Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I started on an older model Mercedes that has sentimental value to its owner (I think it was his dads or something). I exclusively use my Cyclo, but it seems to work best with light to medium oxidation/swirls/scratches. Here is a 50/50 shot of the hood (and some other pics). But this Benz is giving me H$LL! I wetsanded a portion of the hood to see how well it would work. It seems to be doing alright, but the time involved is outrageous. Any better techniques that I should know about? I will be starting back on it at 8am, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Motor compartment (before and after)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beaurogel81
    I started on an older model Mercedes that has sentimental value to its owner...this Benz is giving me H$LL!

I understand his attachment as I`m a *BIG* fan of the old W126 Benzes myself. And I understand *your* frustration as I`m a longtime Cyclo user

Without getting all new stuff (e.g. Gloss-It, which I`ve never tried), all I can suggest is that you keep at it; what you`re doing is working, if slowly.

I kinda like the yellow pads for oxidized cars, but they seem to wear sorta fast. And you might try a more aggressive product if you have it.

Man-oh-man I bet the oxidation is a PIA!

I wouldn`t wetsand it as the lacquer-based clear on those is incredibly thin and *so* easy to cut through.

Nice job of cleaning up under the hood :xyxthumbs

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine bay is looks great.

The hood however looks to be suffering from cc failure.
    ~Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Well, that will be a short welcome since the OP is "Flawless Image" who apparently created a new account to get around his bad boy timeout.

Post Thanks / Like
    There really isn`t much you can do with the clear coat failure.

It is Flawless Image... The avatar is the same as his truck and the camera used is the same Polaroid i834.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearcoat failure. Needs a repaint. Probably $500.

Superb job on that engine.
    APPLIED COLORS

PROFESSIONAL GRADE PAINT TOUCHUP KITS

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, OK...now I see the cc failure (didn`t look carefully enough). Eh...as I said, the early Benz cc was some very fragile stuff even when it was new. Think of how mild 1Z`s Metallic Polish is...and that`s exactly what it was formulated for.

As for beaurogel81 = flawless image...if it`s true well, hey, he gets a pass from me this time just because I like those W126 Benzes so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    well 17 hours later.. here she is! sorry about the picture quality. I have a crappy camera and it was dark.. A few before and afters.. Mods, you can move this thread to before and afters if it is appropriate..

Post Thanks / Like
    That engine clean looks AWESOME. It`s really tough to get an older engine to look that good. Great work.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I understand his attachment as I`m a *BIG* fan of the old W126 Benzes myself. And I understand *your* frustration as I`m a longtime Cyclo user

Without getting all new stuff (e.g. Gloss-It, which I`ve never tried), all I can suggest is that you keep at it; what you`re doing is working, if slowly.

I kinda like the yellow pads for oxidized cars, but they seem to wear sorta fast. And you might try a more aggressive product if you have it.

Man-oh-man I bet the oxidation is a PIA!

I wouldn`t wetsand it as the lacquer-based clear on those is incredibly thin and *so* easy to cut through.

Nice job of cleaning up under the hood :xyxthumbs

Thanks. And yes, my cyclo is my freakin gold mine! I LOVE that thing. Although the velcro pads completely self destructed today (im buying rhe quick disconnects and double sided pads asap in the morning). I really like the orange pads for compounding (with Ardex Alpha Grit), and Green Pads for Polishing (also Ardex). Then I follow with Ardex Paste wax (applied by hand), and then Ardex Nano-Sealant (applied by hand, EXCELLENT PRODUCT!). I really need to find a more aggresive set of pads for heavy oxidation.. Do you have any of the wool pad attachments? If so, are they worth the money? Do they speed up the process on cutting?

Post Thanks / Like
    If OP is FI and if he was/is on timeout, then he`ll be on a perma ban...
    Owner of Major Auto Works. Serving the eastern half of Puerto Rico :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    ok. well i guess im on `perma band`.. I will just create a new new under a new email from my laptop.. And then I will just keep my mouth shut and be a site lurker. Didnt try to hide the fact, even posted a picture of my truck and trailer again! Do what you gotta do, its not a big deal either way..

Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of what happens with beaurogel81/FlawlessImage, perhaps somebody will find some of the following useful..

Thanks. And yes, my cyclo is my freakin gold mine! I LOVE that thing. Although the velcro pads completely self destructed today (im buying rhe quick disconnects and double sided pads asap in the morning)...

Huh, I`ve never had problems with the velcro-backed pads :think: Well, I had the velcro wear out on a set of white finishing pads that were over a decade old..

I really like the orange pads for compounding (with Ardex Alpha Grit), and Green Pads for Polishing (also Ardex)...I really need to find a more aggresive set of pads for heavy oxidation..

You might try the yellow cutting pads, they seem to work OK for that. But they seem to wear a little fast when used with aggressive compounds...they lose a little cut after a while.

[/quote]Do you have any of the wool pad attachments? If so, are they worth the money? Do they speed up the process on cutting?[/QUOTE]

The wool pads are the same as the Edge wool of the same color. I only played around with them (yellow and blue) a few times and they did *NOT* work well for me...I got much better cut with foam :nixweiss Dunno why...maybe they`d work better with different products.

I hear LC makes their PFW pads in 4" (as well as the usual 3.5") and those might be *great* on the Cyclo.

Ditto for the SurBuff pads, at least if used with the right product (I have only very limited experience with these, and that was with the *wrong* product so I can`t say..).

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, it was the velcro that is attached to the rubber thing. the velcro hold fine.. it is the layer between the velcro and the material connected to the rubber thing. it is just glued on there and I guess after several hours straight, the heat built up enough to loosen the glue. I am currently adding shelves to the inside of my trailer and then later this evening, I am going to gorilla glue that velcro back on. if that doesnt work, then I will actually sew them on with needle and thread! ha. hope that holds.

My local supplier is clean out of orange and yellow pads! I am the only one in the area with a cyclo and I used about 20 sets of pads in the past month! I ordered more wednesday, but they are not in yet, so I got to wait till tues.. Sucks because I have 2 boats and 3 cars scheduled for this weekend.. guess im gonna have to re use some of my pads that arent quite as `rough` anymore.. the green and white pads last forever! He also told me that he ordered some blue pads that are more aggresive than the orange and yellow, so i am looking forward to that as well.. I will update with pics of trailer later tonight!

Thanks for the advice on the wool pads. I guess its because there is not enough speed with the cyclo to build up the heat to work properly?? dunno..

Post Thanks / Like
    .. He also told me that he ordered some blue pads that are more aggresive than the orange and yellow...

Huh, the only Cyclo blue pads I`ve heard about are *milder* than even the green :think:

Thanks for the advice on the wool pads. I guess its because there is not enough speed with the cyclo to build up the heat to work properly?? dunno..

I dunno why they didn`t work for me, but that was only one try with maybe three different products. Could be that a different product woulda worked great :nixweiss

Oh, and if I`m understanding you right, that`s funny about your pad-holder failure. My older Cyclo is still using the same set I got *way* back when they first came out with them...must be about 20 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information