality you can do this.

Thread Information