Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Sp I took about a year off from the detailing gig. I do it strictly part time as a supplemental income. Would like to have something established for when I retire in 15 years. Ill only be 45 with a lot of good years to make some money. He he.

So anyway been reworking my plan. So heres what I need some help with:

1.) I used to always want to polish vehicles by machine to make it look the best possible. But with using a rotary to correct and then a pc to finish it was so long and drawn out and certainly not worth $150.00. Especially with a full interior detail. Not sure what to do. I mean are people really pleased with just a claybar and handwax. I dont feel it does much appearance wise. But people just dont pay enough to have their car polished. So what do you guys think? Maybe you have some tips because hitting the vehicle with a rotary and then the pc takes a loooooong time.

I just cant see pushing the pc any faster. Not much else it can do. And with a rotary some vehicles can be flawless but its pretty rare. I see shops do a once over with the rotary and yeah it looks good. Til it rains. I have too much pride for that. Even once over with the pc is time consuming.

Need to make this work though. Any input is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    How many hours do you spend on a car? Figure out what your hourly rate is. Then figure out what your time is worth hourly and base your pricing off that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to say at least 30 an hour. its about what I make at my regular job. but to polish a car especially an suv a dark color is quite a task where hours and final price don`t meet. make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that most detailers need to do is take a look at there expectations vs there customers expectations. We do a one step polish/wax that more than satisfys 90% of our customer(I would go as far as saying 80% we surpass there expectaions largely). This takes us under an hour, and we charge $89 + taxes. For this the customer get a complete exterior wash, clay bar, one step polish and wax combo applied with a random orbital, all seams and emblems, moldings steamed, plastic and rubber parts protected, and we finish with a spray wax, or as an option Opti Seal.

When doing a show car, yes getting rid of 100% of scratches is the goal. For the average customer, giving than shine and protection is the goal. In reality we do not strive to corect 100%, in doing so you reduce the thicknes of the clear to the lowest part of the sc ratch over a large surface, therefore reducing the life expectancy of the paint. My goal as a detailer is to give my customers what they desire, and not what I think they should need. I push protection and durability at the expense of 100% correction and showcar shine, while nice it`s not practical froa daily driver. Yes I greatly enjoy doing the jobs that allow me to work to the maximum of my skills, but in many cases this is just not practical. Our goal is 90+ dollars per hour, and in most cases we exceed this.
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    There certainly is a market for basic details (full interior cleaning/protection and clay, 1 polishing step and wax) but it doesn`t pay as well as more intensive paint corrections. You need to decide what type of details you want to do and then go about marketing yourself to that market.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    There certainly is a market for basic details (full interior cleaning/protection and clay, 1 polishing step and wax) but it doesn`t pay as well as more intensive paint corrections. You need to decide what type of details you want to do and then go about marketing yourself to that market.

I think Scott said it best. You have to find a market that you`re targeting and cater to that market. Myself, I do a lot of consumer based single stage polishes with a sealer or wax over it. I get a few complete corrections from time to time but a majority of the people I do things for want their paint to look great but not error free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    There certainly is a market for basic details (full interior cleaning/protection and clay, 1 polishing step and wax) but it doesn`t pay as well as more intensive paint corrections.

Basic details should net you the same as an intensive paint correction unless you are undercharging for your basics or overcharging for your intensives. Of course you can get more monies for a more time intensive job but if you are pricing correctly you should be able to get the same $/hr no matter what you`re doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Think of the claybar and wax as a maintenance service. Recommend Full paint correction if the car needs it, then come back every couple of months for a clay and wax.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    It really comes down to who is willing to put dollars in your pocket. Sure there are some guys that can literally live off only doing the full correction details. They have the clientel that provides them with enough work to make ends meet and then some. Most detailers aren`t that lucky no matter how good they are. I know full well I`m not. I get a few gems here and there but just to make the bills I have to take on volume work. Those are the people coming in and putting dollars in my packet. In my area the people willing to shell out many hundreds if not thousands of dollars for proper correction details are very far and few between. I`ve only had a couple even inquire about it. In other area`s (mainly the sunbelt) those types of clients are more plentiful. You can always transition yourself from one to the other if you can find the clientel. But if your looking to make some cash let your customers lead the way on what it expected and what type of price range is tolerated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well put guys. I have worked in a high volume detail shop where most cars were dealer cars and they needed to look good for the lot. I can score a lot more jobs at 125 bucks just doing a clay bar, sealant and full interior. And save a ton of time.

I just always feel like I have to get rid of those swirls(god I hate them). But yeah I have to let the customers choose. They all seem to be really into clean interiors more than anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve recently come to the conclusion that a lot of customers (at least for me) don`t care about paint correction the way I do. Therefore, I`ve taken out the polishing step out of my full detail. Now an exterior full detail is a wash + clay + sealant. I`ll explain the benefits of polishing to each client so if they want to add polishing, they can, but it will be an extra charge. This way, the price of the package is lower but I still make the same amount per hour. If the customer decides they want the polishing step(s), I`ll get paid accordingly for doing so and probably come out ahead vs. including a 1-step polish in a package.

In the end, I think you have to tailor your services around your customers` wants and needs, not your own.

For most of us, these are the types of customers that will keep our bills paid. Then, when someone comes along wanting full correction, it`s just an added bonus in your pocket.
    Mike
    Driven Auto Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wagsjr
    So I took about a year off from the detailing gig. I do it strictly part time as a supplemental income. Would like to have something established for when I retire in 15 years. Ill only be 45 with a lot of good years to make some money. He he.

Maybe you have some tips because hitting the vehicle with a rotary and then the pc takes a loooooong time.

First of all, something to bear in mind is whether you will want to be doing this kind of work when you are 45+. All of us are different, but for some the tolerance to heat/cold and the ravages of age, arthritis, repetitive strain injury on hands, arms, backs, knees, etc. makes it less desiriable.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsjr
    Maybe you have some tips because hitting the vehicle with a rotary and then the pc takes a loooooong time.

I`m surprised no one mentioned this, but many seem to be having success with the Flex 3401 in doing close to rotary correction without hologramming. Might allow you to get down to one step, particularly with some of the new polishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelM
    Basic details should net you the same as an intensive paint correction unless you are undercharging for your basics or overcharging for your intensives. Of course you can get more monies for a more time intensive job but if you are pricing correctly you should be able to get the same $/hr no matter what you`re doing.

What I meant was job for job. Going by time spent, the money is similar.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    First of all, something to bear in mind is whether you will want to be doing this kind of work when you are 45+. All of us are different, but for some the tolerance to heat/cold and the ravages of age, arthritis, repetitive strain injury on hands, arms, backs, knees, etc. makes it less desiriable.

47 here and I am still well up to the physical demands. I think that regularly skating (for years) and now road biking help keep me in shape. Definitely recovering much quicker than expected from my hernia surgery.

I`m surprised no one mentioned this, but many seem to be having success with the Flex 3401 in doing close to rotary correction without hologramming. Might allow you to get down to one step, particularly with some of the new polishes.

The Dynabrade attachment for the rotary seems to be another viable alternative.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reparebrise
    One thing that most detailers need to do is take a look at there expectations vs there customers expectations. We do a one step polish/wax that more than satisfys 90% of our customer(I would go as far as saying 80% we surpass there expectaions largely). This takes us under an hour, and we charge $89 + taxes. For this the customer get a complete exterior wash, clay bar, one step polish and wax combo applied with a random orbital, all seams and emblems, moldings steamed, plastic and rubber parts protected, and we finish with a spray wax, or as an option Opti Seal.

When doing a show car, yes getting rid of 100% of scratches is the goal. For the average customer, giving than shine and protection is the goal. In reality we do not strive to corect 100%, in doing so you reduce the thicknes of the clear to the lowest part of the sc ratch over a large surface, therefore reducing the life expectancy of the paint. My goal as a detailer is to give my customers what they desire, and not what I think they should need. I push protection and durability at the expense of 100% correction and showcar shine, while nice it`s not practical froa daily driver. Yes I greatly enjoy doing the jobs that allow me to work to the maximum of my skills, but in many cases this is just not practical. Our goal is 90+ dollars per hour, and in most cases we exceed this.

Good post. All clients do not want a Show Car detail. I give the client what he or she wants. I have a price range I stay with in for every service!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information