Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    I am getting the feeling that Josh wants function and luxury in ONE car, not a dedicated work vehicle...could be wrong though (based off his escalade desire)

Yes, it will be used for detailing about 85% of the time.

A suburban size Escalade would be my #1 choice, only problem is mpg and the price is still pretty high and I`ve detailed enough of them to hear the owner`s complaints of electronic issues....

I wouldn`t mind something like the new GMC Acadia or the like, it is mid sized suv, stylish and good gas, I just don`t know how well they hold up yet.

Another thought would be the Nissan Pathfinder, anyone here use a Pathfinder to detail in?

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like

Second generation (2007-present)

Second generation Toyota Tundra regular cab

Production 2007-present

Body style(s) 2- and 4-door truck

Engine(s) 4.0L 1GR-FE V6

236 horsepower

4.7L 2UZ-FE vvt-i V8

276 horsepower

5.7L 3UR-FE V8

381 horsepower

Transmission(s) 5-speed automatic

6-speed automatic

Wheelbase 126.8 (3220 mm), 145.7 (3700 mm), 164.6 (4180 mm)

Length 209.8", 228.7", 246.7"

Width 79.9

Height Regular Cab 4WD: 76.2 in (1935 mm)

Regular Cab LB 4WD & Double Cab 4WD: 76.4 in (1941 mm)

CrewMax 4WD: 76.0 in (1930 mm)

Regular & Double Cab 2WD: 75.8 in (1925 mm)

CrewMax 2WD: 75.6 in (1920 mm)

2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

A larger Tundra was introduced at the 2006 Chicago Auto Show. It had lifted cues of its smaller brother the Toyota Tacoma along with some cues from the Toyota FTX concept truck. The truck had many enhancements, such as a towing capacity of up to 10,000+ lb, a payload capacity of over 2,000 lb (910 kg), and a new 6-speed automatic transmission. The second generation Tundra has 3 engines available. A new 5.7 liter V8 that produces 381 horsepower (284 kW) and 401 pound-feet (544 N·m) of torque, a 4.7 liter V8 rated at 276 horsepower (206 kW) and 313 pound-feet (424 N·m) of torque, and a recently introduced 4.0 liter V6 rated at 236 horsepower (176 kW) and 266 pound-feet (361 N·m) of torque.

When the new Tundra first came out in February 2007 it was available in 31 configurations, which consisted of 3 bed lengths, 3 cab configurations, 4 wheel-bases, and 2 transmissions The new Double Cab replaces the previous generations Access Cab, and the all new Crew Max replaces the previous generations Double Cab, it is also built to compete with the Dodge Ram Mega Cab. The Double Cab is available with a 6 and a half foot bed, regular bed, or an 8-foot (2.4 m) long bed, while the Crew Max is only available with a 5 and a half foot short bed. The Tundra also features a new 6-speed automatic transmission with a manual shift mode which is standard with the 5.7 liter, and gives it a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds, and a quarter mile time of 14.7 seconds. The 5.7 liter is a VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing with intelligence) engine, which is built to deliver power and fuel economy. The Tundra 5.7 liter 4x2`s are rated to deliver an estimated 20 miles (32 km) to the gallon on the highway.

Toyota made the new Tundra useful for many construction workers, by including extra large door handles, deck rail system, integrated tow hitch, and headrests that can fit a worker with his hard hat on. The Tundra also includes as standard: an automatic limited slip differential (Auto LSD), vehicle stability control (VSC), traction control, electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), brake assist (BA), anti-lock brakes (ABS) and tailgate assist. However, its high starting MSRP of $22,290 makes it more expensive than the Chevy Silverado Work Truck (MSRP $17,860) and the base Ford F-150 (MSRP $17,345).

Some other changes Toyota included in the new Tundra are optional tow mirrors, a 27 US gal (102 L; 22 imp gal) fuel tank, available 22 inch alloy wheels, backup camera, Bluetooth, large center console (big enough to fit a 15 inch laptop), extra-large disc brakes, and the aforementioned 6-speed sequential automatic transmission.

The all new Tundra is assembled in two different locations, both inside the United States; Princeton, Indiana and San Antonio, Texas. Toyota Motor Company will assemble around 150,000 Standard and Double Cabs, and only 70,000 Crew Max`s in 2007.

[edit] 2008 Model Year

The 2008 model added 13 variations bringing the total to 44 model variants. The 2008 models feature additional standard features at a lower price, also include a new "Tundra Grade" trim which is lower that the SR5 trim, and geared toward trades people and the price conscious consumer.[1]

[edit] 2009 Model Year

Toyota has made E85 fuel capability standard to 2009 Tundra`s equipped with the 5.7L V8 in select regions. Toyota has also updated the TRD Sport package and added a TRD Rock Warrior package. Prices will increase 0.4% over the previous 2008 model year.[2]

[edit] Safety

Toyota`s Tundra was the first full-size pickup to have earned the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety`s Top Safety Pick, followed by the redesigned 2009 Ford F-150.[3] To receive this award the Tundra achieved an overall Good score in the frontal offset crash test,[4] the highest possible rating in the side impact collision test,[5] as well as a perfect score for rear crash protection,[6] and standard stability control.

The NHTSA gives the Tundra a four out of five-star frontal crash test rating for both the front driver and passenger.[7] A four-star rating is given to vehicles when there is an 11% to 20% chance of serious injury, while a five star rating is given when there is 10% or less chance of serious injury. [8]

The primary difference between IIHS and NHTSA frontal crash testing protocol is the IIHS conducts an offset collision where a smaller portion of the vehicle`s structure absorbs the energy of the crash.[9] According to the NHTSA offset tests are more demanding. [9] Both IIHS and NHTSA frontal impact tests can only be compared among vehicles of similar weights. [9]

Because the Tundra`s stability control is disabled when the vehicle`s 4x4 system is engaged Consumer Reports has questioned the Tundra`s Top Safety Pick. Toyota`s response is the Tundra does not feature a center differential which would otherwise serve as a weak point in the drive train.[10] However the stability control system remains operational at times when the truck is in 4x2 mode.

Standard safety features include dual side airbags for both front seats. This includes side curtain airbags for head protection in both front and rear rows and torso airbags for the abdomen region in the front row.[11] The torso type side airbag is a unique feature and unavailable on many competing pickup designs.

[edit] TRD supercharger

Toyota began selling a bolt-on supercharger kit for the 5.7L V8 Tundra during June 2008. Power output is increased to 504 hp (376 kW) and 550 pound-feet (750 N·m). When the install is carried out by a Toyota dealership the existing warranty remains intact.[12] This kit features Eaton`s Twin Vortices Series supercharger which utilizes twin four-lobe rotors, a design shared with the newly introduced C6 ZR1 and CTS-V.[13]

MSRP for the kit is set at $5,875.[14]

Edmunds tested a TRD supercharged Tundra which completed the 1/4 mile in 13.3 sec @ 103.8 mph.[15] Edmunds previously tested a naturally aspired 5.7L V8 Tundras which posted 14.8 sec @ 93.7mph time.[16]

Motor Trend`s test of the supercharged Tundra resulted in a 1/4 mile of 13.0 sec @ 106.3 mph. This Tundra needed 4.4 seconds to run from 0-60mph.[17]

[edit] Special editions

In June 2008 Toyota introduced the Ivan "Ironman" Stewart Signature Series Tundra. Three different packages are offered, one of which includes the TRD Supercharger.[18][19]

Stewart has won the Baja 500 seventeen times driving Toyota vehicles.[20]

[edit] Comparison testing

* Consumer Reports rates the Tundra as the 2nd best full-size pickup behind the Chevy Avalanche.

[21] It should be noted the Chevy Avalanche is technically an SUT or an SUV with a truck bed. The Avalanche`s rear suspension features coil springs unlike traditional leaf-springs.[22]

* Canadian Driver crowns the Tundra as Truck King, selecting it as the best 1/2-ton pickup with an engine displacing greater than 5.0 Liters, and again as best 1/2-ton with an engine less than 5.0 Liters.

[23]

* Trailer Boats awards the Tundra with its 2007 Tow Vehicle of the Year award after completing nearly two weeks of testing.

[24]

* Motor Trend declared the Tundra its 2008 Truck of the Year (TOTY) winner.[25] Other competitors tested were the Chevrolet Silverado HD, GMC Sierra HD, and Ford F-250, F-350 and F-450.[26] While the Silverado, Motor Trend`s 2007 TOTY was not in the competition, it defeated the Tundra in an earlier MT comparison as noted below.

* Motor Trend performed a Head to Head test in April 2007 with the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and the 2007 Toyota Tundra.[27] The Silverado was declared the winner.

* Truck Trend (Motor Trend) magazine rates the Tundra ahead of its GM competitor in a three round battle. This comparison occurred before the Tundra was officially on sale to the public.

1st Round [28] 2nd Round [29] Final Round [30]

* Edmunds.com places the Tundra 1st in their 1/2-ton comparison test.

[31]

* Truckin` magazine awards the Tundra Crew Max with its 2008 Truck of the Year award.[32]

* Peterson`s 4-wheel & Off Road magazine gave the Tundra a 2nd place finish in their 2008 4x4 of the Year competition. First place went to the Toyota Landcruiser [33]

* Popular Mechanics ranks the Tundra 2nd behind the Titan in a full size pickup comparison.

[34]

* In an April 2007 Comparo, Car and Driver placed the Tundra 3rd in a 5-truck roundup, behind the Nissan Titan and the Chevy Silverado. [35]

/thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    I am getting the feeling that Josh wants function and luxury in ONE car, not a dedicated work vehicle...could be wrong though (based off his escalade desire)

That`s why I bought the Maxima. I wanted something sporty with good acceleration, yet have enough room for all my stuff. I thought about buying something cheap just to work out of but why spend money if I don`t have to? I think we all are in the same boat there.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    I don`t know if you have too many choices under 20K. This summer one of my clients bought a Nissan Xterra for $22.000 or so out the door.

There is some great SUV`s out there for great prices.

eBay Motors: Ford : Expedition (item 200298695431 end time Jan-23-09 16:53:06 PST)

eBay Motors: Ford : Expedition (item 250354867895 end time Jan-19-09 13:17:05 PST)

eBay Motors: Chevrolet : Tahoe (item 220344009876 end time Jan-19-09 22:16:21 PST)

What is wrong with these? My 2004 expedition gets an average 19 mpg.
    03 Mustang GT

93 Opalescent Mark Viii

06 Navigator

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually was thinking about getting one of the new V8 Pathfinders myself. Good size, nice vehicles, and the V8 rips mid 14s stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh,

If you own the truck, I would personally suggest a good quality cap for the bed. You can purchase proper shelving and make it work for you and your needs. Honestly, I would save yourself from another car payment. When you brainstorm with what you have at your fingertips, you will save major $$$$$.. Best of luck though. And if your ford was a lease, consider a honda element. I do not have an element, but it is good on gas and when you actually look at one on the inside you will see the room capacity.

Again good luck!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    I currently have an 04 F150 and it does the job but I really need an SUV so that all my supplies are enclosed and secured when I`m detailng out of town.

A couple reasons are the truck is 19 feet long and just way too big even a suburban is slightly smaller and I only get 17 mpg on the hwy....

I want to go big and newer like a full size suburban or the likes....

I want it to look good and stylish like an Escalade....

I`d like to get decient gas, at least 19 hwy....

I want a quality vehicle like a Toyota....

So let me know what you all think? I`m open to any and all suggestions, please explain your reasoning if you would?

Thanks,

Josh
    My profession and obsession

Post Thanks / Like
    around here i have seen decent 01-03 suburbans for 5-9K so an escalde might not be too far fetched. especially right now

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have an 04 F150 and it does the job but I really need an SUV so that all my supplies are enclosed and secured when I`m detailng out of town.

A couple reasons are the truck is 19 feet long and just way too big even a suburban is slightly smaller and I only get 17 mpg on the hwy....

I want to go big and newer like a full size suburban or the likes....

I want it to look good and stylish like an Escalade....

I`d like to get decient gas, at least 19 hwy....

I want a quality vehicle like a Toyota....

So let me know what you all think? I`m open to any and all suggestions, please explain your reasoning if you would?

Thanks,

Josh

Let me try this again...

Full size SUV, good.

Escalade/Tahoe/Expedition/Navigator, good choice. All of them look great, and have lots of room, and all of the bells and whistles.

Escalade 16-19mpg

Tahoe 17-20mpg

Expedition 17-20mpg

Navigator 17-20

Everyone wants a quality vehicle, right?

Ford beats Toyota in quality rankings - Autos- msnbc.com

"Ford’s Lincoln brand, which jumped from 12th to third in overall vehicle quality, averaged 100 problems per 100 vehicles. It was behind Porsche and Toyota’s Lexus luxury brand, which averaged 94 problems per 100 vehicles."
    03 Mustang GT

93 Opalescent Mark Viii

06 Navigator

Post Thanks / Like
    89gt-stanger: We get it. Just because you`re in love with the big 3 doesn`t mean the rest of us have to be. Enough already, geez.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mshu7
    89gt-stanger: We get it. Just because you`re in love with the big 3 doesn`t mean the rest of us have to be. Enough already, geez.

I guess. I will just disregard peoples ignorance.

Have a nice day.
    03 Mustang GT

93 Opalescent Mark Viii

06 Navigator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger
    I will just disregard peoples ignorance.

Very mature response...
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Morgan
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thought would be the Nissan Pathfinder, anyone here use a Pathfinder to detail in?

Josh

First page of this thread. I only mentioned the payload because I carry about 350lbs on the hitch, if it weren`t for that it`d be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 89gt-stanger
    I guess. I will just disregard peoples ignorance.

Have a nice day.

:geez

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice clean setup there. Do the generator fumes get in the cab? You also use your customers water? Sometime I`m out in the boonies and all they have is well water. Way to hard! So I carry 70 gallons in the Escalade truck! For all the haters out there. My truck is an 2002, with 126k on the odometer. WhenI`m carrying my equipment everything is secure,and no one can see it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Shine
    Nice clean setup there. Do the generator fumes get in the cab? You also use your customers water? Sometime I`m out in the boonies and all they have is well water. Way to hard! So I carry 70 gallons in the Escalade truck! For all the haters out there. My truck is an 2002, with 126k on the odometer. WhenI`m carrying my equipment everything is secure,and no one can see it!

Do you have any full pics of your truck other then your avatar?

I`d love to see how it looks...
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I always thought a tricked out ambulance would be cool. Maybe not what you`re looking for but still cool nonetheless.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information