Thread: Which buffer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there, I am in love with this website and check it out daily, just to see the amazing work you guys do.. I can`t believe the work I see on here!

I have been interested in detailing for a while and want to get a buffer to play with on some old panels ...

What one would you recommend for someone that has never used one, but would like it to be good enough to decent work. I realize that the paint correction done is like an art, and I wouldnt expect to achieve that for a long time. But I would like to get a buffer to polish up my vehicles and play with.

I also know there are different pads etc.

If there are no suggestions where to start, are there books are dvd`s I can research? I cannot find any detailing seminars in Southern Ontario.

My main goal with one is to remove scratches and swirls.... obviously not to perfection but to make it look nice. I have a 2001 Tahoe black, you can imagine the swirls and scratches in it.

Thanks for you help,

Derek. G.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think any novice detailer can go wrong by starting with a PC... (Porter Cable 7424).

If your main goal is swirl removal and polishing, the PC will be more than adequate and very resonably priced.

Pads? I, personally, like 5.5" pads. They have a little more cutting power and you can get into tighter spots. Start out with 2 yellows, 2 orange, 2 whites.

Do some research on some polishes and pick a winner!

Good luck and welcome!:wavey:xyxthumbs
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Click here for:Bill`s Pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, I see M105 used a lot of think? There just seems to be so many out there... do you guys use the polisher to apply the wax aswell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek G
    thanks, I see M105 used a lot of think? There just seems to be so many out there... do you guys use the polisher to apply the wax aswell?

M105 has some pretty serious cut. You may not need it (or may, depending on the severity of swirls). M205 is also excellent for lighter swirls and finishing.

As for applying wax, I use the PC to apply Z-AIO. It is an all in on product that has a small amount of abrasive qualities. Works great... seems to work the product into the paint better that doing it by hand.

Lots of different opinions though! :grinno::grinno::grinno:
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    I would look into purchasing a PC. M105 does have some serious cut, but its also very versatile if you use a different pad. I`ve used M105 on a white pad (rotary though) before and it cut and finished down extremely well!
    Make it Shine Automotive Detailing
    Opti Coat Pro and CQuartz Finest Detailer
    Serving Greater Toronto Area, Mobile & Drop-off Service
    www.makeitshine.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Check here for the reviews of various polishes.

Polish Reviews....

This covers all polishes, not just the ones that are over-"hyped"...

Just do some reading of the threads on the site and decide for yourself....

Good luck and have fun! Spring`s comin`!!!
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaval
    I would look into purchasing a PC. M105 does have some serious cut, but its also very versatile if you use a different pad. I`ve used M105 on a white pad (rotary though) before and it cut and finished down extremely well!

That`s good to know... never tried it with a white. Hmmmm... sounds like a good Saturday project to try!!!:thx
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster
    I don`t think any novice detailer can go wrong by starting with a PC... (Porter Cable 7424).

If your main goal is swirl removal and polishing, the PC will be more than adequate and very resonably priced.

Pads? I, personally, like 5.5" pads. They have a little more cutting power and you can get into tighter spots. Start out with 2 yellows, 2 orange, 2 whites.

Do some research on some polishes and pick a winner!

Good luck and welcome!:wavey:xyxthumbs

I agree, however, I have seen different pad companies use different colors for different agressiveness, so just be cautious with what company you choose, and what each color pad represents. For example:

Lake Country CCS:

Yellow-cutting

Orange-Light Cutting

Black-Finess

Right Look Pads:

Yellow-Medium Cutting

Orange-N/A

Black-Heavy Cutting

Sonus DAS Pads:

Yellow-N/A

Orange-Cutting

Black-N/A

Green-Light Cutting

Blue-Finishing
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC kit with optimum is a good value and Optimum makes some excellent products. The polishes are very user friendly. Like others said pick up some pads, some good microfiber towels. I`ve seen several good videos on youtube that`ll teach you some stuff about proper polishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    I agree, however, I have seen different pad companies use different colors for different agressiveness, so just be cautious with what company you choose, and what each color pad represents.

Heeyyyy! Good point! I`m so used to using LC pads I kinda forgot about the others! Thanks!:laugh:
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Heeyyyy! Good point! I`m so used to using LC pads I kinda forgot about the others! Thanks!:laugh:

Not a problem. :2thumbs: I actually have all 3 in stock here for use, but I prefer the LC and Rightlook over the DAS pads anyday. I have this homemade chart made up and hanging in the garage to remind me what each one is for each company. It`s hard to see, but is hanging above the bottles.

Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    Not a problem. :2thumbs: I actually have all 3 in stock here for use, but I prefer the LC and Rightlook over the DAS pads anyday.

Very nice! I only have the LC`s & 3M`s. I`ve never heard of the Rightlook pads... did you purchase on-line?

I just bought 10 of the black 3M finishing pads from DetailerGuy for $12 shipped! I like the small pads for my PC... they don`t work well for cutting, but they are great for wax application... I use them all the time for ZAIO / Z5P app`s. :buffing::buffing::buffing:

PS. My all time favorite pads were the 5-1/2" orange flat pads from LC... unfortunately they are no longer in production... glad I stocked up!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
    Bill Luster

`00 Trans Am / `82 Vette

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I only have the LC`s & 3M`s. I`ve never heard of the Rightlook pads... did you purchase on-line?

I just bought 10 of the black 3M finishing pads from DetailerGuy for $12 shipped! I like the small pads for my PC... they don`t work well for cutting, but they are great for wax application... I use them all the time for ZAIO / Z5P app`s. :buffing::buffing::buffing:

PS. My all time favorite pads were the 5-1/2" orange flat pads from LC... unfortunately they are no longer in production... glad I stocked up!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

I did buy the rightlook pads online. For a rotary, I really like them alot. For my PC or my flex, I use the LC, only because I don`t believe that RightLook has pads under a 6.5", and with my adapters for the PC and Flex, I sometimes use the smaller pads.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    PC with 4" pads work great. But if money would allow I would go with a Flex.

Thread Information