Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    same here...in black. It corrects fairly easy as well. lost of room!

I would say the pathfinder still

I found the same thing with the paint.

I think deciding between an MDX and something like a Pathfinder will come down to how much of a SUV does someone want? MDX being FWD/AWD is a crossover and the Pathfinder is a true RWD/4x4 SUV. Different strokes for different folks. Neither is wrong though.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, so seriously: 89gt-stanger is making my laugh out loud. i think my dog think`s i`m crazy.

now i`m from detroit and typing this from detroit and i can tell you i don`t "hate" the big 3 by any means.

but don`t get "initial quality" and reliability mixed up. a subscription to consumer reports would help out a lot (even the online only one) when looking into the reliability of cars. of course there are accords and camrys that are lemons and i think all the auto buffs on autopia know that. it`s about an overall trend. surely american quality and even reliability has improved with certain car (ie ford fusion is rated pretty nicely).

other than that, be careful as gas will surely only be going up from here on out. SUVs might be tempting, but there is a reason their resell values are dropping and dropping so harshly.

i also understand the need to drive something you actual CARE ABOUT. sure some vehicles are VERY practical, but if u cringe everytime you have to get in it, then i hardly can say that sounds like a wonderful idea. that being said...

the magnum, element, hhr, and old vue all sound nice

my vote is for an armored truck

you KNOW that`d get plenty of attention...
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it`s not a luxury ride. But I work out of a Sprinter. Prior to my Sprinter I worked out of a full size supercrew f150 and trailer.

The Sprinter really is the dream ride for a detailer, imho. It has GOBS of space, looks sharp(er than any other van), I get 21mpg carrying 300 gallons of water and every piece of equipment you could imagine, has every part available new or used online/local, will last forever with a Mercedes inline-5 Turbo-D....really, I could go on and on.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Jean-Claude:

I agree that the Sprinter is the ideal platform for most mobile businesses. My father-in-law is on his second Sprinter. His first Sprinter was hit head on at 40mph. He walked away with no injuries and promply bought a new Sprinter. His Sprinter has custom cabinets, misc lock supplies/tool/merc. and still returns over 22mpg.

Morgan
    Post Thanks / Like
    My only problem with a Sprinter is how tall they are, a superb vehicle otherwise. You`ve got to be extra attentive in certain places and watch height restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    That one looks really nice but a bit small, I`m afraid it won`t be enough room to haul all my stuff?

(I don`t use a tank or generator or anything, just lots of equipment)

I`m looking at the Element base off others suggestions, and it looks like it would fit the bill.

Right now I am using my 97 Civic 2 door, and i can fit ALL my gear + clothes etc for a week long detailing trip. (no tank or pressure washer).

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought at all about the 05+ Toyota tacoma. I had one for a while and I loved it but for the landscaping business I was doing it was a little to small. The 4.0 with the 6spd manual runs awesome, I got between 16 mixed or 21 on the high way. If you put a cap on it you would have plenty of storage, they also have the power inverter in the bed to plug in your machine polishers if you didnt have access to electric. I know i used drills and circular saws off of it. Also have a 6500lb towing capacity which I had over loaded a few times. In 38,000 miles of beating the truck hard I didn`t even have to change the brakes. Just oil and gas and go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerTom390
    Have you thought at all about the 05+ Toyota tacoma. I had one for a while and I loved it but for the landscaping business I was doing it was a little to small. The 4.0 with the 6spd manual runs awesome, I got between 16 mixed or 21 on the high way. If you put a cap on it you would have plenty of storage, they also have the power inverter in the bed to plug in your machine polishers if you didnt have access to electric. I know i used drills and circular saws off of it. Also have a 6500lb towing capacity which I had over loaded a few times. In 38,000 miles of beating the truck hard I didn`t even have to change the brakes. Just oil and gas and go.

Something like this?

Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a test drive in an HHR Panel yesterday after driving the Element. I was extremely dissapointed with the element. Terrible clutch, no steering feel, and it was just as noisy on the freeway as my 97 Civic HX (which has no sound deading material)!

Anyway, I drove the HHR and immediately fell in love! It has a little more power than my civic and its about 600 lbs heavier. Looks like I`d only give up about 8-10 mpg from my civic too. It was very comfortable and almost silent on the freeway!

At this point, I`m not sure if I want the Panel or not. I wasn`t impressed with the storage compartments where the rear seats used to be, they aren`t very deep, and there isn`t much space on the floor in front of them. Whereas the normal one has the same flat floor with the seats folded, and you can still carry the fam when you need to. Hmm... I might have just talked myself into the normal HHR lol.

I am really gonna try hard to get one later this year!

Panel in white:

Panel inside:

Normal inside:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice choice. I have driven the regular HHR`s and found them to be very efficient, competent and well sorted vehicles. Best of luck with your search.

Post Thanks / Like
    My only hold-up on the HHR would be re-sale value. If it`s typical GM in re-sale, I would definitely buy a used one. You`d be much better off financially for sure.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a used HHR SS. All problems solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    My only hold-up on the HHR would be re-sale value. If it`s typical GM in re-sale, I would definitely buy a used one. You`d be much better off financially for sure.

Yeah I`m seeing low mileage 08`s for under 13k! And some 09`s for 14k.

Quote Originally Posted by XRL
    Get a used HHR SS. All problems solved.

Thought about it, but a bit more hit on the mileage. Still respectable, but enough to rule it out. I`d get the automatic one which would also hurt the mileage more, and sacrifice more hp (250hp/222tq). Both my current cars at manuals. My 97 Civic HX and my 98 Camaro with ~500rwhp. I`d like something that is nice and easy in traffic ya know? The insurance on the SS would be higher, and i`m aiming to spend a little less than the SS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes MSHU something like that I think would be perfect, throw some wheels on it and it looks flashy enough, but not too flashy that people think they are getting ripped off. Not to mention just general comfort, if I was busting my hump detailing cars all day I wouldnt want to be riding around in a little car like the HHR or element.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerTom390
    Yes MSHU something like that I think would be perfect, throw some wheels on it and it looks flashy enough, but not too flashy that people think they are getting ripped off. Not to mention just general comfort, if I was busting my hump detailing cars all day I wouldnt want to be riding around in a little car like the HHR or element.

After busting your butt all day, the HHR is SOOOO much nicer than my old civic. Good enough for me!

And after driving the two, the Element doesn`t even compare.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information