Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    escalade would be a selling point...keeping your car clean can show them how well you do things, and that you care about your image.

How many times have you driven by a detailing rig and its beat up, dirty, and looks like it never gets detailed? I do all the time in huntington beach area here in so cal. I just did a quick wash on my Xterra after seeing another detailing truck look hideous and thought to myself, I would never call that one...then I had to look through my filthy windshield to see! Went right home and washed the thing, spent 30 minutes on it with ONR, and it looks better than half the cars on the road today. Didnt care about getting it too washed and cleaned though, its getting a bi-yearly detail next week before going to some perspective clients houses!

Post Thanks / Like
    @Joshvette:

You are centainly entitled to purchase whatever is appropriate for you. I do agree that a clean vehicle, any clean vehicle for that matter makes a statement about your work. My suggestion for the HHR panel van is based on efficiency (30mpg), dedicated work storage space (rear seats deleted//all flat floor//hard plastic in storage area) plus space on the exterior to either apply vinyl graphics or a magnetic signs. Plus it is small enough to fit anywhere, can be have with a 5 speed stick, will not be a target for thieves/vandals ( a big problem with Escalades/Hummers here in the Northeast).

My Father-in-Law runs a mobile business (locksmith). He religiously keeps his work vehicle clean and organized because he subscribes to the mantra that a clean, well organized vehicle exudes professionalism. BTW he has a Sprinter, tons of space, Heavy duty suspension, 22-25mpg on the highway, 5 cylinder MB diesel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    escalade would be a selling point...keeping your car clean can show them how well you do things, and that you care about your image.

How many times have you driven by a detailing rig and its beat up, dirty, and looks like it never gets detailed? I do all the time in huntington beach area here in so cal. I just did a quick wash on my Xterra after seeing another detailing truck look hideous and thought to myself, I would never call that one...then I had to look through my filthy windshield to see! Went right home and washed the thing, spent 30 minutes on it with ONR, and it looks better than half the cars on the road today. Didnt care about getting it too washed and cleaned though, its getting a bi-yearly detail next week before going to some perspective clients houses!

There`s a big difference between a dirty old cargo van and a well-cared for, conservative detailing rig, like what a lot of the people in this thread have recommended. You don`t have to have an Escalade to have a presentable detailing rig!
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    This is what I`m talking about, I figure having a nicer vehicle is making a statement as well, but for some reason all of autopia doesn`t see it that way.

This is a luxury business we`re in so why not own a luxury vehicle like all my clients do?

Because you spending a lot on a car indicates you may charge more than you should.
    I do mobile detailing for friends and family. Might not be the absolute best, but I do it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if you have too many choices under 20K. This summer one of my clients bought a Nissan Xterra for $22.000 or so out the door.

Showroom Auto Detailing Bullitt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I personally like the Dodge Sprinter, plus it makes a statement that you`ve succeeded in the business, because they`re not cheap and with graphics and rims they look awesome. Especially in Black. This is also a machine built for carrying equipment in (i.e. Commercial pay load, brakes, etc.) It`s also like a driving bill-board if you want a wrap or graphics. But until I can get my hands on one, I will continue to use my 08 Sport-Trac with 22" Dip Rims and my trailer with 15" Chrome rims to match. But I`m with you on this one Josh, I think if you show up to do somebody`s car in an Escalade it just says you must do fabulous work and quality work to be able to afford it.
    The Stable:
    08 Ford Explorer Sport Trac: Company Vehicle
    05 Corvette
    01 Mustang Bullitt
    98 Explorer: Loaner Vehicle
    05 Honda Civic: Loaner Vehicle/Daily Driver

http://www.showroommobiledetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you need to look at the Element in close up. I am 6`4" and I fit great, you can take out the back seat and there is a TON of room. The plastic floor is great, with drains. Gas mileage is very nice, it will drive in tight spaces. Just get the one with out all the plastic, unless you like that.

Cheers,

GREG

ps. If I was going to haul water, PW, and full on self contained unit I would find a used Sprinter 250. They are great!
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking as a customer type, there needs to be a mix. If you show up in an Escalade, I`m not going to be impressed. I`m going to think that I`m paying too much if you can drive an Escalade. Even if its one of the older ones. But if you show up in a piece of junk beater, I`m also going to be leery.

The best option is definitely a commercial vehicle. If you don`t want to go that route, something that is mid-level is the way to go. What about something in a low mileage Dodge Durango? It`s nice, but not TOO nice...

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh,

PM AutoConcierge on here. I`ve worked with him in the past, and he has a Toyota Xrunner with a shell that has side compartments, as well as a bed slide. And with the extended cab (not full rear doors though), it adds a little bit of room to store stuff. It worked out quite well. A BIT small if I were to have a dedicated vehicle; but it did work!

I only have a pic from the rear (don`t mind the car in the fore ground ).

His philosophy was to not have an SUV because of the chemicals you`d be inhaling constantly. I tend to agree with this.
    Aaron

Owner- AC Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford Transit Connect

Based on what I read in this thread, it seems that this would fit the bill in many ways.

M2C
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDin93103
    Ford Transit Connect

Based on what I read in this thread, it seems that this would fit the bill in many ways.

M2C

:2thumbsretty cool looking van. I doubt that this is what Josh looking for though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still think the Honda Odyssey is your best bet. If I decided to get a larger vehicle that would be my first choice, especially after driving my brother`s. Pretty easy to keep clean too.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting the feeling that Josh wants function and luxury in ONE car, not a dedicated work vehicle...could be wrong though (based off his escalade desire)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    I am getting the feeling that Josh wants function and luxury in ONE car, not a dedicated work vehicle...could be wrong though (based off his escalade desire)

But under 20K?

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, that`s the tuff part! maybe used?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information