Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not a pro detailer, but I think this is the place to ask this question. Recentl had my 2005 merlot Z4 tot he body shop to have some minor front fender scrapes repaired. The scrapes were down and into the primer, but not into the metal. Fender and side of bumper were filled, sanded, painted and clear coated.

A few weeks after I got the car back, I noticed that there was a very little bump on top of the fender (like a piece of lint was painted and clear coated over) and at the bottom of the fender, just behind the wheel well, there was a little roughness that only was visible from certain angles (some over blown paint). Brought the car back to the shop and the owner said all could be fixed while I waited...no problem.

Here`s my question: I`m fairly particular about my car and treat like a garage queen (I use Zaino stuff, BTW), and I`m wondering how the touch up will look, especially the little bump area on the top part of the fender (the overblown paint doesn`t concern me as much as I think it won`t show up, if at all, unless one really takes a good look for it). I figure that the bump will be wet sanded and polished, but not clear coated. So, how un-noticible will the fixing of the bump be? And, not clear coating, will that make a difference down the road? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics will help!! But, the deciding factor will be; is the "bump" made up of paint or clearcoat?? If it is paint then, likely you will sand thru the clear and into the paint. If it`s clear, not such a big deal. But, IMO, you might do better to return it to the shop that did the finish work.

Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Flycaster- Welcome to Autopia! Sorry you`re having problems like this, but they seem to happen all the time.

Unless the shop has convinced you that they`re utterly incompetent and you don`t want them within a mile of your vehicle, I`d make *them* fix it to your satisfaction.

The "bump" could be in the clear, the basecoat, or *under* the basecoat so it could be a very minor problem or a rather major one.

The overspray should *NEVER* have happened, that`s real amateur-hour [stuff]. Make them fix that too as it can be a bigger deal than you`d think if the overspray has melted into the oe paint.

In either case I know that *I* wouldn`t be happy just living with it and I suspect that after a while you`d wish you`d had them do the job right too.

That "while you wait" gives me pause as it sounds like he`s planning some quick, cursory fix that might not be even close to what`s really required.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the body shop that did the job is a very reliable-been around for a long time and has a good rep When I showed them the the two points at issue, the owner said that it would be no problem to fix. I just want to be assured that the fixing wouldn`t look worse than the problem. Actually, I could probably live with the two blems, but if fixing wouldn`t be a big deal, then I`d have them fixed.

We`re having a lot of rain right now here in SoFL, so I can`t get a good picture now. So, kindly hold on, and when the rain stops, I`ll get some pics on to you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I`m not the suspicious, point-the-finger type, I believe it the responsibility of the shop to do the job correctly. The fact that he asked you to wait while he corrects the job leads me to believe that he either knew what he sent out the door or, may give it a quick shot in hopes that it is just a blem that can be addressed by surface correction. If he does, and it meets your approval...great. If not, you leave the car and he takes care of the issue. Sounds like you trust in his ability and willingness to crect the matter to your satisfaction.

Good Luck!!

Drew

Thread Information