Thread: Van setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I`m looking to purchase a van to setup for a crew. Presently, our mobile setup is in an enclosed trailer so, we don`t worry much about the exhaust from the gen and power washer. But, if we do a van setup, allowing the exhaust to blow in the van won`t work. How have those of you with vans setup your unit. I`m thinking about installing a vent out the side of the van. Just wondering what anyone else has done?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely make it vent DOWN out the floorboards, that way

A) You don`t have an ugly exhaust coming out the side of the van

Nobody will know there is a generator in there (security)

C) Quieter I`m sure

Post Thanks / Like
    i open all doors

Post Thanks / Like
    Stumpy,

Thanks for the suggestions!! I think that will work best and, for the best reason - security!!

APD,

Thanks for the reply!! If it were just me, I may consider it. But, having a crew drive around, I don`t want the potential exposure for someone claiming they were forced to breath exhaust fumes!! Don`t want the guys to have to ozne their van every time they leavee ajob!!:woot2:

Morgan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually crack the slide door and rear barn doors, with the front windows open the cross breeze takes care of the exhaust while it faces the doors. But I`ve been trying to figure out a way to pipe the muffler so I can keep the doors closed.

After some research, the problem I`ve found is after sourcing the proper materials for retrofitting the piping through the floor it`s often too stiff and combining that with the vibration of the engine causes problems. There may or may not be a flex pipe in the appropriate size, but I haven`t looked into that yet. Secondly, according to RV owners, that small diameter piping can get really hot, creating a hazard equally dangerous to the one that posed this question. I`ve been exploring other forums including RV and contractor boards looking for their solutions and haven`t had much luck.

Another alternative would be to mount one of the exhaust pass throughs that many auto repair shops use on their drive in doors. Usually they attach a crush proof 4" diameter hose to the exhaust, I cannot find anything made of a comparable material in a small enough diameter. But if you could source an alternative I think this would be the absolute best solution.

Morgan
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about putting the license plate on a spring loaded hinge, from an old gas filler setup, and mounting the pass thru port behind it.

Tricked out, Amirite?

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a sailor, I`m going to use a similar setup exhausting the engine on my 42` Catalina!

Thread Information