Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don`t know if I am charging the correct amount for exterior details. It seems compared to what I hear around the forums that my prices are super low.......

Right now I am charging around $180-$220 for an exterior detail. Here is what I use:

Wash:

2800 PSI Pressure Washer

Meguiars Super Concentrated Shampoo

2 Bucket Method

Clay:

Blue Magic Clay Bar

Meguiars QD

Correction:

Rotary - Dual Stand Halogens

Menzerna PG or Menzerna SIP (Depends on correction needed) (PFW LCC Pad)

Menzerna 106FF (White or Black LCC Pad)

Menzerna PO 85RD (Black or Blue LCC Pad)

Protection:

Checmical Guys Ez-Creme Glaze (If needed or requested)

Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant

Dodo Juice Hard Candy

Tire/Wheels:

Meguiars D104 Degressor

PoorBoys Wheel Sealant

Meguairs High Endurance Tire Gloss

Trim:

Black WOW

Misc:

Microfiber Towels

RainX

Meguairs PlasticX

etc.......

What do you guys think? A normal exterior detail will range between 6-10 hours depending on the paint I need to work with........

Please, I am open to suggestions

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    The price you charge can only be justified by your skill level.

Post Thanks / Like
    So your making anywhere from $18 to $36 an hour not including the price of products and possibly gas. Is that ok with you? are you doing this for a legitimate source of income or is this something your doing for family/friends on the weekend sort of thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not only do you have to look at your skill level, but you also have to look at the demographical area where you live. Average salary levels, cost of living, etc. etc.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    "you can only charge what people are willing to pay"

"you can only make as much as you set out to make"

take those into consideration, and realize its not how much I am charging that you should be basing your pricing off of. Take your competition, your value of time, and your product selection and setup a pricing structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    What will your market and ability justify?

Are you turning away business because you are booked?

Business decisions are made by defining what you want your business to be and working in that direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    Not only do you have to look at your skill level, but you also have to look at the demographical area where you live. Average salary levels, cost of living, etc. etc.
    You most definitely have to look at where you live and the market there. I charge $135 for cars and & $200 up for SUV`s and that is no buffing. I refuse to lower my price.I provide an Excellent Mobile wash/ detailing service. I carry everything in my truck. I have had some training in other areas. So right now I`m comfortable with my fees.

:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    How much YOU charge is a personal decision. If you are comparing your prices to some of the talented professionals on here, take into consideration that in addition to doing excellent work, have lots of expenses to cover. Some of mine include licensing, insurance, taxes, advertising, car expenses, office etc. This is in addition to my supplies and equipment. You made need to refine your process so that you can get more done in less time. The solution is not always to raise prices, but to be more efficient and cost effective.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Professional Detailing is unlike dishing out standard burgers at McDonalds, where cost is clearcut and prices are fixed.

It`s all about craftsmanship/workmanship, how you position your business and results that you generate.

Yes...there is probably a very general "average mkt price" (pro job) for a specific class/size/colour of vehicle. But there are no hard and fast rules on your prices.

Influencing factors:

1. Are you a mobile, home-based or shop based business?

2. What`s your original business positioning? Budget, average or high-end?

3. Do you work alone, or if you hv staff, how many?

4. If you operate a shop, you`ll need to consider your overheads.

5. How professional are you in your communication with the client?

A professional and eloquent approach, while giving new knowledge to your

customer, can also play a role in charging higher prices.

6. Do you hv any "influential/distinctive" customers?

Example: Although my business is small, I hv done cars for some ministers,

singers, chief of police in my area, as well as the local Honda franchise office when

they just cant tackle the softclearcoats. I can use this to leverage myself and justify

my higher prices.

7. Demo panels - i hv demo panels showing swirls, holograms, and swirl free panels.

Nothing is as convincing as demos.

Once you hv differentiated your business from the others, and impressed your customers with your knowledge and ability to generate results, you`ll be in a position to charge higher prices.

My ultimate tactic:

Bring your car home for a few days, don`t wash it and if you see any swirls or holograms, 50% rebate!!! I can make this offer because i go to extra lengths to ensure a pristine finish. Yes, it takes more time, but the customer will be assured.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments people!

I started on my families cars, and I haved moved on outward to local regional forums, posting my works and see what I get.......

I did some cars of the owners of tint shops, supervisors of golf courses.......and now I am waiting for the spring to come......

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to maintain a $30 an hour rate like with a 6 hour/$180 detail, then your 10 hour jobs need to go up to $300.

You should also look into doing basic details (1 polishing step/full interior cleaning and protection) if you want to go full time. If you can snag 3-4 large jobs each month (10-15 hour details) and enjoy a lot of days off, you can still make a decent living. However, there is a lot to be said for staying busy pretty much every day and a basic detail package will certainly help. You can knock out 2 a day pretty easily and at $175 each (give or take) for cars (more for large vehicles), you get $350 a day before expenses for relatively easy work. Throw in a couple high end jobs a month too and you will be doing very well.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Morgan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    If you want to maintain a $30 an hour rate like with a 6 hour/$180 detail, then your 10 hour jobs need to go up to $300.

You should also look into doing basic details (1 polishing step/full interior cleaning and protection) if you want to go full time. If you can snag 3-4 large jobs each month (10-15 hour details) and enjoy a lot of days off, you can still make a decent living. However, there is a lot to be said for staying busy pretty much every day and a basic detail package will certainly help. You can knock out 2 a day pretty easily and at $175 each (give or take) for cars (more for large vehicles), you get $350 a day before expenses for relatively easy work. Throw in a couple high end jobs a month too and you will be doing very well.

Nice details, Scottwax. :geez

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nK3y
    Right now I am charging around $180-$220 for an exterior detail. Here is what I use:

Correction:

Rotary -

Menzerna PG or Menzerna SIP (Depends on correction needed) (PFW LCC Pad)

Menzerna 106FF (White or Black LCC Pad)

Menzerna PO 85RD (Black or Blue LCC Pad)

Protection:

Checmical Guys Ez-Creme Glaze (If needed or requested)

Wolfgang 3.0 Paint Sealant

Dodo Juice Hard Candy

What do you guys think? A normal exterior detail will range between 6-10 hours depending on the paint I need to work with........

Please, I am open to suggestions

-Kyle

Sorry if I`m blunt.... I don`t really care where you are, but if you`re doing all that work for that amount, you`re cheating yourself and the industry. I`d seriously reconsider product selection and/or marketing stradegy. With the top of the line products you`re using combined with all those steps/processes, you need to change much more.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same feeling some time ago.

I had a close look at my local business and the cheap car washers in my area local to my business and then put my prices up slighty and that has done the trick I am now busy at least 5 days a week normaly 7 at the moment. I also have passing trade (about 10cars a day) just calling for a cheap Ă‚£5 wash and in one week the overheads of the unit are covered and the rest goes back into the business.

I`d charge more if i were you - but make you sure you have your bread and butter work as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    very nice info scottwax... makes me want to get good and knock out a couple wash/waxes on my days off...lol

phats
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information