Hi guys I`m new to these forums just joined today actually. Quickly I`m 18 years old, I`m in my second semester in college, and I hate it. In high school I had a job where I helped detail cars and I enjoyed it very much. Before you keep reading if your just going to post, "stay in school ur an idiot if you leave." just stop now I`ve heard it, I know what the risks are.

Recently I came into some money, I inherited about 10,000$ from my grandmother and it`s mine to do what I want with. I have been talking to my parents and some other people and I really think I would like to start a mobile detailing service.

Anyway down to my questions.

When I was at my old job I didn`t do everything, I never did paint touch ups or anything like that. Should I really learn how to do that before I start my business?

Also as far as equipment goes, I know the essentials are, tank, generator, pressure washer, but when It comes to steamers/spotters I`m not so sure. Which one is more important? Which one should I buy?

Concerning the business aspect of if all.

I was considering visiting local car used dealerships and offering service to them. I was gonna do something like If they give us 5 or more cars we do the first 3 free the first time they use us, and then after that 10% off every 5 cars, 20% max. Would that be a good idea?

And does anyone offer detailing for employees small businesses? My dad`s girlfriend owns a pretty successful small business and she said I should come to her office and wash and do some detailing her employees cars there. It`s easy getting her to ask her employees if they want it, but we are good friends.

How would I go about doing this for other business? I was thinking I would offer the owner a free wash with wheels done, and maybe 50% off a full detail if he talked to his employees. Also I would be offering a 10-20% discount depending on the number of cars.

Oh and the name so far is Top Shelf Auto Detailing hows that sound? Don`t steal it haha.

Thanks for any replies.